LM631 "Peak Hold" - Fixed !

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
LM631 \"Peak Hold\" - Fixed !

I've always liked my LM631 light meter, but from day one the "peak hold" function never worked right... Everything else on the meter worked perfectly, but activate "peak hold" and all bets were off.

I called Meterman's tech department and walked their technician through how I produced the problem - SURPRISE! Their meter did the exact SAME thing.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif The tech said he'd look into it and to get back to him in a few weeks. Well, a few weeks passed and there was no new news, so I waited until I was about 3 weeks from the 1-year warranty being up, and called them back.

As it turns out there was a "range" of meters produced that had a defect and they were replacing affected meters (that were under warranty) with new ones. Meters that are out of warranty are being replaced for $68 - I think.. - so don't hold me to that.

In any event, I got my replacement yesterday, and it seems to test out well - no more problems!! So, if you are one of the few folks who got a bum meter, call Meterman and get an RMA # for getting it taken care of. Meterman is a "stand-up" company in my book - from their handling of this problem. I'm satisfied. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LM631

The meter was not accurate when using the peak hold.. In 10x range with the sensor cap on, the meter would read 1170 lux.. That's too much error for total darkness. It appeared to be a logic error since the error factor was always "117" - regardless of range.

I posted this thread since others here on CPF have mentioned having similar problems with the peak hold function on their meters.