1500x eneloops at Amazon!

red02

Enlightened
Amazon now carries the new blue Eneloop cells for those of you who don't have a costco membership.

Wasn't an outstanding deal, so I guess this is the right place for it...

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Waiting the new eneloop to be sold in 2 or 4 pcs. hassle free packaging as I already have the old power pack.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also Sanyo writes the LSD qualities have been improved, and the new self discharge rates are a third of original eneloops.

Dell.ca, the site for Dell computers, a mail-order (web-order?) computer company in Canada, has had deals for an 8pk of Eneloop Tones (1500 charges) and a new charger that listed the included batteries as 1500 charges. Their sales rotate, I didn't pull the trigger on time.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Also Sanyo writes the LSD qualities have been improved, and the new self discharge rates are a third of original eneloops.

If that is true, then the the new Eneloops are looking at ~5% per year. That is starting to push into alkaline primary self-discharge rate territory. Ok, not quite as good, but close enough for most people.

Very impressive if Sanyo is being honest about those claims. Very impressive indeed.

Has anyone tested these at higher discharge rates to see if there is any change compared to the original Eneloops (shall we call them "Gen 1"?)?

Cheers,
BG

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't even know I was breaking new news here.
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...tdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=A4046721

Pertinent parts exerpt'ed
"Using the new improved AA-size eneloop, the charging cycles have been increased by 1.5 times. Therefore eneloop tones can be recharged up to 1.500 times. Also the self discharge has been improved. You can store eneloop tones for 3 years and still they will retain 75% of their capacity."

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I guess that the next thing we will want to talk about is discharge rate under load. Will it be improved using the newer Eneloops, compared to the "gen 1's"?

Bill

ama230

Enlightened
True, but with gas and Costco membership I think it comes out about even. Its not the greatest deal but its another alternative.

Couldnt have said it better as gas sucks and memberships/contracts super stink!!!

I wish they would go down to 30 and free super saver shipping but that is a more of a miracle, as i cant have my cake and eat it too. Darn...:devil:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pertinent parts exerpt'ed
"Using the new improved AA-size eneloop, the charging cycles have been increased by 1.5 times. Therefore eneloop tones can be recharged up to 1.500 times. Also the self discharge has been improved. You can store eneloop tones for 3 years and still they will retain 75% of their capacity."
Sure, but note that the "charge cycles" used by the industry are not what you and I call charge cycles (full discharge followed by full charge). They are some complex system of partial cycling designed to replicate "real world usage".

Also, 75% after three years is much the same as the original Eneloops. (Original Eneloops hold their charge to about 85% after one year, 80% after two years and 75% after three years.)

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Costco membership I think it comes out about even.
I have a costco corporate membership. Gives 2 extra cards, most importantly is a % of total purchases given annually as cash-back. This membership actually costs twice as much ($100), but each year it's literally paid for itself, and more, with cash rebate cheques recieved from Costco. So aside from deals or what-ever, I've literally made money off the corporate membership plan.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
True, but with gas and Costco membership I think it comes out about even. Its not the greatest deal but its another alternative.
Here's one on Amazon exactly like the Costco Tones but the ones at Costco are about 7-8 bucks cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VLAEPQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Finally, I can see one on Amazon (USA) and with free shipping. Thanks.

BTW, there has never been a Costco within 50 miles, so that's a lost cause for many of us.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh crud they "improved" them, wonder if its to late to get more of the original , before all i can buy is the "new and improved" ones?

or are you telling me that for SURE this isnt like every other new and improved product that has ever come along in the past 15 years?

Aquanaut

Newly Enlightened
oh crud they "improved" them, wonder if its to late to get more of the original , before all i can buy is the "new and improved" ones?

or are you telling me that for SURE this isnt like every other new and improved product that has ever come along in the past 15 years?

You can still get the originals on Amazon. I just canceled an Amazon order for the originals when I found out about the new and improved ones. :sold: on the new ones.

Last edited:

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
We need to see some graphs comparing the old and the new. Wonder if the new ones have lower resistance. They might even be a tad better for higher discharge applications... who knows.

I'd like to get my hands on some, but waiting for them to hit my local costco...