Votes: 13 9.3%
  • Terrible new name

Votes: 127 90.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the history of all flashlight manufacturing, this name change from sunwayled to "sunwayman",is..ugh, my stomach churns everytime I hear it. I know, the name won't have any effect on the products performance but I just feel the name change needs to be classified under "boneheaded".

I trying my best to try and word this so it doesn't sound offensive to the chinese but, you just took a product that may have had some potential and slapped a name on it that just screams "MADE IN CHINA". Sunwayman, if your reading this, "Please, reconsider before the decision is final".

red02

Enlightened
Its really a lateral move. Can't vote for either, they both stink.

Colorblinded

Enlightened
I think it's a negative change and expressed as much in another thread. I think the reaction has been negative in their announcements thread on the CPFMP too.

It doesn't change the fact that I love the light I won but it's not a good change in my opinion.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Both names truly suck, but the new one is an order of magnitude worse than the old one.

They should just hire a Western consultant to name their company, their lights and to do their advertising and brochures. Their target market after all is Western, so why not? Just get someone with a good grasp of cheese. Cheesy names work well as long as they don't overhype the product. (Surefire Hellfighter, Vampire, Devastator.. Polarion Night Reaper.. Olight SR90 Intimidator.. well yeah you get the point:whistle:)

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just a name, but I have to agree. Chinese companies catering to westerners doesn't always really think it through. In this case, where they have a high quality product, it would work if they just stuck with a chinese name, like Huawei etc. Everything is better than some of the generic "tacticool" or other western pleasing names that sometimes get chosen. If they want to get away from the "cheap chinese junk"-stigma(no offense to the chinese, they can make great quality products, and they do, but people in general in the west associate made in china with junk, even if they shouldn't) they are doing a great job of doing the opposite.

I would in fact prefer if they just used a chinese name. Shows that they are serious and non-nonsense.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should call there Co. Sunfire....... Most of the fire brand Co's seem to be now moving away from ****fire to more rediculous names.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe they changed because they HAVE to, not because they WANTED to...

There is another "Sunwayled" around... and I believe they have this name since always. Just google it.

Even if that's the case it was still a terrible choice to use sunwayman.

utlgoa

Enlightened
Anyway you look at it, we're talking about the company and their name is getting around.

By the way, does anyone know a site that is selling the M60R?

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find both names cheap. One of the reason I never bother to look into Sunwaywhatever is because the name just screams "wannabe!!".

Of all the Chinese manufacturers, I find Nitecore to be the most soothing to the ear. Fenix don't really cut it too. Sounds like the mystical creature phoenix. Chinese generally are quite superstitious and I couldn't help but think that the brand Fenix (or Phoenix) was chosen for luck. Of course Sunwayman would be the most horrible of the lot.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old name was ok. The new one screams cheap crap:knight:. What a horrible name. What are they thinking:thinking:.

TwinBlade

Enlightened
I cannot disagree with anyone saying it is a poor choice for a company name.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to take some of the money from R&D and put it into finding a good marketing group...

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like all the product brochures I've seen from them. Excellent photography, print quality, and feel. The only slight gripe is that some lights report a low level of 3 lumens in one place and 4 in another. As for the name...well, I dunno. I've learned not to judge companies by name, but I know names are supposed to matter.

TwinBlade

Enlightened
Yeah, all the pics and online advertising has seen up to par. I meant specifically the brand name needing an overhaul. If you can put that much time and effort into a decent product line, you should be able to come up with something a little easier off the tongue. :D

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, who's the 2 wiseguys who voted for liking the new name, you know darn well you don't:D

Status
Not open for further replies.