Battery Junction - Olight
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

Default 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

And now for the next installment of: "I'm going to watch the grass grow over the next few (many) weeks and see what time will tell us."

Here's my latest test... At 2pm ET today, I fired up 2 tactical UI XP-E R2 Quarks and for extra added kicks: a AAA ReVo (no real moonlight mode on this one)

One of the Quarks is a single AA, the other, a 2xAA.

Update: And now, a 1x123 courtesy of Scout24 running on a Surefire primary. Thanks Scout!! (Test concluded, see results below)
    Update: Amigafan is also running an XP-G on a SAFT 14500 lithium primary. Thanks Amigafan!!

The AA and AAA lights are running on Energizer lithium primaries (L91 Ultimates).

Why lithium primaries you ask?

Here's my rationale. After the last test, it became clear to me that the practical runtimes of these lights are far beyond most (repeat, most) anyone's needs.

We already know that a single alkaleak will get you close to 475 hours in moonlight, and covers most everyone's likely scenario: Storm= power out= I need a light, oh, here's what half used alkaline bulk pack I have in the junk drawer.

The rest of us most likely use the NiMh chemistry for EDC needs and we also know that they can do ~300 hrs.

(See those results here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=288379)

That leaves (and thus forms the basis of this test) the survivalist, the serious distance hiker and the rest of us BOB fanatics looking for long term, stable storage combined with lightweight and super stored energy in a primary: enter the lithiums

Yes, the SAFT primaries look mighty exciting, but they are ~5 bucks each and are not exactly available at you local super market or camping/hiking store

As with the last test (and based on how long that one went) I'll check the lights @ roughly 12 hour intervals and make updates here ~every 24 hours as I expect this to be a long one at the tail end when that 2xAA just keeps going and going.

I'll also update if anything changes...

Hope you enjoy this one as well folks, I'll get some pictures up later.

As with the last test, I also wanted to note (based on the recent banner warning against shilling) that I am running these tests for my own knowledge and to share with others in this forum. These were lights purchased with my own money for my personal use and I am in no way endorsing ANY brand of light, battery, accessory or dealer. Any of my opinions in this thread are my own, and you, as a reader, are free to form your own conclusions about the data presented here.

Regards,
    Darvis

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Results
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Preon ReVo 1xAAA (Energizer Ultimate Lithium Primary) ~82 hours continuous to off @ .90v

Preon ReVo 1xAAA (Duraloop NiMh) 43.5 hours continuous to off @ .89v (Test courtesy of Beacon of Light )

Quark 1xAA (Energizer Ultimate Lithium Primary) ~336 hours (14 days) continuous to off @ .40v
    Last edited by Darvis; 10-27-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Default Re: 4 Sevens (lithium) Moonlight Runtime Test

Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

Looking forward to the results. Thanks!

Flashaholic*

Here is some competition for you :

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=132584

p.s. not really but similar in thought process.
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted Goodness.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyTaco View Post
    It's just hard to read a book by the light of a locator blinky beacon

Flashaholic

I just received my Quark 123 R5... I would test it too but I would not be able to use it for 15days? lol That too much!
    Artur

Three cheers for you, Darvis. You're answering the questions many of us have had a long time.

I'll nominate you to receive the "Roy's Runtime Trophy" to honor your work and that of the late Roy.

Geoff

Looking forward to seeing how this goes. Kudos to you, Darvis, for setting this up.

Regards

Harry

You, Sir, have more patience than I. I will, however, cheerlead from here!!! Can't wait to see the end result...

Here's to not being able to use the light for almost two months!

Yall act like it's the only light you have...

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by guiri View Post
    Yall act like it's the only light you have...
    No! But in my case its the last one that arrived... and you know how it is
    Artur

Yep

If I may hijack- Art- I totally understand your new-light predicament. I looked at wantsusa's excellent, recently stickied thread over in the marketplace, and didn't see a 1x123 Quark run. If Darvis doesen't mind the company, I'll give up a SF primary to science and the advancement of Ye Olde Low Level... Awaiting your blessing, Darvis. Say the word, and I'll fire one (123) up.

I'm pretty sure he won't mind as he's totally into the benefit of other CPF'ers so I say go fer it and let him beat me if he has to

Haven't had a spankin' in a looooong time...

