LED Driving lights for a motorcycle

300winmag

Enlightened
I am looking at the following lights
Clearwater lights, "Krista" model
Twisted Throttle, "Denali" model
Rigid Industries, "E" Series
Vision X
and on and on but they are all so expensive. I'm thinking I could just get someone here to build me a set of dimmable high power lights
At this point I am wondering if there is anything else I am over looking....

Fred Gassit

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at a similar set-up as well.

the Duallys look nice but a bit overpriced for what they are.

lowes48

Newly Enlightened

Curt R

Enlightened
There are LAWs regarding the beam pattern for motor driven lights.
You also must have the proper electronics that can sustain voltage
spikes of up to 70 volts. Proper heat sinking and optics are also
required. If there are manufacturers that have complete systems
for bikes, buy them, the cost is worth it verses trying to start from
scratch if you have not been into building LED lights.

Curt

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-2/Black-Model-44-LED/Detail.bok

I have been looking at getting this. Does anyone know how much it would cost to build something similar or better? I have full access to a machine shop and I'm wondering if these are worth it vs the hassle?

That light runs to hot. The housing barely dumps the heat from 10w which would be in the 600-700lm range(single P7, SST50, MC-E, or multiple smaller LED). The light's life will depend on 'wind chill' and on heat-sinking to frame of the bike. You can find the light at lower power settings, usually on ebay or other 'China' or 'India' importer websites, or modify this light by swapping in a lower power driver.

You can make something equivalent. There are lots of builds here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?86-Bicycle and most of the lights can be adapted for other purposes.

And, anything you 'add' to the stock lighting is considered off-road usage only.

01xr650r

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Yes I know off-road only :p I ride dual sports and would like some more lighting. I was trying to retrofit a HID projector, but they are just too damn long for any decent looking headlight on my bikes atleast. I thought adding 1-2 lights like these would help a lot for those dark dirt roads. I'll poke around that part of the forum some and see what I can come up with. Thanks again!

I was also wondering does anybody possibly know of a shorter bi-xenon HID projector? I've checked out the mini D2S but it is just too long without moving the headlight/numberplate forward a few inches, which doesn't look very well.

Last edited:

Waterman123

Newly Enlightened
LED lights on my motorcycle would look killer. What a concept. They would handle the heat and vibration better and hopefully provide a brighter white light. I am going to have to look into retro-fitting my bike. Thanks for putting the idea in my head.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
You might want to move this thread to "Automotive." There's a lot of discussion there, including good knowledge of what is legal and what is not.
In general, changing the type of light source (incandescent to HID or incandescent to LED) is never legal. As a motorcyclist, I know we sometimes get away with a bit more than do automobiles. And I certainly have an interest in being visible. But this particular forum is VERY strict about never advocating anything illegal. Just a word to the wise.

For what it's worth from the research standpoint: Even before I got the word about legality, I was looking into LED replacement bulbs for my motorcycle. I found that most of the LED bulbs for sale used a lot less power but actually put out less light. The only bulb that seemed to put out more light was an LED cluster so big that I'd have to do major surgery to my reflectors to get it in. Also, LED bulbs (and this matches my experience with LED indicator bulbs in the control room at work) tend to be more directional than the incandescents they replace. So if you are in line with the light, it seems very bright (annoyingly so for some of my indicators), but get off to the side a bit and you are suddenly not getting enough light. I guess that's the reason it's illegal to change the light source in a lamp.

But there is a great selection of LED lights available today. Most of the "names" in trucks and trailers, such as Grote, Dietz, etc. offer LED lights of all sorts. For a quick sample, there's a wrecker and service truck supply outfit called A&W Direct (go to www.awdirect.com ) that offers quite a bit of that stuff and they ship quickly. I'm thinking to stick with my stock taillight bulbs, but maybe add a couple of LED running lights on my hard bags (use a quick-connect, because my bags are detachable) to increase my rear visibility.

In front, I have standard wattage Phillips Xtreme Power H4 bulbs (next time, I'll get Xtreme Vision) in the headlights. I'm going to upgrade to heavier wiring with relays, but stay with stock wattage. I believe I can just barely carry a pair of Soltek Fuego HID driving lights with my high beam, and a pair of yellow Cibie H2 fog lamps with low. Big white headlights top center, and yellow lights as low and wide as possible, should give a nice contrasting "triangle of safety" from the front.

One thing about LED's, they really don't take much power. Bikes have small charging systems. One could add side markers and use very little power.

wintermute76

Newly Enlightened
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-2/Black-Model-44-LED/Detail.bok

I have been looking at getting this. Does anyone know how much it would cost to build something similar or better? I have full access to a machine shop and I'm wondering if these are worth it vs the hassle?

I was looking at these also, but for my Bombardier Outlander ATV. The 2 stock 35W halogens just don't cut it on the odd times I'm out at night.

