Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: NJ Flashaholics

Default NJ Flashaholics

I can't be the only one. Will all other guilty parties please identify themselves.

Default Re: NJ Flashaholics

Sorry, I only now saw the post. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif[/img] I believe MilkySpit is also NJ, I'm pretty sure he's North Jersey. I'm Central/North.

Also noticed that TOB9595 is in Flemington, NJ. I can't believe I forgot that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif[/img]

Guilty! Didn't know we had a lot-get-together a must. *That* would be downright therapeutic! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Edit again: Denville in Morris Co.

Rich

Unenlightened

Guilty!

Pompton Lakes

Ken

Flashaholic

Essex County.

Flashaholic

I'm in the Oak Ridge section of West Milford. Just up Rt 23 from Pompton Lakes. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif[/img]

I thought NJ would have a larger presence on CPF. I think it might have something to do with not many folks reading this area.

Flashaholic

Reading "English", you mean? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*
    NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!

Guilty! Bergen co. to be more or less, specific [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ed

I've been away for a while and was lucky to see this. A great question.
    From the hills of Flemington.
    Milkyspit is North of here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I had a blast when he and I met up.
    I can't get across to most folks the excitement of some aspects of walking towards the light. And I work with some real techie types. Just no appreciation for good lighting....sigh [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Tom

Flashaholic*

Hi guys, I just saw this post, sorry for the late reply, I'm here in Middletown, NJ.

Hey folks! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Better late than never I guess. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

I'm from Califon, NJ, which most of you have probably never heard of. It's not terribly big.

And yes! I met TOB9595 and we had a lightfest. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif[/img]

I highly recommend some sort of flashaholic get together. Those folks on the left coast did it; why can't we?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

I totally agree about a get together. I live in a townhouse, not the best place for a get together. Does anyone have a suitable place to offer, or would a public area such as a State Park be more agreeable to everyone?

Let's get a list together of all the NJ (Tri-State)(or anyone who is willing to travel to this area) Flashaholics, who are interested in a get together, and where you're from.

I'll start:

KartRacer31 - (Tim) - Middletown, NJ

Flashaholic

I'm In.

Bob (Livingston)

Flashaholic

I'm in too.
    Tech a Billy (Oak Ridge)

I'm in.
    Milkyspit (Scott) in Califon, NJ

Flashaholic*
    NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!

I'm in. e=mc² (Ed) from (Paramus, NJ)

e-

2nd post-I'm in. (Denville) I toggled 'favorite thread' so I can track this via my email.

Rich

I'm in (if I'm off that weekend)
    and I even offer to host.
    Pretty dark here.
    A park would be great but 'after dark' activities gets frowned and focused on in the more Urban(e) areas on the east coast [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Has to be on the new moon....darkest....pitch....
    (I think the new moon is no moon, yes?)
    Flemington is really centrally located ....
    If you live in Three Bridges or Readington Township.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Tom

... how about something like a weekend thing at one of the southern-jersey shores.

Hmm... it's getting late in the season for going to the shore, though it does seem like a pretty good idea.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

I assume an overnight or weekend activity would justify the travel for those at the farthest reaches of the state, and give us plenty of darkness for playing with all the flashlights? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Also, something more-or-less centrally located in the state would help.

Here are a couple ideas that might be interesting, though not necessarily centrally located...

We could get together someplace in the Pine Barrens for a weekend. Gotta be some good flashlight opportunities in there! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I've always wanted to see that region, too.

It might also be neat to take a group trip to Edison's Laboratory in Menlo Park, plus plan some other things (dinner, sightseeing, trip to a really dark field with trunkfuls of extremely powerful lights [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) and do this over a couple days. That way, those in south Jersey could get the most for their driving time. Hotels are plentiful, of course, and/or I would be willing to host whoever fits in my home for overnight accommodations to save them some cash. The Edison's Laboratory thing has some significance, of course, since ol' Tom got the whole lighting thing started...

(Edit: group picture by the big Edison light bulb statue! Woo hoo! That would be a darned cool photo to post on CPF. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] )

A third idea (as long as I can convince my wife) is for you all to come to my home for a weekend! There happens to be an abandoned limestone quarry from the early 1900s within walking distance behind the house. That would be a GREAT place to torture test some flashlights. Whaddya say?
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif[/img]

Anyone like these ideas, or have some others?

I vote for:

richpalm, Denville! I bought my car in Denville. (Rt. 10 actually.) Do you ever go to Arthur's Tavern in Morris Plains? (Sorry for straying off-topic, but I get excited when folks from my own 'hood show up.) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Beretta, that's a TERRIFIC picture of the, er, tower of power. (The Edison's light monument mentioned above.) Heh heh... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif[/img]

All, did one of you recently buy all the Dorcy 1aaa LED lights in my local Walmart in Clinton? Dangit! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img]

Last night I was in that exact Walmart for exactly those lights, and came up empty. There was a guy in the checkout line behind me buying a Garrity LED headlamp, though... wonder if he's a CPFer? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Bergen County-

Flashaholic

I'm from Jackson - near Lakewood and Howell, right off Rt. 9 S. - I'm in if the time fits - be away from 10/18-11/5.

Al

Flashaholic

Hey milkyspit - I was in Califon just last week - we go up that way every few weeks just for a drive.

Al

Al, cool! Little did I know that another CPFer made their way to Califon. That's quite a trip from NYC! Both in distance and environment. Hope you had a good stay. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

(Edit: sidebar says NYC, but you posted JACKSON. Oops. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] Still a good drive!)

Next time you decide to come out this way, give me some advance notice and maybe we could get together. Also TOB9595, who lives down the road a bit.

As for the larger gathering, I hope we can make it work. Should be lots of fun! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
    milkyspit said:
    Al That's quite a trip from NYC! Both in distance and environment. Hope you had a good stay. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - work in NYC - downtown by the Federal Courthouse but commute in from Jackson, NJ by bus. Take the 4:20am in 3:40 out, long day.

My wife likes Califon - thinks it's one of the last real small towns. We wander around that whole area. I like to go up into Schoolies Mtn (is that spelled right?) - there a real nice park up there, I think it's on 517 or something.

We were in Califon for the garage sale a couple of weeks ago - bought a few things. Stopped at that railroad museum and talked with the old guy watching the place. Neat!. Maybe we'll see you next time if I know we're going. Not soon though, we're leaving for FL and Key west for festival, be away 10/17 - 11/5.

Al

Al, PM sent. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think the spelling is "Schooley's Mountain," by the way. The road over it connects Long Valley with Hackettstown. If you've driven from Califon to Long Valley, you passed my house! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif[/img]

There's an apple and peach orchard next to us that lets people pick their own fruit off the trees. Great weekend family activity! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

That little train station is one of my favorite buildings, er, anywhere! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It's great. Santa Claus visits the children there each December. Also, there's a rail trail (the old railbed) running past the building, so there's plenty of walking and biking to be had in the area. Fishing, too, with the river nearby. It's a good town for outdoor activities.

You leave for work at 4:20am? That's harsh, dude. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif[/img]

All, anyone think we should try to squeeze in some kind of flashaholic outing this autumn, or wait for warmer weather in the spring? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]