L2s and 18650
aebqk9.jpg

L2s with 18650 exposed
15i14x0.jpg

The parts :
10xbm0g.jpg

L2micro + CR123A extension :
lbewo.jpg

The cr123A extension has to be shortened at the front as the threads are too deep to engage the body , I took of some 20thou from the front to engage the threads ...

Now I have a L2small [ 18650 ] and a L2micro [ CR123A ] L2GO [ lego ]
Maybe its a L2sm [ ????????? ] now ...

I took it for about a 3 K walk , and it rides the pocket much better than a regular L2 , feels better , about the same weight, just feels smaller [ it is smaller ] ...
So , for me , just seems a lot nicer size for a 18650 [ compact ? ] .. Ive had this on the back burner ever since doing the micro , I really wanted to see how small a light the L2 could be and still use a 18650 , I really think with some careful mods a L2M could be a 18650 host ... Take a bit of work !

34pcgno.jpg

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is really cool! One of the biggest things I hate about the Solarforce L2 is that it is easily 1/4" longer than the 6P. With this mod an L2 can be 1/4" shorter than a 6P running an 18650 and even shorter than a 3P running on a single CR123a. I'm going to boil some water in a minute...

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old,

Very nice work. So this is based on a standard L2 but using a very slightly shortened SF 123 extension tube? I really like the size, very pocketable.

Yes , when I built my micro , almost right away I thought , what about a shorter 18650 based on the micro , so about a year latter :oops:
I made it happen .

I think all my standard L2 bodies are two part , so you separate the body , to get the short head , you screw in the tailcap and it becomes a micro ..
You must make the pill shorter as well , as internal real-estate is at a premium . I also put in a Romisen forward clicky to increase the space in the tailcap .

So if you can make a working micro , then its a simple job of adding the CR123A extension so you can run 18650 .
Then you can have a micro [ RCR123A ] or a small [ 18650 ] or as I call the combo now , a L2sm .

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old,

Glad to get the skinny on the L2S [love that, now if you did it in stainless it'd be a L2SS].

Double glad to know about changing to a fw clicky to save more space.

When you say you shortened the drop-in, how much did you shortened it and how'd you do it???

This is definately a pocket-rocket. In fact I think it qualifies as an EDC sized light.... and there aren't many 18650 powered EDCs that come to mind...

Last edited:

Tally-ho

Banned
I put my L2 in a jar of glass half-refilled with water, and put this jar in a saucepan with water. I used a jar (that i will not use for food anymore) to avoid to leave traces of lead in case L2 paint contains some.
I left fire until the water boiled for 20 minutes, then i left everything in place until water was completely cold.

p1010518.jpg

Then I used 2 pieces of cotton cloth to get a better grip, the two parts unscrewed easily.

p1010516.jpg

"Piece of cake"
And as we say in french when it is very easy: "les doigts dans le nez" = fingers in the nose (= it is so easy that you can do it with your fingers in the nose).
On last photo i left glue residues...it is nothing related with my nose. :D

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
246s3gk.jpg

Modified Pill next to a stock one ... Got to make some internal space ...
The Romisen forward clicky mod makes this less critical , but you need internal real-estate ..

Well done Tally-ho ... :thumbsup:

Last edited: