Where to buy cell phones?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Blackberry Storm finally gave up. It lies here with a black screen of death. Only a flickering red light indicates the battery has any juice left.

Verizon isn't giving me an upgrade until March and it's not even a full one at that (man I'm starting to hate them). I'll be damned if I pay retail price.

I asked the woman in the store, hey if I just outright buy a phone, what's the cheapest, just so I can have a working phone.. 160 dollars. WHAT!?!

So I'm guessing Ebay, but I had a bad experience in the past where the idiot who sold it didn't clear the ESN and I had a phone that Verizon thought was stolen (..:mad:).

I was curious if there were websites that sold them cheap. I don't know how that works or if it's even legal. I'm hoping to get a Droid Incredible by HTC.

You know I remember a few years ago you could break your phone and carry it into the Verizon store and they would just walk to the back and bring you a new one. I always gave a standing ovation for that. Then they said screw you, pay 50 bucks, we'll mail one. Well, it's better than nothing. NOW, if your phone is over a year old you can't even do that! Which is why I'm hurting at the moment.

Sigh, I guess insurance would be helpful..

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed one of you moved this (well obviously), I hadn't even thought I was putting it in the Cafe :oops:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

SquareTrade might be better insurance for you than a Verizon policy .

Look into it

And a Droid Incredible by HTC will be expensive anywhere - I would think.
Are they not less than a year old ?

I use an older style flip phone - I won't pay for all the bells and whistles I don't need.

Good to always have a back-up phone of some type. Easy and quick to activate with *228 and option 1

~
I hope you used the Verizon Backup Assistant App to save all your contacts .
~

Last edited:

ama230

Enlightened
try and check gizmodo.com as they have the latest and greatest with the great deals, contract or pay as you go.

Also hate to say this but straighttalk seems to new fad and verrizon has the best service period. Then again you have to sign your life away. They have great deals on their phones and their unlimited smartphone plans are great as you can use basically any of the htc as a mobile modem.

basically ging away their new blackberry line as well.

Hope this helps as i just gave up my htc for a basic flip for the time being due to funds. I live out in the boonies and always have a full signal with them.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Verizon for their service. Since I had the Blackberry, and after Verizon added more towers in the backwoods, I have yet to find myself without service. Except one spot but I was in the biggest hole I've come across naturally (and I'm not talking about my last lol I'm not going there.. someone will get it).

I did end up getting a Droid Incredible for 200 that should be here tomorrow via Fedex.

I also noticed I can use it as a modem and plan to abuse that.

Dave_5280

Newly Enlightened
For short terms use of 60 days, I like the Net 10 deal where they include the phone plus 300 minutes for 60 days for about $35. I usually get 2 of them when we go to the beach on vacation to keep the good phones safe at home. I also like to set up one of them with a local area code number where we are going in case I need it to give to a local caller to call me.

For longer term use, but not unlimited minutes, and with an interest in keeping the cost down, I like the T-Mobile prepaid phones. The best part about them is you can spend $100 a year to get 1,000 minutes and your unused minutes roll over each year.

GTP2K1

Newly Enlightened
The Buy/Sell section of the Howard Forums possibly (it is a forum, so be smart)? Beyond that eBay.

You might try calling Verizon a time or two and explaining the situation, might get lucky with a nice rep. If they don't sound like they want to help or the conversation isn't going like you want it to feel free to hang up and call back get a different one. Worth a shot right?