laserRangefinder

roadie

Enlightened
had been doing beamshoots (which flasholics here isnt), but wish i could have a laser range finder to accurately tell me how 'far' the distance is .....

so any cheap and good recommendations? :party:

DM51

Flashaholic
I'll move this thread into Personal gadgetry / non-flashlight electronics.

This thread was a good one - the Leica is excellent, but it may be more $$ than you were considering.

roadie

Enlightened
thanks for the move ...

but 700 is too much ... was thinking of something real cheap :naughty: and good ......

roadie

Enlightened
with the good ones ranging abt 300 or more ..... "sigh" dun think i can afford any soon :(

back to good old estimate .... :|

DM51

Flashaholic
You can get a very accurate measurement with Google Earth if the features show up well. Have you tried that?

roadie

Enlightened
You can get a very accurate measurement with Google Earth if the features show up well. Have you tried that?

the places i go to at night to beamshoots with ... apparently the "park" isnt updated "yet" on google earth ... the location still shows virgin forest ..... :(

its ok, i shall count by "paces" if i am really bored .... :D

roadie

Enlightened
the only huge standalone tree i can think of, its residue near a reservior .... but .... its far from home and i am lazy :x

entoptics

Enlightened
When I want precise distances when I shoot, I use paracord (or any other medium weight string). Measure a piece at home that is 1/4 to 1/2 the distance you expect to measure in the field. Tie a small weight to the end, then drag it out behind you, stop and real it in, then repeat as many times as you need to get the distance. For shooting, a 50 foot hank is usually pretty good for distances between 25 feet and 100 yds.

Not super convenient, but fairly accurate and easy enough. $3 vs $300 makes the convenience of a laser range finder less important to me.

Patriot

Flashaholic
with the good ones ranging abt 300 or more ..... "sigh" dun think i can afford any soon :(

I'm not sure what exactly justifies being a "good one" but if all you need is for it to find range, exactly how good does it have to be?

Try a Nikon or Bushnell model. They have a good reputation, they're under $200 and work fine for the non-critical roles. I owned the first 400 and 800 models from Bushnell, which were considered state of the art back in the early 90's. I never had a problem with them and what's being produced today on the low end of the dollar scale is far better than what I had available to me.

roadie

Enlightened
alpg88 - i dun own any scopes :( let alone a shooting scope ....

Patriot - yea those are nice, i saw them too but ... i will prefer to have in "metres" instead of yards .... as its the standard of measurements where i come from ... the ones i could find at that webby ranges 300 or more (which has selection into metres) ..... :(

dm51 - yr that "manual" one , is it costly? :D Looks like its from the WW2 era ...... :D

RF-01.jpg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
alpg88 - i dun own any scopes :( let alone a shooting scope ....

oh, ok.
there is another way, when i was in school on our military class (yes my school had that class) teacher (retired navy major) taught us how to make simple rangefinder out of the cardboard, it was piece of cardboard iirc about 3x9in or co, inside was long right triangular slot, with notches marked along the Hypotenuse-Leg, we had to practice to hold it at 50cm away from out eye, the idea is the same as range finding reticle, knowing size of the target you see where within triangle slot it fits, from there you see the range, it was not too accurate, it worked for up to 300m with accuracy give or take 10-20m. iirc it was very easy to make our school notebooks had square graphs 5x5mm,

i just spend good 2 hours googling, but found nothing, (it took a lot less time to make one, lol) who knew i might need that 25 years later, i'd save one, but i'm sure anyone can do it, piece of plexiglass, marker, and a helper or a broom stick with a highly visible circle on one end, just mark where his head (or circle) is relative to a line on plexiglass, or its edge, 20-40-60-.....300 or more yards away. in school we were given diagram, but you will have to make one by measuring things yourself. it wont be extremely accurate but you cant find cheaper rangefinder.

roadie

Enlightened
alpg88 - thanks for the help/advise u given me, apperacited ... :bow:

but dun have plexiglass :( nor a diagram on how to construct :ohgeez:

entoptics - yea , that might be a good trick to count distance ..
used to do that in shorter distance when i wan to do rappeling down a hole ... now hmm where is my paracords / cords .... :candle:

oh ... One more thing .... how to define the beam "hitting" the target, mus it be "round" enough ? hmmm :shrug: