Fitorch        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steven Colbert Testifies @ US Congress

Default Steven Colbert Testifies @ US Congress

This has to be the finest accomplishment of his career, so filled with skilled comedy and subtle jabs, it left me laughing so hard, I almost blacked out. His answering of questions in the 3rd video at this site are equally hysterical, but you have to speed up to get to them (first couple are at 7:15, 13:20, & 15:30)

You can tell most US Congressmen/women did not fully appreciate his nuanced comedic points and how he was making fun of them the entire time. I present this entirely as good fun, even though it is in the most political of locations. Hopefully, the mods can see their way to allow some great comedy into CPF, no matter where anyone stands politically.

This will go down in history as perhaps the most legendary performance of a comic, staying in character even under the risks of being held liable for perjury. You have to admire his dedication to his craft.

Default Re: Steven Colbert Testifies @ US Congress

I have to admit it was funny

Flashaholic*

Definitely a good laugh.

Sarcasm at its finest.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    Hopefully, the mods can see their way to allow some great comedy into CPF, no matter where anyone stands politically.
    You're expecting the replies to all consist of comments about it being funny?

Why not post it in the Underground, where everyone can say whatever they like about it?

We'll see how it goes.

Yes, I am presenting and asking that people just enjoy it for the humor, and not do anything with it to close the thread. As you say, we'll see how it goes.

I don't do the Underground based on a number of unsoliticited warning PM's about the tone and nature I have received about it in the past, so if you need to pre-emptively lock this thread just in case, go for it. Life will somehow go on.

I did think posting this would make a positive contribution (in terms of bringing humor) to the CPF forums...but I have been wrong previously.

That was pure Colbert awesomeness

The guy next to him cracked up when he was messing around with him and you could see a bunch of people in the Congress crack a smile. Absolutely brilliant.

No one takes professional comedians seriously.

Colbert received an extremely rare opportunity to show that he's more than just a professional court jester or fool. And instead, he decided to flush that opportunity down the toilet.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

There's lots of congressional meetings all the time about different topics. A single one with jokes, out of the many without, I don't see a problem. If this sort of thing happened constantly, then it would be different. Let it go.

Its a tricky line. It was the court jester who was permitted to tell the king the truths he did not want to hear. The serious types could find their favorite body parts removed for doing the same thing.

Then as today, keeping that ability means continuing to hide what you're actually saying.
    Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

Quote Originally Posted by LotusDarkrose View Post
    There's lots of congressional meetings all the time about different topics. A single one with jokes, out of the many without, I don't see a problem. If this sort of thing happened constantly, then it would be different. Let it go.
    It doesn't bother me. He showed he has no serious side. He got some laughs. But ultimately accomplished nothing.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    Its a tricky line. It was the court jester who was permitted to tell the king the truths he did not want to hear. The serious types could find their favorite body parts removed for doing the same thing.

Then as today, keeping that ability means continuing to hide what you're actually saying.
    It's different than it was back then.

When "The Elephant Man" came out, no one knew who was the driving force behind the film. That individual left his name off of the credits. Turns out, this classic never would have seen the light of day had it not been for Mel Brooks, the comedic legend. He wanted the film to be taken seriously. He knew that wasn't going to happen if his name was linked to the film. So he intentionally made sure it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    No one takes professional comedians seriously.

Colbert received an extremely rare opportunity to show that he's more than just a professional court jester or fool. And instead, he decided to flush that opportunity down the toilet.
    Yep... he wasted the time of high ranking political officials, and made EVERYONE look bad in the process. Now they all look like a joke, what kind of self-respecting institution gives someone talking privilege because they are a celebrity? Let alone a government institution... It wasn't even very funny compared to some of Colbert's other comedy. I have a hard time taking congress seriously when they agree to let a comedian waste their time when they could be listening to a political or economic scientist with valuable insight.

Quote Originally Posted by wyager View Post
    Yep... he wasted the time of high ranking political officials, and made EVERYONE look bad in the process. Now they all look like a joke, what kind of self-respecting institution gives someone talking privilege because they are a celebrity? Let alone a government institution... It wasn't even very funny compared to some of Colbert's other comedy. I have a hard time taking congress seriously when they agree to let a comedian waste their time when they could be listening to a political or economic scientist with valuable insight.
    Al Franken.

Quote Originally Posted by sabre7 View Post
    Al Franken.
    At least he's not cracking half-hearted jokes during a congressional meeting...

I think we all should be able to testify before this body, after all we employ them. That being said perhaps they could have been using that time to pass an actual budget, vote on a real appropriations bill, but no we will continue to have government via continuing resolution and super happy fun time.
    Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by Beamhead View Post
    I think we all should be able to testify before this body, after all we employ them. That being said perhaps they could have been using that time to pass an actual budget, vote on a real appropriations bill, but no we will continue to have government via continuing resolution and super happy fun time.
    Don't be ridiculous. Clearly our cash is better spent treating political issues like entertainment.