That would be cool Scout24 hehe, I still have to go through some of selfbuilts tests and put info for the highs/mediums.

I think these last couple months people have really gotten into the lows, especially with the tests started with AAA run times, which we then prodded Darvis to start the AA run time tests!

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far, and I hope lots more do so as well, would be great to have a full testimonial/testing page for ALL the 4Sevens products!

Keep it up guys, this is FUN!

to Darvis --

One point of clarification:

These Energizer Lithium batteries are the L91 (Ultimate) ones ? ? ?

_

Flashaholic*

I'm hoping they are the "Advanced" since I bought a ton of them at the Lowes clearance price.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    If I may hijack- Art- I totally understand your new-light predicament. I looked at wantsusa's excellent, recently stickied thread over in the marketplace, and didn't see a 1x123 Quark run. If Darvis doesen't mind the company, I'll give up a SF primary to science and the advancement of Ye Olde Low Level... Awaiting your blessing, Darvis. Say the word, and I'll fire one (123) up.
    Heck yeah!!! Fire that puppy up!!! The details are now up in the OP and the show is on Scout, welcome! This won't be as lonely now.
    Last edited by Darvis; 09-09-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    to Darvis --

One point of clarification:

These Energizer Lithium batteries are the L91 (Ultimate) ones ? ? ?

_
    Confirmed: L91 Ultimates!!! Sorry to all of you Advanced Lithium fans...

I updated the OP
    Last edited by Darvis; 09-09-2010 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wyager View Post
    Here's to not being able to use the light for almost two months!
    Well, just those two... I have three other Quarks to play with if needed, plus a giant box of Quark lego parts.

I can build the Quark Taj Mahal.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvis View Post
    Well, just those two... I have three other Quarks to play with if needed, plus a giant box of Quark lego parts.

I can build the Quark Taj Mahal.
    I bet if you put a wide spring (to contact the body tube) into a 2xAA tube, you could make a double-ended quark!

[head] [body with 14500] |/\/\/\/| [body with 14500][head]

Sure it'd be always-on, but if you set loose to Moonlight and tight to Strobe, you'd have a nice party.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Quark Taj Mahal... Alright, Darvis- 8:15 last night, on moonmode, 2019 dated Surefire primary since I was out of 4sevens ones... sitting next to the "D" cell matterhorn in my drawer that I threatened to run after the cool post from Flying Turtle... I started the Quark in anticipation of your response, and the "D" last week after posting just because...

Ok, so we have a quark running on a D battery in lowest mode?

Ok, we'll talk again next year then...

Sorry, Matterhorn HP on a "Duracell D"... Inspired by Flying Turtle's photo and idea in the last runtime test Darvis did...

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    ...Alright, Darvis- 8:15 last night, on moonmode, 2019 dated Surefire primary since I was out of 4sevens ones... sitting next to the "D" cell matterhorn in my drawer that I threatened to run after the cool post from Flying Turtle... I started the Quark in anticipation of your response, and the "D" last week after posting just because...
    Sweet! Alrighty kids, smoke 'em if ya' got 'em...

And so the first 24 hours passes with no changes to report. ZZZzzzzzzzzzz......

Flashaholic*

Icon15 Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

Can you test some twins (same lights same batteries) one constant on and turn the other one on and off every time you check on it?

I'm curious if there is a point where you turn it off and it won't come on again, and if that point exceeds say the life span of just leaving it on constantly or if it's better to leave it on for, say, 12 or 8 hrs a day and off the rest.

See what I'm getting at? Sorry if I'm not so able at describing my point so well. Had a little wine to reduce the stress of being in front of the grand jury today (don't ask).

Quote Originally Posted by Xak View Post
    Can you test some twins (same lights same batteries) one constant on and turn the other one on and off every time you check on it?

I'm curious if there is a point where you turn it off and it won't come on again, and if that point exceeds say the life span of just leaving it on constantly or if it's better to leave it on for, say, 12 or 8 hrs a day and off the rest.

See what I'm getting at? Sorry if I'm not so able at describing my point so well. Had a little wine to reduce the stress of being in front of the grand jury today (don't ask).
    We've tested this, it doesn't seem to matter if you turn it off and back on.

Flashaholic*

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast