Olympia Products
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock Up On Ican's - For your home

Default Stock Up On Ican's - For your home

I purchase all my lights at night

Default Re: Stock Up On Ican's - For your home

They had a good run. I still have a box of them that I kept when I replaced everything with CFLs.

This should probably be in Fixed Lighting forum.

That video seemed.... biased.... (to say the least). Of course, they had to make a huge story out of a few hundred people losing their current jobs... They need to learn economics, for all the jobs lost in the incan business the same number will pop up in a CFL, LED, or halogen factory. The story SHOULD have been about the laws, as those might actually affect me in some way, I really don't care that some guy making a ridiculous amount of money to perform a menial task has to find another job.
    /rant

That said, I'm kind of hopeful this will push high CRI LEDs forward...

Flashaholic*

I've been stocking up for awhile now, but I need to get much more.

This is sad and sickening that the government can get away with this.

I won't have CFL's in my house. Buy all the incans you can to prevent our landfills from filling up with mercury from CFL's.

And yea MSNBC is basically like bringing totalitarian communism into your living room.
    ampdude

G.E is not the only manufacturer to produce Incandescent bulbs.
    Most bulbs I buy are from either Osram or Philips so I'm not worried at all.

I have enough incand bulbs to last 50 years in all my fixtures in various wattages.

Quote Originally Posted by wyager View Post
    I really don't care that some guy making a ridiculous amount of money to perform a menial task has to find another job.
    /rant
    My thoughts exactly. Sad day for Incans though.

They need to learn economics, for all the jobs lost in the incan business the same number will pop up in a CFL, LED, or halogen factory. .
    not in us they wont.

Quote Originally Posted by mrartillery View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Sad day for Incans though.
    Yes it is.... But doesn't anyone else think this will help LEDs a bit? I have a warm white LED desk lamp in my bedroom-it's indistinguishable from the incan on the ceiling. I imagine if they got high CRI into these bulbs it would look even better.

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    not in us they wont.
    It doesn't matter. Putting aside the advancement of robotics, an equal number of jobs will open up elsewhere to fill the supply gap left by the closing of the factory. Maybe if all they know how to do is operate lightbulb making machinery they're in trouble, but that's what they get for not getting an education. I'm not trying to be mean, but I find it hard to feel sorry for them when they make $30/hr for work that any 4th grader could do. Look at lightbulb. Push button. Look at lightbulb. Push button.
    Last edited by wyager; 09-24-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Question though - with incans there is built in demand for when they burn out.

What about with LEDs and CFLs? Will they just last forever?

Flashaholic*

In my experience CFL's burn out faster than incans. CFL's are supposed to have a longer lifespan then incans but that is rated for constant on time. Turning the light on and off greatly reduces the lifespan of the CFL. If it were left on for the entire time then it would last longer but that is really not practical.

in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    I have enough incand bulbs to last 50 years in all my fixtures in various wattages.
    I'd bet you have twice as many bulbs stocked up to go in all your hotwires too.

Please note that high-efficiency incandescent (halogen) bulbs have not been banned!

Regarding CFls... they go bad because of the electrolytic filter cap before the inverter - overheats and fails after few hundreds hours (or less). If you use fluorescents bulbs with inductive ballasts in the fixture (possibly with a good re-phasing oil capacitor), they are going to last forever.

Anthony
    Last edited by Ray_of_Light; 09-24-2010 at 04:13 PM.
    VENI, COLLUXI, VICI.

Quote Originally Posted by Techjunkie View Post
    I'd bet you have twice as many bulbs stocked up to go in all your hotwires too.
    You have no idea. I'm positive that I have more bulbs than Litho123 ever had in his hayday.

I really don't care that some guy making a ridiculous amount of money to perform a menial task has to find another job.
    /rant
    Class warfare is the #1 requirement for tyranny to prevail in a free society.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
    Class warfare is the #1 requirement for tyranny to prevail in a free society.

Eric
    What are you saying? That economic classes are a good thing or a bad thing?
    Last edited by wyager; 09-25-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Economic classes are, like alcohol, acceptable and even good in moderation. However, there is a historical trend that once wealth (not income!) stratification becomes too strained, political violence happens. This is bad. If you want to know how bad, consider the French revolution, or the rise of communism in Russia.

Eric, I thought apathy with a side-order of ignorance was the #1 necessity for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrontius View Post
    However, there is a historical trend that once wealth (not income!) stratification becomes too strained, political violence happens.
    This is correct.
    Variation in income according to skill has been proven time and time again to be necessary for the proper operation of an economy, but it's equally important that the money the more skilled make gets spent and not hoarded. Plus, keep in mind that france during the french revolution was mercantilist- a system of economy that we now know to be fundamentally flawed that said that there was a fixed amount of wealth in the world. The more you hoarded, the better off you were. Again, it's because they didn't spend the money they made. (The also set up ridiculous tariffs- those have also been proven to be bad in a strictly economic sense).
    Last edited by wyager; 09-25-2010 at 04:59 PM.

What are you saying? That economic classes are a good thing or a bad thing?
    The only road to equal results [for the many] is tyranny.

We can live as free beings with life being unfair, or we can live under tyrannical rule, still, life will not be fair, because someone is the tyrant.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Chrontius View Post
    Eric, I thought apathy with a side-order of ignorance was the #1 necessity for that.
    Equally good, pick your poison.

Eric

I have taken most of my incans out of service, haven't bought any in close to 10 years now, CFLs work fine, cost less to operate and make less heat and don't need to be replaced as often.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I have taken most of my incans out of service, haven't bought any in close to 10 years now, CFLs work fine, cost less to operate and make less heat and don't need to be replaced as often.
    And then some of us resist the indoctrination.