This is why I sometimes wish government was more like jury duty for Ph.D.s or something. A lot more would get done, a lot faster, and with a lot less BS.

At least he's not cracking half-hearted jokes during a congressional meeting...
    No he just repeatedly makes faces and rolls his eyes on camera during opponents speeches and then has to go try and apologize later.

Empath, I guess you were right. This was never posted to be about the serious subject or the political institution, but here I sit, corrected. You may as well lock it, but in closing.....It's comedy, folks, and somone having the temerity to stay in character at such an auspicious setting is unprecedented. I cannot think of a parallel.

Lux, come to the underground, its not as frightening as you think.
    Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

but in closing.....It's comedy, folks, and somone having the temerity to stay in character at such an auspicious setting is unprecedented.
    I agree. That is 100% correct.

Thankfully, other professional comedians know when it's time to take off the big red clown nose.

{Colbert} having the temerity to stay in character at such an auspicious setting is unprecedented. I cannot think of a parallel.
    A few years ago, Colbert gave the address at 'The White House Press Corospondents Dinner,' an anual gala event which then president George W Bush (the younger) and most governmental VIP's attended. Colbert was feet away from Bush while he roasted him, but Colbert remained in character as an ultra-right winger and few / none of those in attendance got the jokes. It was a very tight monologue, jokes with-in jokes, double entendre's, brilliance and daring.

//

Re: Satire - sometimes it can make a very strong point.

re: little wasted $ - Colbert explained Thursday night that all expenses were out of his pocket, though the US congress would provide a glass of water for those speaking before the commitee.
    Last edited by Linger; 09-25-2010 at 02:02 AM.
    Installing Quantum Tunneling Composite (QTC) into M@glite Solitare

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Thankfully, other professional comedians know when it's time to take off the big red clown nose.
    That explains a lot: I think you watched the wrong clip, Colbert was wearing a nice suit but no red nose.

Has he ever worn a red nose?

Nice suit though. Anyone recall his custom pin-striped hoodie when he faced Republican Senator? He's a well dressed person.
    Installing Quantum Tunneling Composite (QTC) into M@glite Solitare

I enjoy a good joke even when it mocks my political position, such as the works of the late George Carlin. I don't however find much humor in Steven Colbert's routines.

Got anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    That explains a lot: I think you watched the wrong clip, Colbert was wearing a nice suit but no red nose.

Has he ever worn a red nose?

Nice suit though. Anyone recall his custom pin-striped hoodie when he faced Republican Senator? He's a well dressed person.
    On the off chance you're not being sarcastic, the red nose was not in reference to a literal one.

Yep... he wasted the time of high ranking political officials, and made EVERYONE look bad in the process. Now they all look like a joke....
    1st, I thought it was funny too! You get what you pay for! 2nd, with the way congress has behaved for the last 20 or so years, this didn't make them look like a joke. They've been doing that on their own! This was only the seltzer water to wash off the pie already on their face!
    You Can't Fix STUPID!

Crackup Re: Steven Colbert Testifies @ US Congress

Enjoyed it Lux....

The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhone in the other

I have a hard time taking congress seriously when they agree to let a comedian waste their time when they could be listening to a political or economic scientist with valuable insight.
    Because thats been working so well thusfar...
    And Teeming With Souls Shall It Ever Be.
    NOTICE: I'm a guy. Im to poor to buy cheap.
    Aeon- Smaller, Brighter, Better...

Flashaholic*

He didn't waste anyone's time.
    BTW, wasn't he invited by those high ranking officials? They got what they asked for.

And, like smacking someone in the back of the head, this still won't knock any common sense into these 'high ranking' officials. Get out and vote.

Empath, I guess you were right. This was never posted to be about the serious subject or the political institution, but here I sit, corrected. You may as well lock it, but in closing.....It's comedy, folks, and somone having the temerity to stay in character at such an auspicious setting is unprecedented. I cannot think of a parallel.
    I hate to be such a stickler, I mean it was funny to watch, but I'm kind of disappointed in both congress and colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyoak View Post
    Because thats been working so well thusfar...
    Congress hasn't really tried that thus far... They spend most of their time ignoring scientists. Do you remember the endangered species "god committee"? They were a group set up by congress, used to determine whether or not the extinction of the snail darter fish was economically viable. Not only did they find there could be severe environmental repercussions, but also that the whole water project congress was trying to pork barrel that would kill the fish was not economically viable or remotely smart. Congress ignored this team of scientists they assembled because they don't care about anything but getting money, getting votes, and staying in office. (although I think in the end the project was vetoed by the president because of all the bad publicity or something)

So again, I think if they actually listened to scientists, they might do a better job...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast