detailed info on B&M Lyt headlight??

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi gang,

I just heard about the B&M Lyt LED headlight. Haven't seen any detailed info, though. I did find this bit of text on the Rose Versand web site:

A computer designed lens system spreads the light of one high-performance LED evenly and extensively, so that the road is lit by a brilliantly white cone of light. The Lumotec Lyt reaches a light output of approx. 25 Lux. Light at a close range significantly improves riding safety. In addition, the Lumotec Lyt features an attractively compact design integrating the front reflector that is mandatory in Germany.
· with standlight (condenser technology, no batteries) · Senso = triple switch on/off switch and automatic switching on via bright/dark sensor
· incl. 1 stainless steel holder (with optional lamp holder, item no. 776547-2, € 2.50, also suitable for race bike brakes)

Does anyone have any tech details, or personal experiences with this light?

thanks,
Steve K.

znomit

Enlightened
hi gang,

I just heard about the B&M Lyt LED headlight. Haven't seen any detailed info, though. I did find this bit of text on the Rose Versand web site:

A computer designed lens system spreads the light of one high-performance LED evenly and extensively, so that the road is lit by a brilliantly white cone of light. The Lumotec Lyt reaches a light output of approx. 25 Lux. Light at a close range significantly improves riding safety. In addition, the Lumotec Lyt features an attractively compact design integrating the front reflector that is mandatory in Germany.
· with standlight (condenser technology, no batteries) · Senso = triple switch on/off switch and automatic switching on via bright/dark sensor
· incl. 1 stainless steel holder (with optional lamp holder, item no. 776547-2, € 2.50, also suitable for race bike brakes)

thanks,
Steve K.

http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html?docu/178e.htm

178.jpg

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the reply. I guess I was hoping for some info beyond B&M's. Personal experiences? Any info on LED used, beam patterns, suitability, etc.?

I assume that this light meets the German standards, but what is the impact of the Lyt producing 25 Lux when the IQ Cyo producing 40 Lux (w/reflector) or 60 Lux (w/o reflector)? Is it a safe guess that both produce more light than my old Lumotec with the 3W bulb?
(p.s. is anyone interested in buying a used Lumotec with a few spare bulbs??)

Anyway.... nice to see more options in the LED headlights!

regards,
Steve K.

panicmechanic

Newly Enlightened
After seeing one on my local dealers vendor display, I can only tell you it has an LED pointing forward into a massive plastic lens. The lens is spherical from the outside, there seems to be a horizontal step inside. This can't be all the magic, of course, as this thing is street-legal like all b&m lights.
The point for bringing this is the need for less pricey stuff. Customers and manufacturers are still hesitating to spend 80 Euros for a headlight. This one is around half that price, hopefully helping to get rid of the bulb lights.
And yes, you wouldn't see a Halogen's light patch when this one is shining in that direction.

Edit: checked again, there's a Rebel inside.

Last edited:

Savvas

Enlightened
hi gang,

thanks,
Steve K.

I've got one Steve. The 'Plus' version bought from either Bike24 or Roseversand - can't recall. Cheap, cheerful, very bright and quite effective. Far brighter and better illumination than a halogen - even the E3 though I do love that light too! The Lyt just doesn't quite have the intense hot spot of an E6 or a Saferide. But great value IMHO.

Sam.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi Sam,
Thanks for the reply. I think you may qualify for an award for bringing an old thread back to life. :)

Now I'm wondering why I asked about this light; I certainly haven't bought one for a long time. Maybe I was wondering about using it as a host for a Franken-light? That would certainly be my next bike light project... put together a circuit that would match the dynamo to the light, and compensate for the change in the dynamo's speed dependence. i.e. it would put out 3 watts at low speeds, 6 watts at higher speeds, and probably be continuously variable with speed. It would require dropping a 6 watt LED into the light housing, though.

oh... it would also have to incorporate a decent standlight too.

I do like my current light that switches between 3 watts and 6 watts, but it's kind of big and clunky, and the optics have a simple round beam. A proper StVZO(?) beam such as what the Lyt has would be an improvement.

Savvas

Enlightened
Steve,

Just been out to examine the Lyt Plus (25 lumen) on my son's bike. Unfortunately it's glued together - but would probably come apart with a bit of careful dremeling and maybe heat treatment. Personally I think it is B&M's nicest light. Not because it has the best beam but because I think it's great value for money. I'm only used the more powerful 25lumen version. For around town and speeds below 25-30km/h it's plenty bright enough.

It's interesting to revisit discussions here from time to time. Help's me to understand that there's no such thing as a free lunch. So much discussion about dynamo lights focuses on using multiples of the most powerful led available. We rarely seem to consider the realities of the equation we're dealing with - the limits of the dynamo + how much light is actually required + the diminishing return on investment from pursuing complexity.

As I said on another thread recently - the best light I have built thus far has been 2 x XR-e, 2 x 8 deg DX lenses, a red DX power led for the rear and a 5f standlight cap and a couple of inches of alu angle.Anything more complex just isn't required for my commuting needs and would either break or maybe get pinched.

Sam.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi Sam,
Yeah, there are definitely trade-offs involved in making a light. I think some of us still remember the days when a dim incandescent dynamo light was the best you could hope for, as well as the early LED days when the improvement over incandescent was mostly in lifetime. The urge to gain more power was strong and doesn't die easily. :)

The commercial LED dynamo lights are really quite good and affordable, and there's less reason to make your own.. with the possible exception of standlight performance. The commercial lights can't come close to a home-built like yours (or mine) in terms of not being attractive to thieves, though.