Imalent        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tri-V lens cap sales thread

Default Re: Tri-V lens cap sales thread

Quote Originally Posted by taewoopa View Post
    Can I have the info about shipping ,esp, when ?

Thank you.
    Yes, this would be appreciated please.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Quote Originally Posted by taewoopa View Post
    Can I have the info about shipping ,esp, when ?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    Yes, this would be appreciated please.
    Don't know exactly just yet. I have to redo the molds to make a slight change that will allow it to grab a little more firmly. This decision was reached after fasteddie had a chance to try them out in the real world. Sad part is I already made about 30 of them so those are just going to be a loss I guess. Once the molds are done and the parts tested it should be no more than 2 months before all are shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    Don't know exactly just yet. I have to redo the molds to make a slight change that will allow it to grab a little more firmly. This decision was reached after fasteddie had a chance to try them out in the real world. Sad part is I already made about 30 of them so those are just going to be a loss I guess. Once the molds are done and the parts tested it should be no more than 2 months before all are shipped.
    I would not doubt that they sometimes pop off in your pocket. It seams like a possibility.

However, you could just send them out and let us decide if they work. I do not know of course as I have not seen one yet but I suspect they may be just fine as they are for some uses. What if you just put a small rubberband around the light?

Cheers
    Dave

My binocular caps fall off too.
    No worries on my part, if you have mine ready I'll take them as they are.
    I'll be using a tiny bit of ribbon to attach it to the light, so if it falls off, it won't fall far. AND, then you can just flick it off , use the light & not worry where it may have landed.
    Last edited by Launch Mini; 10-06-2010 at 02:48 PM.

It seems like the best solution is one that would require recalling people's Tri-Vs: machine a groove into the inner surface of the aspheric lense shroud, and make a new mold to match, so the molded caps would have a lip that would snap into the matching groove on each light. Failing that, I dunno what to suggest. Is there any chance a small pressure differential is causing the lense cap to pop off? Putting a small hole in the center of the lense cap would solve that problem, if it exists.

Isn't hindsight grand?

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    It seems like the best solution is one that would require recalling people's Tri-Vs: machine a groove into the inner surface of the aspheric lense shroud, and make a new mold to match, so the molded caps would have a lip that would snap into the matching groove on each light. . . .Isn't hindsight grand?
    That is ridiculous! Cutting metal away from that area would throw off the optical balance and force a complete redesign of the flux capacitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    and force a complete redesign of the flux capacitor.

Flashlight Modifications available upon request
    "I have to go return some video tapes." -Patrick Bateman

That is ridiculous! Cutting metal away from that area would throw off the optical balance and force a complete redesign of the flux capacitor.
    Riiiiiiiight...

I would not doubt that they sometimes pop off in your pocket. It seams like a possibility.

However, you could just send them out and let us decide if they work. I do not know of course as I have not seen one yet but I suspect they may be just fine as they are for some uses. What if you just put a small rubberband around the light?

Cheers
    Dave
    Well I am almost already done with the first redone mold. Should be able to get the first part done tomorrow. Will get an example sent out to you and fasteddie soon. I really was quite unsure about v1.0 so just sent it to him to test. This also gives me an opportunity to refine the part line.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    It seems like the best solution is one that would require recalling people's Tri-Vs: machine a groove into the inner surface of the aspheric lense shroud, and make a new mold to match, so the molded caps would have a lip that would snap into the matching groove on each light. Failing that, I dunno what to suggest. Is there any chance a small pressure differential is causing the lense cap to pop off? Putting a small hole in the center of the lense cap would solve that problem, if it exists.

Isn't hindsight grand?
    Well there is no need for hindsight in that regard. He already has this in the design of the Tri-V. That is precisely what I am adjusting the mold to take advantage of.

Here's hoping it works.

Originally Posted by Data:

'and force a complete redesign of the flux capacitor.'

Sounds like sub-space distortion to me.

