HDS Systems
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 181 to 204 of 204

Thread: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

  1. #181

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    I guess that quark isn't stopping for nothing.
    Life is good

  2. #182

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Yeah, these things take runtime to the extreme... I was impressed when we were getting 3 and 4 hundred hour runs, but the SAFT and the 2xAA format are just unreal.

    I mean, I camp a lot and lights have always been a top priority for me. (I am not a fan of fumbling around in the dark AT ALL!!!) Remembering back to the days of the old incan 2xAA lights, when I'd be at a bluegrass festival for a week, or wherever, and I'd need 10 pounds of alkalines to get through the week with 5 minutes of good light at first, then that nasty orange glow the rest of the time. Now, I can pack 2 light (2 is one and 1 is none) and not even have to worry about spare batteries.

    I have not done runs on the level above moonlight yet (low) but I'll bet even that would go for most of a week and be bright as heck at night.

    I'm seriously loving the compact and stealthy 1x123 model these days, I think I'm ALWAYS going to have it with me going forward. I'm making my EDC holy trinity a quadruple: HDS Clicky> L1 > Quark 1x123 > ReVo. My new travel light combo will absolutely be one, or a pair of ReVos and the Quark based on their excellent performance and weight (they a very lightweight for what they give back in runtime).

    I also love the fact that I can lego the Quark as well, I've bought recessed tailcaps for my tactical heads and now have the UI I like and the abilty to ceiling bounce, or whatever. I can also bring that AA body along just in case. Quarks in the car, Quarks in the BOB, Quarks all over the dang place.
    Last edited by Darvis; 10-27-2010 at 08:39 AM.

  3. #183

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    It's OUT!!!

    I checked at 2 pm which was exactly 48 days continuous and then at 4 pm and the Quark had gone dark...

    That's it folks, calling it at 1152 hours (48 Days Continuous)

    It's down to the SAFT primary now.

  4. #184

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Alright! A bit behind 4Sevens' test, but very impressive still!

  5. #185
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Galicia, Spain
    Posts
    774

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    What kind of batteries 4sevens used to test them?

  6. #186

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Quote Originally Posted by vali View Post
    What kind of batteries 4sevens used to test them?
    All tests used the same batteries that came with the light.

  7. #187
    Flashaholic* scout24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    2,931

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    48 days is just unreal... Thanks, Darvis.

  8. #188

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens View Post
    All tests used the same batteries that came with the light.
    Right, and in fairness, I was running Lithium primaries which we've proven will follow a much more, for lack of a better term: aggressive discharge curve than alkalines at these lower levels. You can see those results with the single AA test where we ran both battery types. The alkalines won by a wide margin.

    The lights ship with alkalines and NOT the lithiums I used for this test. I expect that if I were to run this with alkalines, we would beat even these runtimes by several days, if not, a week or two.

    In real world use, 5 days means nothing at these runtime numbers. Given the weight savings, storage capabilities, and overall tendency NOT to leak and ruin your light, Lithiums are the THE way to go for your BOB or extended trips without your NiMh of choice.

    For me, the killer combo is the single AA with a spare 1x123 body, tactical UI and flat tail cap... run on anything from a AAA on up, super compact, lightweight... killer runtime. Sweet.
    Last edited by Darvis; 10-27-2010 at 06:47 PM.

  9. #189
    *Flashaholic* Burgess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,561

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Darvis View Post

    I have not done runs on the level above moonlight yet (low)
    but I'll bet even that would go for most of a week and be bright as heck at night.


    Hi Darvis --


    Thank you for your dedication and hard work, performing that Moon-mode test.





    Now . . . .

    Since you no longer have anything to keep yer' self occupied . . . .


    How 'bout doing the above-mentioned "Low-mode" test ?




    On Lithiums (L91), if you would be so kind.


    Just a suggestion, of course.



    _

  10. #190
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    7,068

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    48 days on 2xAA. Wow. Thanks for the time you put your light out of comission to do this test for us!!

    So a 8 pack of L91's will last 192 days. I would say that will make it through hurricane season!!

    BTW: LMAO at the term EDC Holy Trinity.

    I'm with ya on that, HDS Clicky> L1 > Quark 1x123 > ReVo, great Combo. But I gotta have my M61WLL in there...
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

  11. #191
    Flashaholic* scout24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    2,931

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Just checking in to see how Amigafan's SAFT's are doing...

  12. #192

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    The SAFT has an almost unbelievably flat discharge curve up to nearly 98-99% of ultimate capacity at single digit ma drain; i.e., it is an almost perfectly fixed voltage source at these low drains. It will hold 3.5 v for over 700 hr at 3.6 ma or over 2100 hr at 1 ma. Then it drops almost vertically. So it would be very easy to calculate the service life if we could get a reading for the Quark current drain at a 3.5-3.6 v input.

    Also, with such a supremely flat curve, it's made to order for a super simple circuit: nothing but a LED plus a fixed voltage dropping resistor. At 0.5-1 ma with a Radio Shack 276-0017, you need to drop to 2.5 v.

  13. #193

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Quote Originally Posted by fnj View Post
    The SAFT has an almost unbelievably flat discharge curve up to nearly 98-99% of ultimate capacity at single digit ma drain; i.e., it is an almost perfectly fixed voltage source at these low drains. It will hold 3.5 v for over 700 hr at 3.6 ma or over 2100 hr at 1 ma. Then it drops almost vertically. So it would be very easy to calculate the service life if we could get a reading for the Quark current drain at a 3.5-3.6 v input.

