Help me find a EDC

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I need a new EDC knife because I misplaced my Kershaw Oso Sweet before I went on vacation.

So I'm looking for a solid knife for under $50.

Right now I'm liking the SOG Trident, TF-3, but there are so many good knives out there. Remember it needs to be under $50.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a Tanto combo edged Kershaw Blur. I love the handle and quick opening. I searched and found a Regular Blur on amazon for under $50.

TJx

Newly Enlightened
Ontario RAT 1 Folder for $26.95 + KaBar Dozier Folding Hunter (3") for $20
Get both :twothumbs

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Well, that OSO Sweet is $22.40 at Amazon.

But I applaud your decision to move up to $50.

I'm a bit past that with my Al Mar SERE 2000 folder. But it has served well under hard use for a number of years. Not light, and I wish the clip was at the hinge end. It's not the newer version with assisted opening, but if a thread snags the stud it can start to open in your pocket.

I think assisted opening is cool, but I'm not convinced it's necessary. A thumb stud or Spyderco style hole is adequate for me.

I am convinced that for EDC you should accept the extra weight and get something with a stout steel frame. I recall during my VFD days, carrying a Spyderco Rescue and learning why I should have popped the big money for the Mariner. My SERE 2000 has a good steel frame, a frame lock and G-10 handles. Seems a good combination.

I agree with the advice to check out eBay and similar sites. You might find a deal. I lucked out a little while ago, went to http://www.ltspecpro.com/ and grabbed a closeout on discontinued version of their heavy duty Recon 1 folder. The half serrated clip point wasn't my first choice, but at two for $60 I couldn't pass up the deal. I don't see any super deals on folders there right now, but keep looking. If they marked down their Lawman a bit more, it might be a good choice. .

CRKT has some decent knives. I'd avoid the Super Sales at Big Five on names like S&W and Jeep; they're just too cheap to last very long. Don't rule out Buck. They have a number of interesting knives, though their under $50 offerings don't much impress me.

Hey, hit a show or two, enjoy the search. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I have a lot of really, really nice knives but I gotta say the Kershaw Skyline is hands down one of my favorites. I can't explain it, except that it's the perfect size, shape, and price.

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
TJx that for the Ontario RAT1 as luck may have it I have the RATII. I'll put that as #1 so far but like I said there are a lot of knives out there.

Oh yea what about the Spyderco Tenacious G-10?

entoptics

Enlightened
Assisted opening on an EDC is fantastic. Using the knife one handed in an awkward position is pretty common for me, and the assist makes it easy.

I'm a huge fan of my Kershaw Scallion. Just the right size for my needs.

The Buck Vantage is also an outstanding choice, and it has a very sturdy and deep pocket clip. Buck customer service is second to none in my experience.

carrot

Flashaholic
The budget Spydercos (Tenacious, Persistence, and upcoming Resilience) are great values. They are also great knives, and compare favorably to many other brands' more expensive knives. They are built quite tough and are excellent performers.

smrtprts

Newly Enlightened
I have a kabar dozier, kershaw scallion and spyderco persistence. All of them are great. The dozier is great if I am going to be putting a bit more wear on it because of how cheap it is, the scallion is good for compact carry and the persistence is just great all around.

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
Well thanks for all the great suggestions guys, but I just kept going back to the SOG Trident TF3 so I grabbed it for $54. I'll keep the other knives in mind, I may need a back up.

GTP2K1

Newly Enlightened
I love the Tenacious because of the little details you get with it that you don't find in other knives in its price range.

But since you bumped the price, (over $30) I'm assuming that's for a reason. Im gonna reccommend the Delica 4 in VG-10. You get the full flat grind in a truly awesome steel choice and still have skeletonized liners for strength. With just a little searching it should be found right at $50 +/- tax and shipping.

Im always looking for what I cant have, but if I could get the Delica in G10 (without doubling the price) or the Tenacious in VG-10, I'd be a happy boy. Honestly cant go wrong with either though (I'm just being picky). Looks like my post is a day late and a dollar short anyway good luck with your new chocie.:thumbsup:

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
No problem I was also looking at the Delica 4, there are so many knives out there.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i had that trident.. it felt solid, opened with authoritive "thunk", all around not a bad choice.

but. i ended up selling it away.

i had the sog flashII and i just felt that it had better feel and balance in my hand than trident. they are similar but the trident was bulkier in shape and size. and somehow felt that it didnt fit my hand as well as i had hoped. -and it had the serrations.. i prefer plain edge as my edc knife.

the flash2 was smaller slimmer and lighter to carry. and i had other knives to do the tasks where i need "more solid feel". (like tenacious, my beater work knife) so the trident ended up sold to friend of mine (to be his hunting backup knife)

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
Here some pic's of my new EDC.

100_1746.jpg

100_1747.jpg