BlackShadow
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

Quote Originally Posted by wyager View Post
    Is it just your camera/my monitor, or are all those LEDs turquoise?
    Neither, it's your meds...

I'm with you Scout: we are at 240 (248 actually) hours (10 days continuous) with no changes to report from Quark central... Yeeeehhhhhawwwww!
    Last edited by Darvis; 09-19-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Flashaholic

What is the 123 version you are using? R2 or R5?
    Artur

Ok, maybe there's something wrong with me but this IS exciting

This from the same guy that thinks people doing Farmville on facebook are retarded

1x123- R5.

Thanks for running these tests guys! Anxiously looking forward to the results.

Here in a few minutes (5:15pm) I'll be at 333hrs. for the 1x123, and 480hrs. (20 days) for the 1D Matty. Tomorrow night at 8:15, the 1x123 Quark R5 passes the rated 15 days if it is still going, which I have no reason to doubt.

My quark aa xpe on a saft 14500 primary is at 394 hrs still going strong.
    Fenix TA30, Quark 1232 Ti, Quark AA2, Quark 1232 Turbo, MiNi AA NW, MiNi CR2, ITP A3 EOS, MG PLI, MG L-Mini II, Romisen RC-N3 II, Romisen RC-A4 II, Akoray K-106 (x2), Akoray K-109.

Sweet! I'm looking at buying something from 4 Sevens for my buddy who works for the FBI.

Flashaholic*

Man, I'm so glad I own a couple quarks and one is always my EDC.

Anyone test their keychain mini models on low? Wondering how long I'd have light if trapped with only my mini CR2 on my keychain.
    Last edited by Xak; 09-22-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Xak View Post
    Anyone test their keychain mini models on low? Wondering how long I'd have light if trapped with only my mini CR2 on my keychain.
    Scout 24 did:

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    ... MiNi died about 9am this morning, 2.15v on my meter. This was the second running for the MiNi, first was 25hrs. and this time was 24.5hrs. ...
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Thanks for the quotes cavedave! Xac- much higher "low" on the MiNi's than the moonlight on the regular quarks.

In what absolutely has to be the surprise of the year for me, the single AA Quark is out of the race at ~336 hours (14 days) continuous!!!

I have yet to grab the ending volatge on this puppy, but will at some point tonight.

I have to say that I am perplexed, I thought the Lithium would smoke the Alkaline, and yet it quit 5 days sooner!!!!
    Last edited by Darvis; 09-23-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Sucked dry people, ending voltage was .40 on that puppy. The mighty Quark power sipper drank that one right down to nil....

So, not as much mah in Lithiums I gather? Seems to me that lithiums are the way to go for high drain applications, but if you want long runtimes on low, the good old Alkaline is your man. Buy in bulk!!!!

Edit: and now I really don't get it, looked up the LR91 specs and it's rated to be 2900mah with the bulk pack Duracells ranging 2300-2850mah. Same light, same test and the alkaline wins???!!!

Popped in another battery and the light fired right up too...
    Last edited by Darvis; 09-23-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Dang who'd a thunk this? Thanks again for doing this test, info added to sticky on 4Sevens!

Quote Originally Posted by Darvis View Post
    In what absolutely has to be the surprise of the year for me, the single AA Quark is out of the race at ~336 hours (14 days) continuous!!!

I have yet to grab the ending volatge on this puppy, but will at some point tonight.

I have to say that I am perplexed, I thought the Lithium would smoke the Alkaline, and yet it quit 5 days sooner!!!!

I had read before about alkalines doing better than lithiums at low LOW currents. I don't remember where I read that or if there was an explanation why.

The question is: At what current does the Lithium take the lead? 5mA, 10mA, 50mA?
    Last edited by mitro; 09-23-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Flashaholic*

Sucked dry people, ending voltage was .40 on that puppy. The mighty Quark power sipper drank that one right down to nil....

So, not as much mah in Lithiums I gather? Seems to me that lithiums are the way to go for high drain applications, but if you want long runtimes on low, the good old Alkaline is your man. Buy in bulk!!!!

Edit: and now I really don't get it, looked up the LR91 specs and it's rated to be 2900mah with the bulk pack Duracells ranging 2300-2850mah. Same light, same test and the alkaline wins???!!!

Popped in another battery and the light fired right up too...

I bet the lithiums would smoke the alkalines in low or medium mode, though, right?

The lithium did awesome with the Revo on low so maybe it was a fluke or maybe just a little more current for them to do their best.

Capacity ratings are usually calculated on a 0.1c draw. You were discharging them at a rate MUCH lower than that (0.001c? My brain isn't working). At that discharge rate, I think alkalines hit nearly 5000mah (which ties in with your alky run test). Lithiums don't really gain anything from low amp draws.
    Fenix TA30, Quark 1232 Ti, Quark AA2, Quark 1232 Turbo, MiNi AA NW, MiNi CR2, ITP A3 EOS, MG PLI, MG L-Mini II, Romisen RC-N3 II, Romisen RC-A4 II, Akoray K-106 (x2), Akoray K-109.

Quote Originally Posted by amigafan2003 View Post
    Capacity ratings are usually calculated on a 0.1c draw. You were discharging them at a rate MUCH lower than that (0.001c? My brain isn't working). At that discharge rate, I think alkalines hit nearly 5000mah (which ties in with your alky run test). Lithiums don't really gain anything from low amp draws.
    This makes sense and would definitey tie in to what our tests have shown.

So, a couple of very interesting revalations for me, then:

Low Low Low fans looking for a good stash of cheap emergency energy: Alkalines... the low current draw coupled with the cheap cost are what will give you the most performance for emergencies and "out in the woods" usage. Just don't store them in the light or use them for high draw apps where they might leak

For light weight and no worries about leaks ruining your expensive lights: go Lithium primaries, especially if you intend to use the medium and high modes more often or simply store the lights for years and expect them to fire up when you need them

Best balance: Still NiMH in my eyes. Again (and I've said this before) we're testing the "extreme" limits of these lights on low, but in reality, all of these batteries provide amazing practical amounts of runtime. I think Eneloops will remain my battery of choice, especially since I've converted most of my chargers over to being solar driven. I'll keep some lithiums around, though, just in case.

I mean, "Oh gosh... the Lithium **only** ran for 14 days straight? What a piece of junk battery..."

Oh, and the 2xAA is till going.
    Last edited by Darvis; 09-24-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xak View Post
    I bet the lithiums would smoke the alkalines in low or medium mode, though, right?
    Yes, just check out Selfbuilt's reviews on the Quarks... if you're venturing up into the medium and high ranges, I would go NiMh first, then Lithium primary.
    Last edited by Darvis; 09-24-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Unenlightened

Really interesting test results. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Flashaholic*

The lithium and Nimh runtimes are not really that surprising. Without a graph of the brightness over time you are not seeing the full picture. Each chemistry delivers energy in different way. Lithium maintain a higher voltage so using them will make the lights more regulated. Using the alkalines will cause the light to be dimmer but last longer because the output drops off. As the output drops the amount of power consumed is reduced extending the runtime.

As a poor analogy think of a two buckets with the same amount of water but different size holes drilled into the bottom.

The Alkaline will act like the bucket with the small hole dribbling out water at a slow rate.

The Lithium will act like a bucket with the big hole, draining its water (energy) at a faster rate.

here is an example of an Arc on Li and Alk (thanks to Quickbeam) The Lithium ran flatter but quickly died at about 7 hrs. The alkaline dropped almost to nothing sooner but then entered "moon mode" that runs longer.
    Last edited by cave dave; 09-24-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Cave Dave,

Thanks! That really helps (I learn so much on this forum..)

Interesting, and now it really all makes sense. I would have thought the application dictated the drain rate so to speak, in otherwords, the light drawing power vs the battery delivering power through a pre-defined "pipe" so to speak.

I sure do wish I had the measuring tools... I may have to invest after this as these tests are addictive!

Interesting, and now it really all makes sense. I would have thought the application dictated the drain rate so to speak, in otherwords, the light drawing power vs the battery delivering power through a pre-defined "pipe" so to speak.
    That depends. The graph Cave Dave linked was from different light that is not current regulated, so in that case the brightness follows the battery voltage. Regular/tactical Quarks are current regulated and should have flat brightness "curve" until the battery is empty.

Flashaholic

I got lost on the topic... so what was your runtime on the 123 R5 ?
    Artur

I believe the test is still running (or should still be) as we are at about 17-1/2 days now, and I would expect that the run time should be longer then the others with the 123. Maybe Scout24 will give us an update today or tomorrow, as I think it may be time to start looking at it more often now =)

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    I got lost on the topic... so what was your runtime on the 123 R5 ?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by wantsusa View Post
    I believe the test is still running (or should still be) as we are at about 17-1/2 days now, and I would expect that the run time should be longer then the others with the 123. Maybe Scout24 will give us an update today or tomorrow, as I think it may be time to start looking at it more often now =)

Ohh ok , thanks for the help

I have been using mine since it arrived , and its amazing because with a AW123 charged to 4,2v I used it for nearly 2 weeks in moonlight , low and sometimes in high and the cell is still reading more then 4v.
    I estimate I have used it in high for 5 mins , in moonlight for 15 to 20h and in low and med for 10mins.

It will probably became my backup light , taking the place of my NDI
    Artur

Here in 45 minutes, the 1x123 Quark R5 passes 18 days, or 432 hours of constant on. The Matty head on 1D alkaline will pass 579hrs. at that same time, 24 days 3 hrs. These Quarks have certainly earned a place in my emergency gear, with a stash of cells. Moonlight is bright enough to do quite a bit by. This 1x123 has not rested comfortably, either. Laundry, kitchen runs, etc. at night. I did have to tape over the switch to remind myself not to shut it off, though.

The 2xAA Quark is at 415 hours (17+ days) continuous with no changes to report.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast