Can you mate a Bench made to a multi tool?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I just realized we had knife section here on candlepower forum so wanted to ask you experts my newbie knife question.

For years I've carried around leatherman mutit tools. Someone recently bought me a "Benchmade" folding knife and I love it and usually don't edc the leatherman anymore.
(FWIW I don't know what kind of benchmade I have; it's got about a 4" long blade that is serated the last inch or so.)

I really like having a dedicated blade; I've got wussy fingernails and getting the blade on the leatherman out quickly is tough. I spend a lot of time in hostile jungle enviornments and need to be able to access the blade quickly. I can open the Benchmade with a flick of my wrist.
However I do miss some of the tools on the multi tool knife. My dream knife (and for all I know someone already makes this) would be just like my Benchmade but about an inch longer. The main blade would be the focal point of the knife. However I would like to have 2 long but smaller blades built into the handle. One would be a wood/bamboo saw, and the the other would be one of those funky, hard, carbide diamond coated rods you can use to cut steel or even rock. The each one of those longer blades would have a screwdriver bit on the end - the phillips one could be one of those 3 sided deals swiss army knives have.

So does anything like that exist? Or are their custom knife buiders that can make something like that?

TIA Rick

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Thanks - i just checked out the Charge on their website. What I can't figure out is is the outside blade readily available? On my benchmade I just flick my wrist and the main blade is open... how easy it the leatherman charge blade to open?

Microtech

Newly Enlightened
The Leatherman Charge TTI not only has a one hand opening blade, but that blade is made of superior blade steel too, S30V is stain resistant, also holds and takes an edge incredibly well, purpose built for knife use, or if you want a more inexpensive option check out a leatherman wave, same tool as a Charge just with no bits that come with it and 420 HC steel instead of S30V

iamdaloser

Newly Enlightened
The two readily accessible knives are the fully serrated knife and the plain edge knife. The other two are the file and saw.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I've been carrying a Leatherman WAVE for years now. I know, I know, discontinued, but I think that Charger is the replacement. I like being able to open either the slender clip point standard blade or the blunt ended serrated blade with a nudge of my thumb. I don't care much about "assisted opening" or seeing it "snap" open. But one-handed opening is a must. I have the 20 piece accessory tool kit, and I use the Allen bits, hex bits and Torx bits fairly often.

The Leatherman is on the left side of my belt. I finally wore out the original case, and picked up a Myerco case at a gun show. That case has lost its vertical carry belt loop, so is now in horizontal carry mode.

On my right, clipped into my front pocket, is my Al Mar SERE2000. I've had it for a few years, too. I recently saw one that looked the same but had assisted opening. The only spring on mine is the section of frame that also serves as the frame lock. I've used this knife hard, and my only criticism is that the pocket clip should be on the hinge end, so a stray thread can't snag the thumb stud and start to open the knife in your pocket (hmm....a good reason NOT to have assisted opening).

You may not want to add the 4" Crescent and mini-Leatherman that ride in my left pocket, but I do recommend both a Leatherman and a heavy duty locking folder.

yamaha

Newly Enlightened
You may want to look at the Gerber multi plier 800. All tools are available without opening the pliers. The rem grit saw blade and the wire cutters can be replaced. I have carried and used on daily for years....I also carry a Benchmade knife along with the multi tool.