Surefire Beam Diffuser

Size15's

Flashaholic
FM BeamFilters for Millennium Series models are grey matching the natural HA. That's the FM1x for the M3 Millennium type bezel. The FM2x for the Millennium TurboHead. The FM6x for the M2 bezel.

The other BeamFilters are black.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
As always, thanks for clearing that up. Question, the way that the filter sits over the bezel, does it affect the spill any when the filter is flipped up?

Yes it does. I use one on a G3, G2L and a 6P and the hinged part intrudes a little into the spill when the diffuser is open (up) and casts a small rectangular shadow. It's nothing to worry about though and outdoors you probably wouldn't notice it. I hold my lights with the shadow at the top just to act as a visual indicator to show me which way is 'up' so I always know where the hinge is in the dark so I can just slide my fingers forward to deploy the diffuser. You might prefer it the other way up for precisely the opposite reason.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replys guys. I'm really stuck on weather to buy one of these or not. I really like the idea of a smooth wall of light and they look really cool to boot, but never seeing one in person really hurts. I just hate the idea of buying one and not liking it.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replys guys. I'm really stuck on weather to buy one of these or not. I really like the idea of a smooth wall of light and they look really cool to boot, but never seeing one in person really hurts. I just hate the idea of buying one and not liking it.

Personally I find diffusers very useful on smaller lights. Although I have an FM34 currently on my G3, I don't actually use it that much because I never intended to use the G3 for close up work. It is a little more useful on the 6P and G2L but adds a lot of bulk because of the hinge and quick lock mechanism. The push on F04 on my E2e's on the other hand is much more useful because the E2e is physically more pocket friendly and the diffuser doesn't have extra bits on it to add bulk. I keep an F04 permanently on my Novatac 120P and find that the best combo for daily use. In your case I'd advise you to work out whether you actually need a diffuser at all (Surefire or otherwise). A cheap way of experimenting with a 'wall of light' is to put Scotch 810 Magic Tape (or similar frosted tape) over your torch window and live with it for a week or two. You could also try other diffusing materials. [There are threads on this subject and suggestions on home made diffusers elsewhere on CPF.] This might help you decided on how much you might really use a diffuser.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well guys, I just spent some time walking around the house using one of those clear plastic water bottle caps over the bezel of my fenix PD20. I very much like the effect to say the least, so I imagine the effect using a surefire diffuser must be very nice. I think I may give one a shot.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
The F24 beamshaper is smaller, cheaper and AFAIK fits the G3 etc.

The F23 (discoed) is also great and AFAIK diffuses a bit less giving a nice mix of flood and throw. (have one on my C2 with a M30W from Malokoff)

MOS2111

Newly Enlightened
I had a red one that I bought from them for MSRP. I broke it within 6 months. I have a more mailable plastic flip up no name that has stood up to way more abuse. The trade off is having to put some electrical tape on the flip cap to keep it down. The cheaper one also has a smaller "footprint".
I would recommend playing with one before you $.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
A word of caution....
I bought a
SureFire FM34 Beam Diffuser for flashlights with 1.25" diameter bezel for use with my 9P. It works great on the 9P. When I put it on an older model G2 with a nitrolon bezel the FM34's attachment latch broke off the body of the housing. Surefire says it fits G2's but they mean the newer G2's with a metal 1.25" bezel. Apparently the older G2 bezels are a bit larger than 1.25". When I called Surefire customer service they would not replace it even though I had no way to know the nitrolon bezel was a bit larger in diameter. It was an expensive lesson.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
A word of caution....
I bought a
SureFire FM34 Beam Diffuser for flashlights with 1.25" diameter bezel for use with my 9P. It works great on the 9P. When I put it on an older model G2 with a nitrolon bezel the FM34's attachment latch broke off the body of the housing. Surefire says it fits G2's but they mean the newer G2's with a metal 1.25" bezel. Apparently the older G2 bezels are a bit larger than 1.25". When I called Surefire customer service they would not replace it even though I had no way to know the nitrolon bezel was a bit larger in diameter. It was an expensive lesson.

They would not replace it? That's odd. I would think they would take it back with no problems.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call back and talk to another CSR.

I have a FM34 on my G2.
I find it made it a little too front heavy. I'd get a G3 body to compensate.

I have a M61LL in there and it produces nice smooth light.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
A word of caution....
I bought a

That's interesting. When I originally bought my FM34 it was specifically to use on a Night-Ops Gladius. Another member told me that the fit would be very tight and that I had to be careful when locking it. After a years use, I took it off the Gladius and put it on a 6P and found the FM34 quite loose. In fact, once the latch is locked, the diffuser could very easily be pulled off and on without touching the latch. On my G3 and G2L however, the fit and latching is much more positive. I can only conclude that the Nitrolon bezels are indeed slightly wider and that it would have been more difficult to fit my FM34 on had it not already been stretched by use on the Gladius. It's a bit naughty of Surefire for not warning people about this fitment issue.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a very tight fit on my G2 Nitrolon. I was a little worried I would break the latch.
As I did with my first SF M78. (which was replaced no questions asked)

DuncanHynes

Newly Enlightened
I just got my first FM34...the Malkoff MD3 head (same as all I guess) measures 1.25 but the SureFire FM34 was loosey goosey, by at least a 2mm gap total. I had to get creative, i.e. shrinkboot sanded down as a spacer then put on the FM34. Works fine now, I almost always have the M60 optic diffused. Great product though, just was meant for SureFire lights I guess as the Malkoff head is smooth with nothing to grab.