IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

26mm long Silver Tritium Norland Pugga you've done it again
IMG_0920.jpg

Size comparison with the great Tiglow by Bart

Last edited:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
People need to get more creative with jewelry. Tritium is a good way to do that. If I was getting someone a wedding ring, I would probably stay away from diamonds. Diamonds suck, they are totally useless, they can catch fire pretty easily, the prices are kept artificially high, the "natural" diamond industry has a lot of blood on its hands, etc. They are OK for optics and not much more. Now tritium jewelry, that's cool. Why has no one made a tritium wedding ring? Or at least semi-functional wedding rings? Like, say, a reservoir filled with formic acid at the tip of the jewel, for self-defense purposes :devil:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was getting someone a wedding ring, I would probably stay away from diamonds. Diamonds suck, they are totally useless, they can catch fire pretty easily, the prices are kept artificially high, the "natural" diamond industry has a lot of blood on its hands, etc. They are OK for optics and not much more.

while I may agree wholeheartedly with your post (er, except with the catching fire part. :shrug: ), unfortunately, social norms continue to use diamonds as a symbol of love..and debeers continues to profit off blood and sweat.

how do you change a social norm? :sick2:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
while I may agree wholeheartedly with your post (er, except with the catching fire part. :shrug: ), unfortunately, social norms continue to use diamonds as a symbol of love..and debeers continues to profit off blood and sweat.

how do you change a social norm? :sick2:

If you expose a diamond to high oxygen levels, it will burn like wood. If you expose a diamond to high heat, it will also burn. Apparently after jewelry melts in a house fire, all that's left is puddles of gold, as well as intact sapphires and rubies and stuff. But all the diamonds will have burned away. That's the main reason I said diamonds were flammable, if I'm gonna pay for expensive jewelry that's otherwise useless, I want it to last through ANYTHING. That means titanium/platinum/chromium metals and durable crystals. It could even be less expensive per ounce than gold.

Of course, that's assuming I conform to the social construction of expensive decoration representing love :nana:

Last edited:

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
@ malakye666

Very nice! I commented on the items in your pic in the other thread.
Is that titanium or tungsten carbide....or none of the above?

@ wyagr

I found this >

Gold - Melting point: 1337.33 K (1064.18 °C, 1947.52 °F)
Silver - Melting point 1761F 961C
Platinum - Melting point 3224F 1773C
Titanium - melting point (more than 1,650 °C or 3,000 °F)
Ruby - Melting point: 2050°C
Sapphire - Melting point 2040 °C
Diamond - Melting point 3550C 4827F

Don't know how accurate the above is, but I did verify a couple of those temps on other sites.

Last edited:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ wyagr

I found this >

Gold - Melting point: 1337.33 K (1064.18 °C, 1947.52 °F)
Silver - Melting point 1761F 961C
Platinum - Melting point 3224F 1773C
Titanium - melting point (more than 1,650 °C or 3,000 °F)
Ruby - Melting point: 2050°C
Sapphire - Melting point 2040 °C
Diamond - Melting point 3550C 4827F

Don't know how accurate the above is, but I did verify a couple of those temps on other sites.

Yep. That's basically it. Here's the thing-in most situations, diamonds don't "melt", they burn. Diamonds will burn at relatively low temperatures in earth atmosphere.
EDIT: In earth atmosphere, diamonds will combust at 1560 degrees Fahrenheit. That means that well before platinum, titanium or chromium will melt your diamond will be gone.

Last edited:

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
Yep. That's basically it. Here's the thing-in most situations, diamonds don't "melt", they burn. Diamonds will burn at relatively low temperatures in earth atmosphere.
EDIT: In earth atmosphere, diamonds will combust at 1560 degrees Fahrenheit. That means that well before platinum, titanium or chromium will melt your diamond will be gone.

Diamonds burn in pure oxygen at about 1320 degrees Fahrenheit. In air (which is about 20% oxygen), the temperature raises to around 1560 degrees Fahrenheit.

Read more: Does diamond burn or melt? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/422319#ixzz10hCR1ZmN

The Diamond appears to be the most robust of the Precious Gems.
If my Diamonds ever get burned or melted, more than likely so will I, as I usually never leave home without them :)

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Diamond appears to be the most robust of the Precious Gems.
If my Diamonds ever get burned or melted, more than likely so will I, as I usually never leave home without them :)

As demonstrated, there are other, much more robust gems... :confused: (at a lower cost, too)
And the idea for me is that if my house were to burn down while I was outside, I would rather have the jewelry still be intact.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which gems?

As someone said, cubic zirconia is more fire resistant that diamonds... and things like sapphires and rubies will not oxidize at low temperatures like diamonds will. So basically a lot of stuff is more robust than diamonds are... (except for scratch resistance).

pugga

Newly Enlightened
Anyway back on topic, looks great:twothumbs can't wait to get back and pick up the Ti to try and do one in solid gold for you Malakye666:devil:

Cheers pugga

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway back on topic, looks great:twothumbs can't wait to get back and pick up the Ti to try and do one in solid gold for you Malakye666:devil:

Cheers pugga

:paypal:(maybe)
If you would do gold trit pendants without using too much metal, and in a way that the tritium could be replaced, I think those would sell pretty well... :grin2:

pugga

Newly Enlightened
Hi Wyager,

Thats a good idea, however with my pendants replacing would be hard because I set the trits in the pendant with norland which enhances the look and glow. It also means the trit is protected a little more and won't get bits of fluff etc in the holes. I haven't tried to get the trits out but can imagine it won't be the easiest thing to do, not impossible but hard to do and save the trits. I have the idea for doing the same as above in gold with an orange trit.

Cheers pugga

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norland can be loosened by hot water, no? I'm just thinking in the long run, after 12 years the trit fades to half intensity and it would be nice to be able to replace it.

shhh

Newly Enlightened
Anyway to seal just the holes in Norland?
Keep the trit snug but not set permanently.
Maybe have a threaded cap to be able to replace trit.
Or change colors to match clothes.
"Wifes Idea" she said she would rock one on a necklace.
But would love to be able to swap out colors.