Quote Originally Posted by aikiman44 View Post
    Originally Posted by Data:

'and force a complete redesign of the flux capacitor.'

Sounds like sub-space distortion to me.
    Where do I buy the 1.21 gigawatt batteries for my Tri-V?

No problem .. I can wait !

Take care and cheer up ..
    J.J

TiHolic Damascus Addict

Michael,

Just a couple of questions for you regarding the cap "pop off" issue. Obviously these are friction fit, is it possible to consider making the mold with the inner diameter area around the aspheric slightly larger so the finished cap would ultimately have a more pressed fit when the cap is in place? Maybe the end implementation would be like having to pop the cap in place and pop the cap off to remove it. Also, Is it possible there might be a correlation between the types of materials being used as in translucent versus cast, where the stiffness and or flexibility of the material might be better suited to grip the inner side walls better?

Just some thoughts regarding this issue. Personally, I would hate to see a hole in the center of my cap, but that's just me. I am sorry you had already made a few of these, but I am glad you are taking your time to get them as close to being the best they can be the first time out.

Thanks again to you, fasteddie and Data for making these happen.

JM

Quote Originally Posted by ledcarry View Post
    Michael,

Just a couple of questions for you regarding the cap "pop off" issue. Obviously these are friction fit, is it possible to consider making the mold with the inner diameter area around the aspheric slightly larger so the finished cap would ultimately have a more pressed fit when the cap is in place? Maybe the end implementation would be like having to pop the cap in place and pop the cap off to remove it. Also, Is it possible there might be a correlation between the types of materials being used as in translucent versus cast, where the stiffness and or flexibility of the material might be better suited to grip the inner side walls better?

Just some thoughts regarding this issue. Personally, I would hate to see a hole in the center of my cap, but that's just me. I am sorry you had already made a few of these, but I am glad you are taking your time to get them as close to being the best they can be the first time out.

Thanks again to you, fasteddie and Data for making these happen.

JM
    The diameter cannot be increased any more than it is. I was quite happy that my calculations worked so well in that respect. Any more and it would bow too much.

Neither the material used nor any of the additives are the culprit. It is a combination of it being only press fit and the area around the flood being so easy to catch on things.

Not sure what you are referring to about it having a hole in the center. There is no hole.

Don't worry. I think I have a pretty good grasp of all the factors at play. Thanks though.

Too dang bad that a redesign of the mold was needed but we'll all wait--some patiently, others not. Redesigning and customizing the light to fit the cap though...? Was said in jest I'm sure and it did give me a chuckle.. I can use a chuckle in the morning when I go to shave---YIKES! I was thinking of changing the size of a set of custom wheels to fit a set of tires that wouldn't fit...another chuckle...

Whatever time it takes. I do look forward to the caps however and in the meantime continue to use and EDC my Tri-V, carrying it in a RipOffs belt holster. So far, as far as I can tell, the worst in wear appears to be some dust which I blow off when I get a chance--my very own personal hot air!

Carry on, we're all still here and most appreciative!

Karl

You posted this info on 10/06/2010.
    Did the new molds come out okay?
    Were they sent out to fasteddie and Data?

Well I am almost already done with the first redone mold. Should be able to get the first part done tomorrow. Will get an example sent out to you and fasteddie soon. I really was quite unsure about v1.0 so just sent it to him to test. This also gives me an opportunity to refine the part line.
    Here's hoping it works.

Quote Originally Posted by cnjl3 View Post
    You posted this info on 10/06/2010.
    Did the new molds come out okay?
    Were they sent out to fasteddie and Data?
    I did indeed get the first part off the new mold done the next day. I was so eager to pull it out and see how it turned out though that I didn't wait for it to fully cure and the lip pulled off. Well that was the reason I thought at the time. So I made another one and made sure to wait longer but when I pulled that one out it was also not attached very well either. I found out why and adjusted the mold by cutting off a little sliver that was creating an undercut. I also took a little slice off the side of one part to increase the wall thickness at a spot that was real thin. So I have a cap from this latest update curing right now. I am going to wait till tomorrow to make sure it is cured enough and test it for fitment and durability.

