Why are no big manufactuers using 18650+XPG+Aspheric?

gav6280

Enlightened
Why doesn't one of the big dive light manufactuers pull ther finger out and make a good looking all metal edc style dive torch with a single XPG and an aspheric lens using a single 18650 or even AA's?

We could easily make use of 300 odd lumen into 3 deg, sounds good to me.

I know MB-Sub do something along these lines, but i think its a really odd shape and quite ugly, and i cant see anyone else doing anything atall?

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is another manufacture using aspherics. Can recall their name though. But not a big player.
Also I think UK Kintetics do a 18650 powered aspheric based light but its plastic and only 100 produced lumen

But to get 300 lumen into a 3 degree beam from a XP-G would require a large aspheric and over driving the XP-G so it produces 600 lumen since XP-G's and aspherics make very inefficient combinations. You would be better off with a XR-E.

Wouldnt it be great if someone made a 1000+ lumen LED with a 50 degree angle or less!!

jspeybro

Enlightened
Not really sure. greenforce seems to have an xpg head now, but it's one of those triple/quad LED setups with a TIR optic that does not give the beam what we want. also not really oriented to single battery usage.

I think a major issue is that manufacturers prefer to sell what they have as long as that sells good enough and only innovate when necessary. and when they do, they need to change the electronics, which may not be trivial with current lead times of components.
you can't expect a company that takes itself serious to buy drivers from kaidomain.

anyway, consumer market is always months to years behind on the state of the art optoelectronics.

I also think that many manufacturers need to use distributors/dealers to get their products to the customers, so a significant effort is needed and they need to sell their product to make profit, so even if they want to innovate, this may not be in their best interest.

Johan

mbsub

Newly Enlightened
I know MB-Sub do something along these lines, but i think its a really odd shape and quite ugly,

HE, he!!
You are right, it´s not a Design-lamp, but a good function is never ugly!

Michael

easilyled

Flashaholic
The XRE package is much more efficient than the XPG for use in combination with an Aspheric lens for 2 main reasons that I know of:-

1) Narrower beam angle of emission so more light trapped by Aspheric.

2) Higher surface brightness due to smaller die size enabling superior throw.

gav6280

Enlightened
HE, he!!
You are right, it´s not a Design-lamp, but a good function is never ugly!

Michael

Micheal what is the lens arrangement in the X1 - FF?

Any plans in the future to build the light we are all waiting for!!!something like an MCE or SST50 or P7 X1 - FF (As in a small compact hand held 500+ Lumen with very narrow fixed focus from maybe a couple 18650's)

mbsub

Newly Enlightened
Micheal what is the lens arrangement in the X1 - FF?

Any plans in the future to build the light we are all waiting for!!!something like an MCE or SST50 or P7 X1 - FF (As in a small compact hand held 500+ Lumen with very narrow fixed focus from maybe a couple 18650's)

In the X1-FF is the same aspheric lens like in our X1-VB. In the X1-VB this lens is movable of course.

Our next project is to change our PHOTON to the SST-50. In this lamp we dont will use an aspheric lens, but a reflector. So the beam will be a good narrow beam with spill of course. The PHOTON use 3 x 18650 cells, but LiMn rechargeables batteries.
I dont see any sense in a light with 3° beam without spill and with more than 300 Lumen.

Michael