Same thing tho, I'm a machinist and would like to build my own.

Thinking a dual setup, one flood and one spot for distance. Mounted on my handlebars.

Danjal

Newly Enlightened
Funy you mention the ADV monster lights and making a set.. thats why im here on this site now. Im wondering if I can make a better mousetrap (LED driving light in this case), or a cheaper one. As far as they go, they're great. I own the 30 and 60 watt models. Both put out about the same amount of light in at distance, but the 60 spreads it much further. A couple of the 30 watt models would work great if used with the headlight and beams setup on your bike for the right distance apart.

Im setting my bike up for the 60w for road use. I wouldnt turn it on with oncoming traffic, but theres TONS of deer here in my area, so its going to sit higher and get turned off with oncoming traffic. Rural roads arent so much of a worry for traffic at night compared to a constant on city environment.

Heres his thread on ADV rider. Tons of info as far as motorcycle on/off road use, dimming, mounting, and sometimes discounts on new products.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184

Last edited:

Hilldweller

Enlightened

ThunderLizard

Newly Enlightened
You might want to move this thread to "Automotive." There's a lot of discussion there, including good knowledge of what is legal and what is not.
In general, changing the type of light source (incandescent to HID or incandescent to LED) is never legal. As a motorcyclist, I know we sometimes get away with a bit more than do automobiles. And I certainly have an interest in being visible. But this particular forum is VERY strict about never advocating anything illegal. Just a word to the wise.

For what it's worth from the research standpoint: Even before I got the word about legality, I was looking into LED replacement bulbs for my motorcycle. I found that most of the LED bulbs for sale used a lot less power but actually put out less light. The only bulb that seemed to put out more light was an LED cluster so big that I'd have to do major surgery to my reflectors to get it in. Also, LED bulbs (and this matches my experience with LED indicator bulbs in the control room at work) tend to be more directional than the incandescents they replace. So if you are in line with the light, it seems very bright (annoyingly so for some of my indicators), but get off to the side a bit and you are suddenly not getting enough light. I guess that's the reason it's illegal to change the light source in a lamp.

But there is a great selection of LED lights available today. Most of the "names" in trucks and trailers, such as Grote, Dietz, etc. offer LED lights of all sorts. For a quick sample, there's a wrecker and service truck supply outfit called A&W Direct (go to www.awdirect.com ) that offers quite a bit of that stuff and they ship quickly. I'm thinking to stick with my stock taillight bulbs, but maybe add a couple of LED running lights on my hard bags (use a quick-connect, because my bags are detachable) to increase my rear visibility.

In front, I have standard wattage Phillips Xtreme Power H4 bulbs (next time, I'll get Xtreme Vision) in the headlights. I'm going to upgrade to heavier wiring with relays, but stay with stock wattage. I believe I can just barely carry a pair of Soltek Fuego HID driving lights with my high beam, and a pair of yellow Cibie H2 fog lamps with low. Big white headlights top center, and yellow lights as low and wide as possible, should give a nice contrasting "triangle of safety" from the front.

One thing about LED's, they really don't take much power. Bikes have small charging systems. One could add side markers and use very little power.

If I may suggest, check your state laws about adding lights with your high beams... Many jurisdictions stipulate that there must be a cutout so that fog/driving lights work with the low beams but NOT the high beams. Just a thought!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I may suggest, check your state laws about adding lights with your high beams... Many jurisdictions stipulate that there must be a cutout so that fog/driving lights work with the low beams but NOT the high beams. Just a thought!
Fog and driving lights are two different things - fog lights should be on with park lights or low beams, they are designed to illuminate the edges of the road as you creep along in heavy fog.
they should have a cutoff similar to low beam lights, so they don't blind other road users

Driving lights should NOT be on with low beams, they do not have a cutoff, and are designed to throw a lot more light out, similar to a high beam - they should be switched so they come on with the high beams, and go off when the high beams are dipped.
they should really be called "auxiliary high beams" and not "driving lights"

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Driving lights should NOT be on with low beams, they do not have a cutoff, and are designed to throw a lot more light out, similar to a high beam - they should be switched so they come on with the high beams, and go off when the high beams are dipped.
they should really be called "auxiliary high beams" and not "driving lights"

The whole DRL movement causes a few issues when people substitute the lower output DRL's for driving lights (or diffused lamps) :shakehead

cujet

Newly Enlightened
I ride a KTM 380EXC (dirt bike) and do a good bit of night riding. I'm currently using an "Orion" dual 30W HID (MR16 size) and it's not good enough. They are not full sized HID's. Plus they flicker annoyingly at times.

I've been looking at all of the above products and a few others.

However, it's been impossible to determine what's quality and what's not. Other than paying $400 from Baja Designs.

383AvalancheSS

Newly Enlightened
I have the rigid e series lights on my vehicles and they are without a doubt a top notch product