Battery Junction
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wave of Makai 6V (2x123)

Default Re: Wave of Makai 6V (2x123)

Ray,
    The 119 has an optic dome much like the XP-G and like the XP-X is funky behind the SunDrop XR-U and not so great behind the SunDrop either. It works well with a reflector and is quite nice in the mule. I will have more to say about it later when I get my act together on the two lights I plan to offer, using it.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Well I've got a Ti Mule with a high CRI LED (not here right now so I cannot reference LED) and a XR-U. While I've got specific uses for these lights I find in general use a warm or neutral LED absolutely fantastic in general use for both color and depth rendition. I didn't realize how little "depth" there was in a cool LED when I was in a closed facility with no power & my superintendent had a magcharger & I had a cool (6500) SST-50 light. I was shocked at how "flat" the equipment that my light lit up, and the depth from the magcharger.

I rarely compare lights / LED head to head as I use my lights - but have done this on occasion.

So when Don offered the Makai did start to wonder about a warm XP-G, which in the past Don had avoided, but had done recently with the XP-G (have to say I am very happy with my Haiku XR-E). I had wondered if Don was going to offer a warm Makai, but as I wasn't in the buying mode I wasn't asking - if I was in the buying mode I would have asked by email - but looks like the cat is out of the bag and Don is starting to tease us with what is coming

Looks like another great light by Don - I'm sure whatever your preference this would be fantastic - but I've been an incan fan and I really like the newer neutral & warm LEDs. I must say though - I will try to never compare my (soon to be DLC) BB Haiku XR-E with a warm tint.
    Last edited by nfetterly; 10-01-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: "or neutral" added

McGizmo/Makai 6V=Magnificent.

Flashaholic

Just received mine today, and the 6v LE definitely gives a nice boost to the output. Very very nice.

Hi guys,
    I have the 2x123 paks back in stock now so the wave is back in full force and offering.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

email incoming...

any tracking number? thanks

Anyone who wants a viable tracking number needs to go with EMS shipping which is more expensive but can possibly save a day in shipment as well as provide for tracking. After experiencing a couple painful losses to destinations in Australia, I now highly recommend EMS for those of you down under.

When I ship via international priority mail, there is a US Custom's number generated but it has been my experience that the USPS doesn't use this as a tracking number and i have no idea if you could get any info from US Customs.

Hi Don, e-mail sent.

Thanks benben. Order received and I'll get it out tomorrow morning.

Hi Don,

(Unique Transaction ID #64XXXXXXXXXX7813F)

An absolute pleasure doing business with you.

benben_stone

Hi Don,

As much as I dislike computer-speak:

OMG!!!

Light arrived safe&sound today - you must have access to the fastest postal service in the world!

Beautiful throw on the light & superb craftsmanship (as always)

Can't wait the 3 hours 'til nightfall to try this baby out further.

It's been a pleasure as always Can't wait for your next creation!

EM sent for Makai 6V w/ 2x123 pak.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Unenlightened

e-Mail sent.
    best regards,

I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Flashaholic

I'll be glad when these come back out again. I want to hook it up with a SF 9P body.

You'll need an adaptor of some kind I suppose. Don's lights are E series compatible.
    Haunted by the ghost of **DONOTDELETE**

Flashaholic

Default Re: Wave of Makai 6V (2x123) (out of stock)

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    You'll need an adaptor of some kind I suppose. Don's lights are E series compatible.
    Thanks I thought they were compatable.

Maybe I can talk Don into making a 3x123 McClicky pak.
    Last edited by bushmattster; 08-18-2012 at 08:18 PM.

That would have been an expensive mistake!

Well, actually, not so much as you'd only need an E series body to make the Makai work, but if you were set on the 9P then yes, the Makai would be a big
    Haunted by the ghost of **DONOTDELETE**

Quote Originally Posted by nbp
    The C-series heads have a very different method of attaching to the body. A C-to-E adaptor would be impossible in any practical sense, because even if you made an adaptor that physically fit, it would lengthen the body considerably and there would be an unavoidable (and useless) bulge behind the E-series head where the C-series head would normally attach.

Quote Originally Posted by bushmattster View Post
    Thanks I thought they were compatable.

Maybe I can talk Don into making a 3x123 McClicky pak.
    If you want the length of a 9P, you can get the 2xAA Clicky Pak and use 14500-size batteries in it.
    If you want the voltage of a 9P, either a 2xAA or 2x123 Clicky Pak will let you use 2 batteries for a total voltage of 8.4v.
    If you want a spiffy titanium head for your 9P, TnC Products has what you're looking for.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    If you want the length of a 9P, you can get the 2xAA Clicky Pak and use 14500-size batteries in it.
    If you want the voltage of a 9P, either a 2xAA or 2x123 Clicky Pak will let you use 2 batteries for a total voltage of 8.4v.
    If you want a spiffy titanium head for your 9P, TnC Products has what you're looking for.
    Thanks for that information.

Hi Don,
    Will we see a XP-G2 in future waves of the Makai?

Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    Hi Don,
    Will we see a XP-G2 in future waves of the Makai?
    I have no plans at present to bring in the XP-G. I can't predict what I will be up to in the future.

I did get in a shipment of the Makai heads so they are now available again. I am low on the 2x123 paks at present but more are on order so depending on demand there may or may not be a period where I can't build the Makai 6V (2x123) complete lights.
    Last edited by McGizmo; 09-21-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Makai Head back in stock

This is good news for all the Makai fans that have been waiting.
    What emitters are you working with the Makai now?

=====================
    Sorry. XML. Just looked at your offer page.
    Last edited by BenChiew; 09-21-2012 at 01:50 PM.

It makes sense. The XM-L benefits from a large reflector, and the 119(V) doesn't really make enough light to be used in a "thrower" anyway.

I wonder how does the XML compare to the XPG in the Makai?

Flashaholic*

It makes sense. The XM-L benefits from a large reflector, and the 119(V) doesn't really make enough light to be used in a "thrower" anyway.
    I would politely disagree. I have a 6V 119V driven at 1A and it had excellent throw in the Makai. I modded the LE for the Haiku, but the beam profile with the Makai 119V combo was superb.

eala

Have you seen your 119V Makai compared to an XM-L Makai? I'm not saying that your light doesn't throw well, but the Makai is pretty much a dedicated thrower, given the size of its head, and the XM-L can output a LOT more light.

Logically, I would think that XML would be putting out a lot more since it is a more efficient emitter. Also a lot less heat.

Have you seen your 119V Makai compared to an XM-L Makai? I'm not saying that your light doesn't throw well, but the Makai is pretty much a dedicated thrower, given the size of its head, and the XM-L can output a LOT more light.
    Last edited by BenChiew; 09-23-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Flashaholic*

Yes I have a 6V 1.4 Amp XML and a 6V 1 Amp 119V LE. Both were kitted out for the Makai and while the XML produced less heat and more light, the 119V really surprized me with it's utility and throw. I found myself using it as much as the XML. The hot spot is smaller but throw was still impressive. I would have taken beamshots, but I changed my 119V LE over to work in the Haiku head so I can't do that right now.

Benchview, the heat from the 119V was greater, but still well managed in the head. Don does not overdrive LEDs at all.

eala