Help with run time estimation

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
I came across an underwater fish attractor light on ebay. Description says run time of 12 hours but im sure that it can't last that long. It has 3 green led's run on 3 lr44 batteries. There is also a version that has only 1 led but also drivin by 3 lr44 batteries. Assuming it's directly driven, how much runtime should one realisticly expect?

If you plug "Green LED Deep Drop Underwater Fishing Squid Light XL" into ebay you'll see what I'm asking about. Ebay links expire so im not including one

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
it will run the 12 hours , really.
but it will start dwindling down in output from the moment you turn it on.
use it in bursts and the alkaline button battery will cope with it much better.

it is hard to say where you would "probably want to replace" the batteries, because given a rest they will burst up pretty nice.
generally though if i was guessing for Myself, i would say 4 hours per led (on the trio), with 3 leds give it a couple of hours before i would want to replace it.
BUT
again, if you try and run it non-stop , it wont be 10 minutes before you wish it had new batts, and give it a rest say 80% off and you will be happy with it for a couple of hours run.

also if you want slower running longer life you could substitute a sr44 silveroxide, which wont burst or even get as high as the alkaline but will run for almost 2x as long and not dwindle as much.
Also if you can STUFF more in the package and get 4x Silveroxide in, it is a good combo, but i wouldnt expect it to fit.

if you want real RUNtime, you going to have to get something with battery, this wont ever be anymore than a keylight or is that keyLure :).
if they think that fish like leds, why dont they make it blink too?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Green-LED-Deep-...296?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cee4d94e8
ohh i get it, its the nuclear waste curious fish lure, what are you going to do if the fish is wearing a Hazardous waste suit :thumbsup:

Last edited:

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
Actually it does blink. The description says that it has blinking and constant on mode. I'm not intersested in blinking mode though. I think the blinking is to attract squid. Since im nowhere near any oceans, there will be no squid fishing for me. Im interested in using the constant on to attract schools of bait fish to my bait. The school attracts big fish. The big fish takes the weakest bait, the one that is attached to my line. Thats how it should work in theory. The blinking would scare off fish i think. If you shine a flashlight at the water at night, you'll see that the bait fish will scatter away but then a few seconds later they come back and school in the light.

It probably won't run long enough in constant on mode. I found a one AA version. It should be more ideal in terms of runtime, but it is a white led. I want green. Acording to various websites, green and blue penetrate water better and attract fish better. All the big expensive 12v systems that are inteded to be installed under a dock are green. I might give the white one a try and swap the led for green.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes exactally like that. shoot the light into the water they scatter, then turn it off they come back, leave it there and they dont see it as a threat anymore.
but the junk fish in the creek here didnt show any curiosity for the green Laser hanging out in thier water, if anything they stayed clear of it. and they didnt care about any of the colors with my rgb stuff either. but these are Urban fish.

will be interesting to see what happens.

http://www.fishinglightsetc.com/Howtheywork.html
Why then are fishermen catching more fish using the
submersible lights than ever before? It's actually quite simple, light starts a natural food
chain reaction by attracting a concentration of small microscopic animals called plankton

now that makes sence. sooo wouldnt a nice almostUV light be the best?

Base on visual receptors, the light should be
blue or green - the space colors of fish and members of their food chain. However, while blue
or green colored light is a desirable feature it is not essential. Even if fish or members of its
food chain have color receptors in their eyes centered at the blue or green spectrum, these
same receptors have a broad but decreased sensitivity to other colors. Therefore, if a fishing
light source is intense enough, other colors will also attract. For example, a sodium vapor
light with its characteristic yellow color will attract fish - if intense enough. A fishing light
attractor can also be white light because part of its total energy is in the blue to green region.

The perfect fishing light would have the following properties: 1) high intensity, 2) emit its light
in a color similar to the fishes space (blue or green), 3) be powered by a portable electrical
supply and 4) be submersible.

and now they change and say it is what the fish sees, not the plankton.
Then they completly ignore, that if you want to attract the big fish, receptors or not RED blood colors and hungry fish go together :)
seems when you get right down to it, you just do the same thing above ground, you do submerged. put lots of light out at night and confuse everything seeking it. doesnt mater what color , just fake the sun.

Last edited:

Latest posts