HDS Systems
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: ZebraLight Mods

Default Re: ZebraLight Mods a la DavidT1

Quote Originally Posted by varuscelli View Post
    Not a headlamp mod, but a film canister that's a perfect fit for the head of an SC600 as a diffuser wand.
    Varuscelli, this is genius, and can't wait to find one of these film canisters to try it out on my sc600. Thanks for the info!

Default Re: ZebraLight SC600 Wand

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman5 View Post
    Varuscelli, this is genius, and can't wait to find one of these film canisters to try it out on my sc600. Thanks for the info!
    If by genius we can define it as "lucky guess while fooling around," then I accept the compliment.

There's actually a variation on this that uses reflective foil tape, which makes it a bit less blinding -- and that really helps if you're carrying the flashlight with the makeshift wand attached. My gripe with wands has always been that they send too much light right back into the eyes. I'll post a couple of pics later since I think it's an improvement on the concept for certain situations.

These pictures don't really do justice to the effectiveness of this modification to the film cannister diffuser wand for the SC600, but adding some foil-backed tape to the interior of the cannister keeps the light from shining back into the user's eyes. The glare effect is more of a problem when carrying a flashlight with a wand on it. Personally, I don't like to use diffuser wands for just that reason (too much glare for me in most situations).

To help reduce the glare problem, I cut a 1 and 5/8 inch x 1 and 5/8 inch square of the foil tape and placed it inside the cannister, covering about half of the cannister's circumference. (Note that you need to get the foil deep enough into the cannister that the SC600 head doesn't crimp the foil when the cannister is placed on the flashlight head...see the second photo.) The foil-backed tape is the hardware store version for home heating and air conditioning systems, sold in rolls like regular duct tape. I keep that stuff on hand, so it's what I used. I think regular aluminum foil could be used just as easily, as long as a bit of glue (maybe using a glue stick) was used to keep the foil in place.

The foil tape both reflects more light outward and at the same time blocks the light from shining back in the user's eyes.

I have the brightness set only to medium in these photos, so these images don't provide a good a representation of how much the foil tape helps ease the glare on the eyes, but in person (especially when using a higher setting on the SC600) this is really effective.

There are probably times when you wouldn't want or need this foil mod, but I think it's a handy one to keep in mind.
    Last edited by varuscelli; 11-22-2011 at 04:49 PM.

I like it.....thanks again.

These pictures don't really do justice to the effectiveness of this modification to the film cannister diffuser wand for the SC600, but adding some foil-backed tape to the interior of the cannister keeps the light from shining back into the user's eyes. The glare effect is more of a problem when carrying a flashlight with a wand on it. Personally, I don't like to use diffuser wands for just that reason (too much glare for me in most situations).

To help reduce the glare problem, I cut a 1 and 5/8 x 1 and 5/8 square of the foil tape and placed it inside the cannister. (Note that you need to get the foil deep enough into the cannister that the SC600 head doesn't crimp the foil when the cannister is placed on the flashlight head...see the second photo.) The foil-backed tape is the hardware store version for home heating and air conditioning systems, sold in rolls like regular duct tape. I keep that stuff on hand, so it's what I used. I think regular aluminum foil could be used just as easily, as long as a bit of glue (maybe using a glue stick) was used to keep the foil in place.

The foil tape both reflects more light outward and at the same time blocks the light from shining back in the user's eyes.

I have the brightness set only to medium in these photos, so these images don't provide a good a representation of how much the foil tape helps ease the glare on the eyes, but in person (especially when using a higher setting on the SC600) this is really effective.

There are probably times when you wouldn't want or need this foil mod, but I think it's a handy one to keep in mind.
    I agree. Great Idea. It's the simple things that make all the difference

As a side note, I did one of these foil-backed diffuser wands for the Fenix MC11 that I got for my daughter (which I want to steal back from her, by the way), and because of the foil backed tape and the ability to tilt the head, it makes the best computer tower work light I've ever used. It diffuses and directs just about all the light up and outward toward the computer's interior components (lighting up the entire case interior) and sends almost no glare light back into my eyes. But that's a Fenix mod.

Hey varuscelli, I picked up a few film canisters from my local pharmacy yesterday, and these things really do work very well as a lamp shade. I didn't even notice much of a loss in lumens when using it which was a surprise. Anyway, the SC600 just got better....Thanks again.

Hey varuscelli, I picked up a few film canisters from my local pharmacy yesterday, and these things really do work very well as a lamp shade. I didn't even notice much of a loss in lumens when using it which was a surprise. Anyway, the SC600 just got better....Thanks again.
    Great -- I'm glad you were able to find some of the cannisters (which I didn't really think would be a problem, but you never know who's going to have a few on hand or not). A super-easy mod (if you can even call is a "mod").

If you get the time or inclination, give the foil backing a try (even kitchen aluminum foil should work just fine). If you're holding the SC600 with the diffuser attached and walking around, the foil makes a huge difference in reducing light directed back toward the eyes, and I'm pretty sure it helps to reflect even more light forward and outward. With the SC600 on one of the higher levels, it'll light up a lot of space diffusion style.

But even just using the cannister as a diffuser wand (lamp style) is a pretty cool addition to the tool bag even without the foil (but do one of each if you've got some extras to work with).
    Last edited by varuscelli; 11-30-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Enlightened

IMAG0237-1 by seadragon286, on Flickr. Hi guys,I usually EDC a bandana,so here is my zebra h51 headband mod with ranger bands and bandana.Hope the image upload correctly,thank you all for the great ideas on this awesome forum.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nguyet16; 11-30-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Super Moderator

Default Re: ZebraLight Mods

^ ?? Can't make out what that is, LOL
    Resistance is futile...

I have to guess that's what happens when you do a full resolution image post from your smartphone...or something along those lines.

Enlightened

Yep...good guess....sorry for that guys,I tried to upload from my computer but can only post url of the image.I guess I don't have enough posts for that or something,I'm still new at this
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

It looks like you did it right, but probably need to size the image down to something in the 800x600 pixel range and re-post. You can always go back to your original post, click "Edit Post" at the bottom of the post, and re-link the image (after you've sized it down).

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nguyet16 View Post
    I tried to upload from my computer but can only post url of the image.I guess I don't have enough posts for that or something, I'm still new at this
    You can post photos. There are "how to" sticky threads on this:

How to post Images from Google Picasa Web
    How to post images from Flickr
    Cant post photos
    Resistance is futile...

Enlightened

got it!!! Thanks a bunch!!! you guys are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by nguyet16 View Post
    got it!!! Thanks a bunch!!! you guys are awesome!
    Cool! It views like a charm and a great idea for someone who EDCs a bandana. Yet another useful mod.

That is a really good mod/adaptation.
    EDC: SS ReVo S2 (1yr), E01 (1yr). Camping: Tikka XP (6 yrs). RIP: CMG Infinity (10 yrs), Gerber Infinity (7yrs)
    For a light to be worth while to EDC, it needs to be able to last a decade.

H600 lanyard neckwear (got some extra holders from ZebraLight to play around with...including GITD).

Last edited by varuscelli; 12-07-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Another interesting thing that can be done with ZebraLight headlamp holders is that that can be attached to the back strap of a lot of different caps. One of the complaints about ZebraLight headlamps is that they don't work with cap visors because you can't wear the lamp above the hat visor and angle it downward. This is a variation that might work for some. You just flip your hat around backwards and there's no issue with the visor. I've got the rather large H600 holder on this one (the largest of all of them), but I think this would work great with the smaller lamps/smaller holders. This won't work with all cap straps, but with some it's a remarkably easy attachment.

I like that!^^^

I've been using an old style rubber n wire zebra clip to hold my Qmini123
    hiCRI to my meshcap while doing trail work.

That way I can leave my more powerful light on my helmet.

I've also made a solid metal t shaped holder which would work for a zebra.
    It attaches under the helmet visor using the visors thumb screw.

I'll post pics soon.

A few more pics of the baseball cap strap attachment of a ZL headlamp holder. With a smaller headlamp like this H501w, when I flip it around with the visor up front, I'm not even aware of the weight of the light in back (the cap distributes the weight so well that the weight of the lamp is barely noticeable). For certain work situations for guys who like to wear caps and need to use a headlamp, this could be ideal for occasional flip-around use.

