Got rust on my new knife..

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up the SOG Trident Tiger stripe last friday and I've carried it of only two day and there are small rust spots on the blade. Now how should I go about getting the rust off with out taking off the Tiger strip finish?

entoptics

Enlightened
Assuming they are just tiny blemishes on the cutting edge, I wouldn't worry about it much. They will disappear when you sharpen it.

Try wiping the blade down with a paper towel and some oil. You could also strop them off using a cardboard box or notebook back.

If it's more serious than edge blemishes, I'd return it ASAP.

carrot

Flashaholic
Rust is not a serious problem on a blade. It happens on low end knives to very expensive high end knives and is mostly a maintenance issue.

It can be removed easily with metal polish. Flitz is AMAZING, and Brasso works okay on rust (but much better on brass tarnish). But if you don't have that, toothpaste will do a surprisingly good job (better than soap and water, but worse than Flitz). Just put a dab of your choice of paste on a rag or paper towel and rub in a circular motion. Should take just a few rubs to clean off.

entoptics

Enlightened
It on the top of the knife, not on the blade.

I'm not familiar with the coating on the SOG, but if it's rusting on or through it, then I'd send it back, or choose to sacrifice the coating and scrub the offending area. The back of a coated blade shouldn't have rust after a few days of ownership unless you are subjecting it to HCl or salt water.

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
I used some Hoppe's 9 and a toothbrush and it cleaned up very good. I applied a coat of oil so hopefully I'm go to go.

The Sun

Enlightened
for a long term solution use tuf-glide and a microfiber cloth. i use the microfiber towels you can get at Sam's or Costco for $10 for forty of them and they're washable. i've got millions of them, i buy a pack every time i go to Sam's :D.

it won't take the coating off and tuf-gliding the knife once or twice every month will do it. you can use the tuf-glide to lube any moving parts as well. tuf-glide is also a rust inhibitor that won't wash off..................easily :)

Last edited:

Tally-ho

Banned
A simple and inexpensive way to remove rust from steel surfaces by hand is to rub the steel with aluminium foil dipped in water. Aluminium has a higher reduction potential than the iron in steel, which may help transfer oxygen atoms from the iron to the aluminium. The aluminium foil is softer than steel and will not scratch it, as steel wool will, but as the aluminium oxidizes, the aluminium oxide produced becomes a fine metal polishing compound.

Source: http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/Rust/1

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
I was also told by SOG customer service that WD40 works great.

Thanks for the added info!! I'll be getting some tuf-glide.

~UB~

Newly Enlightened
I use a olive or cooking oil on my knives. Old habit from using carbon steels like D2.
Plus, I don't think I would want to peel an apple after spraying it down with WD40 or any other petro based oils.

Latest posts