Quote Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
    The only road to equal results [for the many] is tyranny.

We can live as free beings with life being unfair, or we can live under tyrannical rule, still, life will not be fair, because someone is the tyrant.

Eric
    Got it

Also, does anyone know if there are any health benefits for certain kinds of bulbs? It seems to me like incans won't make nearly enough UV, same goes for LEDs.

Funny how this topic came up again

Hoarding mains rated incandescents is humorous when you consider halogen incandescent bulbs (30% more efficient) have become well established in the market already

What's wrong with wanting to improve your home's electrical efficiency Lux (and thus reduce utility rates/fees)?
    Last edited by M@elstrom; 09-26-2010 at 12:28 PM.
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

Quote Originally Posted by M@elstrom View Post
    Funny how this topic came up again

Hoarding mains rated incandescents is humorous when you consider halogen incandescent bulbs (30% more efficient) have become well established in the market already

What's wrong with wanting to improve your home's electrical efficiency Lux (and thus reduce utility rates/fees)?
    Nothing at all wrong as long as you are not being FORCED by some nitwits in Govt. who barely can tell their you-know-what from a hole in the ground -- to do/use what their liberal constituents decide everyone should do, while driving around in their own fleet of SUV, and private jets....and if the proposed replacements looked and performed the way you want artificial lighting to perform.

If someone likes the look of CFL lighting, despite their surprisingly short lifetimes since they were not rated for normal use being typically turned on/off, and as long as they don't break while unscrewing, or drop and explode the toxic materials all over, then they are free to buy them. To force the outlaw of manufacturing of incans in the USA when there is still a demand for them is insane, and will make people buy them from other countries who still have jobs making them. It's more fallout from the fictitious man caused global warming wealth redistribution scheme.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Did anyone else notice that they showed a clip of an escalade with HID headlights when the narrator said "more efficient halogen bulbs?" It seems like they don't even know the difference between the two.
    Eagletac T10L, 3D maglite with Malkoff 3-6D XP-G Dropin, Stanley 35 watt HID, Gerber LX 3.0, L-mini II Q3-5C, 2D ROP w/ LiMnNi 26650, Eagletac P100A2, Quark Mini AA XP-G S2

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Did anyone else notice that they showed a clip of an escalade with HID headlights when the narrator said "more efficient halogen bulbs?" It seems like they don't even know the difference between the two.
    Yea, I saw that and rolled my eyes. I honestly don't think most people know the difference. And of course it's not uncommon for news reporters and staff to have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
    ampdude

Quote Originally Posted by ampdude View Post
    I've been stocking up for awhile now, but I need to get much more.

This is sad and sickening that the government can get away with this.

I won't have CFL's in my house. Buy all the incans you can to prevent our landfills from filling up with mercury from CFL's.

And yea MSNBC is basically like bringing totalitarian communism into your living room.
    The mercury contained in a CFL is much less than the mercury released into the air by burning the extra coal necessary to power an incandescent lightbulb. At least a few of them won't end up in the landfills anyway, because there are CFL recycling boxes at every hardware store in my area, and plenty of other areas as well I imagine. So your "less pollution by using incans" logic is bunk. Also, totalitarianism and communism are diametric opposites.

As for whether it's sad and sickening that the government can get away with passing regulations, I suggest you leave politics out of the discussion before I or someone else take the bait.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 09-26-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxx
    msnbc is basically like bringing totalitarian communism into your living room.
    Anyone else get a laugh?
    Its such a strong characterization...gives the impression some-one at fox news (faux news) made up that talking point, 'msnbc is totalitarian communism,' and is gonna run a goggle search in a week to see how many times it was repeated.

Best,
    L

Communism (aiming towards common ownership, open access to services, shared standards of living)
    -is on the opposite side of the political spectrum from-
    Totalitarianism (an absolute rule, by individual or group, who control all and make all decisions)
    Last edited by Linger; 09-27-2010 at 08:35 PM.
    Installing Quantum Tunneling Composite (QTC) into M@glite Solitare

and if the proposed replacements looked and performed the way you want artificial lighting to perform.
    I'll honestly have to take your word on that as I've not tried the high efficiency halogen mains bulbs (though I do intend to shortly), but having said that I had imagined they would behave in a similar manner to the 12v variety...

If someone likes the look of CFL lighting, despite their surprisingly short lifetimes since they were not rated for normal use being typically turned on/off, and as long as they don't break while unscrewing, or drop and explode the toxic materials all over, then they are free to buy them. To force the outlaw of manufacturing of incans in the USA when there is still a demand for them is insane, and will make people buy them from other countries who still have jobs making them. It's more fallout from the fictitious man caused global warming wealth redistribution scheme.
    In my personal experience I've found the length of service (with CFL's) is directly related to the quality of manufacture and generally have found the units lasting well (Philips CFL bulbs), our porch light for example was replaced after 6 years... I was lucky to get 12 months+ out of the (now outlawed) incandescent bulbs, FWIW our home is completely CFL converted and out of all those I find I might be having to replace a bulb (CFL) at a rate of 1 per 6 months which is significantly less than the previous incandescent replacement schedule

Higher efficiency is a good goal... in previous years the population's electricity needs have begun to "out strip" the State's energy suppliers ability to provide making "brown outs" more common place during summer here, living on the fringe of an electricity grid means we experience complete power outages 2~4 times per year and by people making our energy work smarter (CFL's) and not harder (inefficient incandescents) there is simply more "juice on tap" to share around... and that's a good thing!
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast