Is my battery broke ???

jtice

Flashaholic
I have been playing around with the battery pictured below.
It reads about 6.8 Volts.
But, when connected to a 6V spot light bulb. The bulb wont light. (yes the bulb is good)

Can a battery to reading the correct voltage, but still be broke?

jtice

Flashaholic
snakebite....

sla? whats that?
sulphated?

I know led technical talk, but not batt tech talk yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
ahhhh yes
Thanks.

Yes is it a SLA batt.

I guess it is bad. It just seemd odd that it can read good voltage, and be bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

batterystation

Enlightened
That is pretty common for deal SLA or gel cells. They read good voltage but due to lack of good plate surface area cannot produce any usable current.

UK Owl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
batterystation said:
That is pretty common for deal SLA or gel cells. They read good voltage but due to lack of good plate surface area cannot produce any usable current.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why when you want to determine how good a lead acid battery is you 'drop test' it.

This involves applying a heavy load and measuring for volts drop.

On large batteries, this heavy load can be the equivalent of a 1/4 ohm (or less) resistor, and the currents involved will be substantial.

(Thus should be carried out wearing a full face shield, arm length rubber gauntlets, wellington boots and a rubber apron, as if the battery goes BANG! you get showered with hot sulphuric acid) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think measuring the voltage of any battery without a load on the battery will tell you much. Why don't you measure the voltage when it's connected to the spot light? That will tell the real story.

star882

Enlightened
"I have been playing around with the battery pictured below.
It reads about 6.8 Volts.
But, when connected to a 6V spot light bulb. The bulb wont light. (yes the bulb is good)

Can a battery to reading the correct voltage, but still be broke?"
This happens alot with old batteries.