Steven Colbert Testifies @ US Congress

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
This has to be the finest accomplishment of his career, so filled with skilled comedy and subtle jabs, it left me laughing so hard, I almost blacked out. His answering of questions in the 3rd video at this site are equally hysterical, but you have to speed up to get to them (first couple are at 7:15, 13:20, & 15:30)

You can tell most US Congressmen/women did not fully appreciate his nuanced comedic points and how he was making fun of them the entire time. I present this entirely as good fun, even though it is in the most political of locations. Hopefully, the mods can see their way to allow some great comedy into CPF, no matter where anyone stands politically.

This will go down in history as perhaps the most legendary performance of a comic, staying in character even under the risks of being held liable for perjury. You have to admire his dedication to his craft.

Empath

Flashaholic
Hopefully, the mods can see their way to allow some great comedy into CPF, no matter where anyone stands politically.

You're expecting the replies to all consist of comments about it being funny?

Why not post it in the Underground, where everyone can say whatever they like about it?

We'll see how it goes.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yes, I am presenting and asking that people just enjoy it for the humor, and not do anything with it to close the thread. As you say, we'll see how it goes.

I don't do the Underground based on a number of unsoliticited warning PM's about the tone and nature I have received about it in the past, so if you need to pre-emptively lock this thread just in case, go for it. Life will somehow go on.

I did think posting this would make a positive contribution (in terms of bringing humor) to the CPF forums...but I have been wrong previously.

LotusDarkrose

Newly Enlightened
That was pure Colbert awesomeness :twothumbs

The guy next to him cracked up when he was messing around with him and you could see a bunch of people in the Congress crack a smile. Absolutely brilliant.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No one takes professional comedians seriously.

Colbert received an extremely rare opportunity to show that he's more than just a professional court jester or fool. And instead, he decided to flush that opportunity down the toilet.

LotusDarkrose

Newly Enlightened
There's lots of congressional meetings all the time about different topics. A single one with jokes, out of the many without, I don't see a problem. If this sort of thing happened constantly, then it would be different. Let it go.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Its a tricky line. It was the court jester who was permitted to tell the king the truths he did not want to hear. The serious types could find their favorite body parts removed for doing the same thing.

Then as today, keeping that ability means continuing to hide what you're actually saying.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
There's lots of congressional meetings all the time about different topics. A single one with jokes, out of the many without, I don't see a problem. If this sort of thing happened constantly, then it would be different. Let it go.

It doesn't bother me. He showed he has no serious side. He got some laughs. But ultimately accomplished nothing.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Its a tricky line. It was the court jester who was permitted to tell the king the truths he did not want to hear. The serious types could find their favorite body parts removed for doing the same thing.

Then as today, keeping that ability means continuing to hide what you're actually saying.

It's different than it was back then.

When "The Elephant Man" came out, no one knew who was the driving force behind the film. That individual left his name off of the credits. Turns out, this classic never would have seen the light of day had it not been for Mel Brooks, the comedic legend. He wanted the film to be taken seriously. He knew that wasn't going to happen if his name was linked to the film. So he intentionally made sure it wasn't.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one takes professional comedians seriously.

Colbert received an extremely rare opportunity to show that he's more than just a professional court jester or fool. And instead, he decided to flush that opportunity down the toilet.

Yep... he wasted the time of high ranking political officials, and made EVERYONE look bad in the process. Now they all look like a joke, what kind of self-respecting institution gives someone talking privilege because they are a celebrity? Let alone a government institution... It wasn't even very funny compared to some of Colbert's other comedy. I have a hard time taking congress seriously when they agree to let a comedian waste their time when they could be listening to a political or economic scientist with valuable insight.

sabre7

Enlightened
Yep... he wasted the time of high ranking political officials, and made EVERYONE look bad in the process. Now they all look like a joke, what kind of self-respecting institution gives someone talking privilege because they are a celebrity? Let alone a government institution... It wasn't even very funny compared to some of Colbert's other comedy. I have a hard time taking congress seriously when they agree to let a comedian waste their time when they could be listening to a political or economic scientist with valuable insight.
Al Franken.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we all should be able to testify before this body, after all we employ them. That being said perhaps they could have been using that time to pass an actual budget, vote on a real appropriations bill, but no we will continue to have government via continuing resolution and super happy fun time.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we all should be able to testify before this body, after all we employ them. That being said perhaps they could have been using that time to pass an actual budget, vote on a real appropriations bill, but no we will continue to have government via continuing resolution and super happy fun time.

Don't be ridiculous. Clearly our cash is better spent treating political issues like entertainment. :rolleyes:

This is why I sometimes wish government was more like jury duty for Ph.D.s or something. A lot more would get done, a lot faster, and with a lot less BS.

sabre7

Enlightened
At least he's not cracking half-hearted jokes during a congressional meeting...

No he just repeatedly makes faces and rolls his eyes on camera during opponents speeches and then has to go try and apologize later.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Empath, I guess you were right. This was never posted to be about the serious subject or the political institution, but here I sit, corrected. You may as well lock it, but in closing.....It's comedy, folks, and somone having the temerity to stay in character at such an auspicious setting is unprecedented. I cannot think of a parallel.