    Also, with such a supremely flat curve, it's made to order for a super simple circuit: nothing but a LED plus a fixed voltage dropping resistor. At 0.5-1 ma with a Radio Shack 276-0017, you need to drop to 2.5 v.
    Wow, so I wonder how it would do in a Peak El Capitan with a subzero head...? Wait!!!! I have a subzero eiger and the VC AA adapter. Hmmmmm... May have to order some SAFTs and run a new test. Perhaps the HDS 140E at it's lowest vs The Quark 2xAA on alkalines vs The Eiger subzero SAFT?

  14. #194
    Flashaholic* scout24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    2,931

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    You're a patient person, Darvis...

  15. #195

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Darvis View Post
    Wow, so I wonder how it would do in a Peak El Capitan with a subzero head...? Wait!!!! I have a subzero eiger and the VC AA adapter. Hmmmmm... May have to order some SAFTs and run a new test. Perhaps the HDS 140E at it's lowest vs The Quark 2xAA on alkalines vs The Eiger subzero SAFT?
    What is the expected current draw at the battery? Keep in mind the SAFT 14500 is limited to low current: max recommented continuous current is only 30 ma. It shines at currents even lower than that.

  16. #196
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    824

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    I'd love to get some runtime tests on the Quark line on Low, Medium, and High using Lithium/NiMh cells. I'd run it myself, but the only Quark I have now is my 123, and I use that beauty every day, so I can't really do a runtime test with it.

    I'd buy more Quarks, but I don't have much money, and I'm trying to save up for a Moddoo Triple.

    I say we have each person who wants the runtimes on Lithiums/Nimhs donate 50 cents to the person that will run the test, so they are compensated for their time, and cost of the battery/batteries.

    ~Brian

  17. #197
    Flashaholic TITANER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    China
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Quote Originally Posted by bstrickler View Post
    I'd love to get some runtime tests on the Quark line on Low, Medium, and High using Lithium/NiMh cells. I'd run it myself, but the only Quark I have now is my 123, and I use that beauty every day, so I can't really do a runtime test with it.

    I'd buy more Quarks, but I don't have much money, and I'm trying to save up for a Moddoo Triple.

    I say we have each person who wants the runtimes on Lithiums/Nimhs donate 50 cents to the person that will run the test, so they are compensated for their time, and cost of the battery/batteries.

    ~Brian
    Wow,sounds good

  18. #198

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Look here : 4Sevens Flashlight Run Time Testimonials

    As more test are done, they get updated as I find them/get told of them from CPF members.

    Quote Originally Posted by bstrickler View Post
    I'd love to get some runtime tests on the Quark line on Low, Medium, and High using Lithium/NiMh cells. I'd run it myself, but the only Quark I have now is my 123, and I use that beauty every day, so I can't really do a runtime test with it.

    I'd buy more Quarks, but I don't have much money, and I'm trying to save up for a Moddoo Triple.

    I say we have each person who wants the runtimes on Lithiums/Nimhs donate 50 cents to the person that will run the test, so they are compensated for their time, and cost of the battery/batteries.

    ~Brian

  19. #199

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Quark AA XPE on SAFT 14500 still going strong @ 1297 hrs / 54 days.
    Fenix TA30, Quark 1232 Ti, Quark AA2, Quark 1232 Turbo, MiNi AA NW, MiNi CR2, ITP A3 EOS, MG PLI, MG L-Mini II, Romisen RC-N3 II, Romisen RC-A4 II, Akoray K-106 (x2), Akoray K-109.

  20. #200

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Quote Originally Posted by wantsusa View Post
    Look here : 4Sevens Flashlight Run Time Testimonials

    As more test are done, they get updated as I find them/get told of them from CPF members.
    Just wanted to say again what a GREAT job you've done with compiling this info, thanks!!!!

  21. #201

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Ok, Tuesday... since I have three or four quarks to play with; I'm going to kick off a low (as in not moonlight) runtime test. I'll pit my last lithium primary against the 2xAA with alkalines and a 1x123 and see what they bring. Will keep this thread going while the SAFT continues on annnddd that should round out our quark results.
    Last edited by Darvis; 10-31-2010 at 06:43 PM.

  22. #202
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    554

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Fantastic. I'm interested in a QAA with 14500, lithium AA, and alkaline AA on low. I'm sure your lights, batteries and time are limited, though.

  23. #203
    Flashaholic* AnAppleSnail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Hill, VA
    Posts
    3,914

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Darvis View Post

    For me, the killer combo is the single AA with a spare 1x123 body, tactical UI and flat tail cap... run on anything from a AAA on up, super compact, lightweight... killer runtime. Sweet.
    I guess what we REALLY need is a 17500 tube for the Quark. Or heck, use the 18650 one and a series of spacers and put any common cell into the light.

    AA, AAA, CR123, RCR123, 18650, CR2...

    ...I bet a silver oxide hearing aid battery would fire up Moonlight mode for a few hours.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

  24. #204
    Flashaholic* yifu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    713

    Default Re: 4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

    Really impressed with the runtimes. Now i just need to be stuck in a cave/mine for a couple of weeks to make use of this (not really)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •