Elite Flashlights - The Best LED Flashlights, Chargers and Batteries
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Big Green Egg......

Default Re: The Big Green Egg......

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    SmokeLaw, it's not that hard to learn, especially if you have great online resources. Here's a great one to start with: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    Smokelaw... What he said man, its easy as pie, plus you have some fellow flashaholics to poll for additional advice.

Go for it man, you will never look back.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bthrel View Post
    Good idea, its pouring here so no grillin tonight, but that will give me time to do some reading up on your two grate method.

Brian
    With the Adjustable Rig you can put the spider below with the small CI grate, and the half circle grate on top. Works perfect!

With the Adjustable Rig you can put the spider below with the small CI grate, and the half circle grate on top. Works perfect!

I like that setup man. Seems like they make a half moon CI grate as well.
    We have a TruValue HW store near here and the owner is a big time egg head, going to have to stop by this weekend and do some shopping. The guys prices are really good as well.

Have a great weekend

Brian

My first set of ribs...

Enjoy

Wow, I just stepped into the cafe and found this. I Love the ceramic cookers - I personally have a #7 Kamado (www.kamado.com) and have been using it since around 2001. I love the way it is able to smoke for hours without any intervention and keep the temp at the right level. I will definately be back when I am not at work
    Allen

A couple of guys at work just purchased a BGE. After seeing some of the food pics here, it has me wanting one too.

Speaking of smoking... here's a pork butt I did:

Yummy looking pork, did you or have you ever brined it first? Im planning on a butt soon and will brine it this time...

Cheers

Brian

Yummy looking pork, did you or have you ever brined it first? Im planning on a butt soon and will brine it this time...

Cheers

Brian
    I didn't brine this one. I just coated it with mustard and rub, then covered it in plastic rap overnight in the fridge. Not sure I will do anything different next time, other than try a different rub and/or smoke chips.

I didn't brine this one. I just coated it with mustard and rub, then covered it in plastic rap overnight in the fridge. Not sure I will do anything different next time, other than try a different rub and/or smoke chips.
    Did it come out nice and moist? Thats been my issue as of late, but I tend to forget some of the requirements like a pan with liquid in it below the butt. Its definately a learning process.

Brian

Did it come out nice and moist? Thats been my issue as of late, but I tend to forget some of the requirements like a pan with liquid in it below the butt. Its definately a learning process.

Brian
    It was very moist indeed. Pork Butt is pretty forgiving. The key is to cook it long enough to be tender (190 deg, +/-10). There is plenty of fat content inside the meat to keep it moist.

Here is a great article on Pork Butt in general:
    http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/porkbuttselect.html

And don't forget these recipes more specific to the Egg:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#pork

Thanks for the links,

I generally shoot for 200 even, but have had a few get a little dry on me. I'll read up on the links (already had the wiz's site bookmarked) and keep on smoking.

Ever smoked a fattie (no, not that kind), its a dry rubbed sausage roll, like Jimmy Dean or such, I hear they are yummy and plan to try one soon.

Cheers

Brian

P.S. Whoo Hooo, I think this is my 100th post and its not even about flashlights, go figure.

Thanks for the links,

I generally shoot for 200 even, but have had a few get a little dry on me. I'll read up on the links (already had the wiz's site bookmarked) and keep on smoking.

Ever smoked a fattie (no, not that kind), its a dry rubbed sausage roll, like Jimmy Dean or such, I hear they are yummy and plan to try one soon.
    Try shooting for a slightly lower temp, 190-195. Also remember the temp will rise (5-10 deg) during the resting period, depending on how long you let it rest.

Never smoked a fattie before, but I heard they're good. It's on my list also.

Good luck with your future cooks, and feel free to post some pics.

Just as an update, I now have 2 LG & 1 SM...It's a sickness I tell ya

This looks awesome! I googled it and it's coming to the UK soon! Oh no, this is another thing I didn't know existed but now can't live without. I'm sure there are other good charcoal grills I can get, but I like the big green egginess of it all.

Flashaholic

It's after midnight and after checking out this thread I am so hungry for some smoked BBQ. I have admired the BGE for a few years not but other things have always seemed to take priority in my check book.

I have a Kamado, but I don't use it enough. My favorite is ribs.

Here is a turkey I "kooked".

As you can see, they are very similar to the BGE.