Stock Up On Ican's - For your home

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
They had a good run. I still have a box of them that I kept when I replaced everything with CFLs.

This should probably be in Fixed Lighting forum.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
That video seemed.... biased.... (to say the least). Of course, they had to make a huge story out of a few hundred people losing their current jobs... They need to learn economics, for all the jobs lost in the incan business the same number will pop up in a CFL, LED, or halogen factory. The story SHOULD have been about the laws, as those might actually affect me in some way, I really don't care that some guy making a ridiculous amount of money to perform a menial task has to find another job.
/rant

That said, I'm kind of hopeful this will push high CRI LEDs forward...

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been stocking up for awhile now, but I need to get much more.

This is sad and sickening that the government can get away with this.

I won't have CFL's in my house. Buy all the incans you can to prevent our landfills from filling up with mercury from CFL's.

And yea MSNBC is basically like bringing totalitarian communism into your living room.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
G.E is not the only manufacturer to produce Incandescent bulbs.
Most bulbs I buy are from either Osram or Philips so I'm not worried at all.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
My thoughts exactly. Sad day for Incans though. :(

Yes it is.... But doesn't anyone else think this will help LEDs a bit? I have a warm white LED desk lamp in my bedroom-it's indistinguishable from the incan on the ceiling. I imagine if they got high CRI into these bulbs it would look even better.

not in us they wont.

It doesn't matter. Putting aside the advancement of robotics, an equal number of jobs will open up elsewhere to fill the supply gap left by the closing of the factory. Maybe if all they know how to do is operate lightbulb making machinery they're in trouble, but that's what they get for not getting an education. I'm not trying to be mean, but I find it hard to feel sorry for them when they make $30/hr for work that any 4th grader could do. Look at lightbulb. Push button. Look at lightbulb. Push button.

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question though - with incans there is built in demand for when they burn out.

What about with LEDs and CFLs? Will they just last forever?

spencer

Enlightened
In my experience CFL's burn out faster than incans. CFL's are supposed to have a longer lifespan then incans but that is rated for constant on time. Turning the light on and off greatly reduces the lifespan of the CFL. If it were left on for the entire time then it would last longer but that is really not practical.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please note that high-efficiency incandescent (halogen) bulbs have not been banned!

Regarding CFls... they go bad because of the electrolytic filter cap before the inverter - overheats and fails after few hundreds hours (or less). If you use fluorescents bulbs with inductive ballasts in the fixture (possibly with a good re-phasing oil capacitor), they are going to last forever.

Anthony

Last edited:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Class warfare is the #1 requirement for tyranny to prevail in a free society.

Eric

What are you saying? That economic classes are a good thing or a bad thing?

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Economic classes are, like alcohol, acceptable and even good in moderation. However, there is a historical trend that once wealth (not income!) stratification becomes too strained, political violence happens. This is bad. If you want to know how bad, consider the French revolution, or the rise of communism in Russia.

Eric, I thought apathy with a side-order of ignorance was the #1 necessity for that.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, there is a historical trend that once wealth (not income!) stratification becomes too strained, political violence happens.

This is correct. ;)
Variation in income according to skill has been proven time and time again to be necessary for the proper operation of an economy, but it's equally important that the money the more skilled make gets spent and not hoarded. Plus, keep in mind that france during the french revolution was mercantilist- a system of economy that we now know to be fundamentally flawed that said that there was a fixed amount of wealth in the world. The more you hoarded, the better off you were. Again, it's because they didn't spend the money they made. (The also set up ridiculous tariffs- those have also been proven to be bad in a strictly economic sense).

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
What are you saying? That economic classes are a good thing or a bad thing?

The only road to equal results [for the many] is tyranny.

We can live as free beings with life being unfair, or we can live under tyrannical rule, still, life will not be fair, because someone is the tyrant.

Eric