Opinions on Card Tools

Imon

Enlightened
So I was thinking about buying a Victorinox SwissCard when I saw another brand, Tool Logic, and that got me thinking that there's a market in tools like these.
Before I push the button on any order I was wondering what your opinions on card tools were? Do you find them worth the money, personally useful, and reasonably functional or are they novelty?

Lucciola

Enlightened
Hi Imon!

I can't comment on tool logic, but I had the swiss card for a while, but I gave it away again to a friend who liked it.

I just have enough plastic cards in my wallet and those card tools are generally thicker than a normal credit card. So it made my wallet too thick. Generally I have space in my wallet (because I spend my money on flashlights :crackup:) but the card tool was a bit too much. In addition I found the tools more flimsy to use because you don't have the handle of a penknife.

So after a short test period I put my victorinox rambler back on my keychain and I'm happy again. The cardtool is not bad in therms of quality, but I found it to be of very limited use for me.

Lucciola

ASheep

Enlightened
I've had a Swisscard for quite a while, the spring on my scissors broke about a year ago, and the little protractor/scissors cover snapped off long ago. Like Lucciola, I found it was too thick to carry in my wallet. It still sees occasional use, but EDCing a spartan lite and a gerber multi-plier gives much more useful tools.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I keep a Swisscard in a small, travel-sized, pouch; along with other useful items.

Be aware that in some places, carrying a fixed blade knife concealed is a big no-no. And that little scalpel blade in a Swisscard can be classified as a fixed blade knife. The fact that it's in your wallet can be seen as concealed. As retarded as it is, the guy standing next to you with a monster folder clipped to the top of his pocket is fine. But if found, and the officer is a by-the-book robot, that little scalpel blade can land you in jail.

Imon

Enlightened
I keep a Swisscard in a small, travel-sized, pouch; along with other useful items.

Be aware that in some places, carrying a fixed blade knife concealed is a big no-no. And that little scalpel blade in a Swisscard can be classified as a fixed blade knife. The fact that it's in your wallet can be seen as concealed. As retarded as it is, the guy standing next to you with a monster folder clipped to the top of his pocket is fine. But if found, and the officer is a by-the-book robot, that little scalpel blade can land you in jail.

:shakehead
Well I certainly don't want to be seen as concealing a fixed blade knife.

I suppose I'll just stick with my Leatherman Squirt and Micra. Perhaps if I see a card tool for a good price I'll pick it up. Thanks for your input guys!

Cptnodegard

Newly Enlightened
I have a Swisscard Lite and it's great. Much better set of tools than the original IMO. I have left the knife out though, and use that space to store some 400 grit sand paper instead.