A little closer look at the attachment on this cap (for what it's worth, since there are dozens of different ways these caps work in terms of the adjustment strap in back). This particular cap has a quick-release clip that's perfect for a ZL headlamp holder (takes just a few seconds to attach or remove it). Velcro straps also work pretty well, but it varies depending on the length of the strap overlaps.

Last edited by varuscelli; 12-09-2011 at 07:07 AM.

Super Moderator

Wearing it in that configuration (on the back of your head) might be quite useful when visiting the outhouse at night, so you could see where you were... going (if you get my meaning).
    Resistance is futile...

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    Wearing it in that configuration (on the back of your head) might be quite useful when visiting the outhouse at night, so you could see where you were... going (if you get my meaning).
    In my case, I'd obviously need a bit of a trim to keep from blocking the effective light. I'd hate to make any mistakes in a crucial part of the process...

I must say that these comments are a bit below the belt....
    EDC: SS ReVo S2 (1yr), E01 (1yr). Camping: Tikka XP (6 yrs). RIP: CMG Infinity (10 yrs), Gerber Infinity (7yrs)

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by michman View Post
    I must say that these comments are a bit below the belt....
    That would be quite difficult. In those circumstances, his belt would be down around his ankles. LOL
    Resistance is futile...

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    That would be quite difficult. In those circumstances, his belt would be down around his ankles. LOL
    I needed a good chuckle. Thanks. Point scored.

Hey Varuscelli,
    Once again brilliant. I love the hat idea, and can't wait to get home & try it out with my new H600 or one of my other ZL's.
    Thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post
    I like that!^^^
    Hey Varuscelli,
    Once again brilliant. I love the hat idea, and can't wait to get home & try it out with my new H600 or one of my other ZL's.
    Thanks for the idea.
    Thanks, guys. I was hoping I wasn't the only one who saw some potential in the idea, but with the occasional frustration some have with wearing the ZL headband while wearing a cap and placing the headband over the visor or under the visor, this seemed like one of those easy-to-overlook solutions (for some situations, in any case).

Personally, this is something I want to use while fishing our local ponds. Our trips occasionally start before daybreak or stretch to after dark. During the day, I want the visor over my face, but before sunrise or after sunset I like easy hands-free access to a light, and this looks like a very workable solution for that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by cistallus View Post
    [SIZE=5]
    Re: ZebraLight Mods
    Written by RedForest UK on 11-06-2010 02:31 PM GMT

I just left the stock clip on, cut the circular loops off of the GITD headband and cut some notches in the back. Then it clips/unclips onto the headband attachment great, itll still rotate easily enough for me, doesn't wobble at all due to the notches and rubber on rubber grip, and is easily removable. Plus the GITD backing looks great without those weird loopy things going round the light. [/INDENT]
    The above appeared on the first page of this thread, but no one has seemed to take advantage of it (based on any of the photos on the rest of the thread.) I thought I might repost it it here, and tell how great it is. I cut the loops off of the silicone part of the headband yesterday. I did not cut notches, but simply ran the clip through the headband slots. It holds perfectly. I don't have to remove the clip to use the headband, and the whole thing is much less bulky. Those loops are completely unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    The above appeared on the first page of this thread, but no one has seemed to take advantage of it (based on any of the photos on the rest of the thread.) I thought I might repost it it here, and tell how great it is. I cut the loops off of the silicone part of the headband yesterday. I did not cut notches, but simply ran the clip through the headband slots. It holds perfectly. I don't have to remove the clip to use the headband, and the whole thing is much less bulky. Those loops are completely unnecessary.
    I can pretty easily envision what you're describing, but do you have a way to post an pic or two? I don't think the original poster (cistallus) ever posted any images, either...but the visuals seem to add a lot to the thread (in my mind). Also, what lamp are you using? One with a fully metal clip or the metal+rubber clip like on the H501? I think cistallus was probably using something like the H501 based on his description of the clip (mentioning the "rubber on rubber grip").