Why not send the original ones out?

At least I'll have something to use.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
    Dave

I love updates. Sounds like we are headed towards a fantastic improved Version 2 lens cap. I know that we all want them ASAP but you jumped the gun and made 30 of them before any testing. Still, it doesn't seem fair to me that you take a loss. Is 30 lens caps enough quantity for the entire first run order? What about offering the first run at 1/2 price and including them with your newest batch or maybe some members would want them shipped immediately? Hey, just tossing this idea out there so that you don't get burned beyond recognition. Okay maybe that sounds a little dramatic but you get the picture.

I did indeed get the first part off the new mold done the next day. I was so eager to pull it out and see how it turned out though that I didn't wait for it to fully cure and the lip pulled off. Well that was the reason I thought at the time. So I made another one and made sure to wait longer but when I pulled that one out it was also not attached very well either. I found out why and adjusted the mold by cutting off a little sliver that was creating an undercut. I also took a little slice off the side of one part to increase the wall thickness at a spot that was real thin. So I have a cap from this latest update curing right now. I am going to wait till tomorrow to make sure it is cured enough and test it for fitment and durability.

Flashaholic*

Let's not have an imperfect accessory for a perfect tool.
    Junk the first batch and I'll gladly pay more for the second run to compensate.

Well there is no need for hindsight in that regard. He already has this in the design of the Tri-V. That is precisely what I am adjusting the mold to take advantage of.

Here's hoping it works.
    Excellent, but... is mine missing the machining line in question? Or are you latching onto the grooves on the outside of the aspheric shroud instead? Now you've gone and made me curious.

Just a short update to let everyone know that the revised caps were dispatched to fasteddie and Dave for testing the other day. Should get some feedback soon.

Excellent works !!
    Hope you got good feedback..
    J.J

TiHolic Damascus Addict

Flashaholic*

Glad I checked in today. I'll be on the lookout for the package. Thanks for all your hard work on this project.
    .: I spent most of my money on women and toys. The rest I just wasted :.

Nice work Michael. I can't wait to hear the input back from Fasteddie and Data.

JM

So what does the new improved lens cap look like?
    Is the MCE now covered all the way around instead of only three sides?

Just a short update to let everyone know that the revised caps were dispatched to fasteddie and Dave for testing the other day. Should get some feedback soon.

Michael,

The lens caps you sent me are perfect! Thanks for all your hard work. I am just amazed at how exact the rubber parts came out. You are the MoldMaster!!

cnjl3, they do not look any different on the outside at all.

I put one on my light two days ago and it has not come off in my pocket yet.

Cheers
    Dave

Michael,

The lens caps you sent me are perfect! Thanks for all your hard work. I am just amazed at how exact the rubber parts came out. You are the MoldMaster!!

cnjl3, they do not look any different on the outside at all.

I put one on my light two days ago and it has not come off in my pocket yet.

Cheers
    Dave
    I should have included a note in there for you. I sent several different ones to you so you could see the different colors and such but only one has the newer lip. It was one of the black ones. Let me know if you think it is better that way or not. If so I will make both molds that way. BTW what do you think of the tiger striped one? I was just having fun seeing what was possible. Glad you like them.

I should have included a note in there for you. I sent several different ones to you so you could see the different colors and such but only one has the newer lip. It was one of the black ones. Let me know if you think it is better that way or not. If so I will make both molds that way. BTW what do you think of the tiger striped one? I was just having fun seeing what was possible. Glad you like them.

The tiger stripe one is very cool.

I gave the only black one to London Lad as he was just at my place for a visit. I did not know it was different than the others.

Cheers
    Dave

The tiger stripe one is very cool.

I gave the only black one to London Lad as he was just at my place for a visit. I did not know it was different than the others.

Cheers
    Dave
    Can you get it back?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast