Survival Checklist -- Flashlights(check)

coolguy

Newly Enlightened
Living here in Hawaii, we have Hurricanes to worry about. About 10 years ago a Hurricane came in sweeping through the island of Kauai wiping out all of their power and water for weeks. Needless to say, I felt very sorry for these unfortunate people. An occasional blackout would be welcomed by all of us here but, 3 weeks is a long damn time. I was perusing a local news site, and came across their Hurricane Survival Checklist.

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/weather/776961/detail.html

I think that their take on flashlights is kind of weak. They should really go into led lights and the extended battery life, incandescents for throw and what not. All they say is, "Battery-operated radio, flashlights, non-electric can opener, extra batteries" I give em credit for saying flashlights though, implying that you need more than one. In any case what kinds of flashlights would you have on hand in case of natural disaster?

I figure for me, I would like to have-

A crap load of batteries
Infinities for run time
Attitude for slightly more brightness
My Arc LS for more brightness
My TL-2 Led and Xenon for throw
Surge for backup brightness
Lightwave 4000 for long term brightness
...Come to think of it I'd like to have all my lights on hand. Just in terms of sheer versatility, having so many different lights provides us with so many options.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anglelux,
24 hours plus of brightness on two D cells will do the trick. Figure (at max) 4 hours per day of light the Anglelux will go for 6 plus days on 2 D cells. Two cells in the light and a four-pack of D cells in reserve will give you almost three weeks of light.

rodmeister

Enlightened
Hey Coolguy, "Lucky you live Hawaii."

Some ideas from Los Angeles, land of riots, earthquakes and rolling blackouts (I lived in Manoa Valley, attended Roosevelt HS, and 3 years at UH, until I transferred to UCLA for better job prospects in California - what was I thinking? Now I dream of returning to Hawaii.)

Your lights should easily get you through three weeks, especially the Lightwave 4000.

Consider adding a couple of headlamps like the Tikka, Zipka (the size of a large egg) and Aurora. They free-up both hands, a real plus when dealing with a storm or civil emergency. You can fix windows, stack sandbags, load ammo, whatever, without having to hold a flashlight. Less fatiguing and the light points automatically whatever you look at. I'm really big on this.

Get a bunch of battery adapters to increase versatility. Keep a variety of batteries but concentrate on AAA's and AA's, using adapters for "C" and "D" celled lights if you run out of the bigger cells.

Get some NiMH batteries and a rapid charger. You can recharge them if the power is intermittant, or if authorities ration power to certain hours.

Add a Brunton solar charger to charge NiMH's after the storm passes, in case power plants in Oahu are seriously damaged.

Inverter. Converts car battery juice to AC power. The inverter with the rapid charger can charge your NiMh batteries without having to run your engine, and it's a lot cheaper and smaller than a generator. I just bought a 800 peak watts/400 continuous watts, inverter at Costco for 25 bucks. It can run a tv and/or a few 50 watt bulbs, though I have to run the car engine about 10 minutes for every hour of car battery use. Not perfect but another option.

coolguy

Newly Enlightened
benthead:
Thanks for the advice. I've never heard of Anglelux before. What kind of flashoholic am I?...

rodmeister:
Thanks for the advice. I used to live in Manoa to, I lived there the the first half of my life then moving out to Aiea. I probably would have attended Roosevelt, had I not attended Mid-Pacific. I attended the University of Hawaii, and throughout that time it took me 5 years to graduate like most UH students... I finally got out last year but, I decided to go back for more education. You're right, job prospects here suck.

In any case because I wrote this post yesterday, I dreamt about being in a hurricane situation. I dreamt that all power had gone out not to mention all utilities being down. But, like most dreams(you know the ones where nothing works properly), I didn't have any lights or batteries. The only light I had was a crummy little photon, that I used to keep equipped on my keys years back.

I probably wouldn't have written this post but, there is a slim chance that a Hurricane will pass pretty close to the islands on Monday. Usually when Hurricanes come past this way they start out on the West Coast, die down in the cold water, and restrengthen near Hawaii. The last time we were hit, they never predicted that it would even touch us. But, it took a sharp turn North and obliterated may houses on the island that I am not living on.

paulr

Flashaholic
Have you got enough food for 3 weeks? If not, decide to rely on relief supplies coming in, or re-evaluate your priorities. You can't eat batteries.

Kanai

Newly Enlightened
hey coolguy, If we did lose power here, i think we have enough lights between the local flashaholics to light up this islands for a few weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rodmeister

Enlightened
Forgot to mention that Oahu might be a target because of all the military facilities there. I read the Honolulu Star-Bulletin online, and recall some kind of alert or warning about this recently. So being prepared is a real good idea.

A few cases of MRE's, barrels of water, some kind of rain catcher, sheet plastic for a solar still, and chlorine bleach or iodine tablets to disinfect the water. Also consider you may have to share supplies or be able to defend them, if you know what I mean, though I think the people of Hawaii are different from LA where they will riot at the drop of a hat (I'm exaggerating of course.)

Drjones

Enlightened
Firearms and ammunition should be at the top of everyone's "survival kit" list.

All the food, batteries, water, flashlights, etc. won't do you a lick of good if you are dead.

I think anyone here who has been through any sort of natural disaster or riot knows that, often the police cannot or will not be able to reach you for a myriad of reasons.

Add in that very often thugs like to take advantage of the chaos in the aftermath of a natural disaster to go looting, and firearms are a must.

WHODYATHINK

Newly Enlightened
Here on the East coast, when a snow storm is predicted everyone hoardes bread and milk ..... I hoarde chips and beer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

coolguy

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Have you got enough food for 3 weeks? If not, decide to rely on relief supplies coming in, or re-evaluate your priorities. You can't eat batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Priorities... Batteries or Food, Light or Food... Hmmm... Good point. Batteries or Food... Nah, it's good point Paulr. I actually wrote the post with the intention that food and other supplies were taken care of. I wrote the post as a Flash-o-holic would have written it. Food or Batteries... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any number of junky flashlights are worse than no flashlights at all. Of course, we know better than to have junky flashlights. We also know that price doesn't always reflect quality (true for more than just flashlights).

Paulr, I used to live in Hawaii, and there is plenty to eat without needing to depend on relief supplies.

Mango, papaya, guava, hawaiin bananas, passion fruit, pineapple, surf casting (fish), and other things, including edible mushrooms.

rodmeister

Enlightened
Junky flashlight have their uses, as last ditch spares and bartering. I always keep my old junky lights from my pre-LED, pre-Surefire days to loan to roommates, neighbors, relatives, etc. You might use the junky lights to trade for gas, food, water from neighbors caught without working flashlights.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
I'll try and ask the webmaster of that site about it the next time I see him (if I see him, rather). I'm pretty sure that he pulled that list from somewhere else, though.

I really have to work on my food supply for hurricane situations. We have a lot of canned goods, but I've wanted to stock up on some MREs. There's a lot of other stuff I need as well. I am decently stocked in the battery area and I have a pretty good supply of lights to fall back on. Unfortunately I am not allowed to own a firearm (by parental decree), so I'll have to depend on my sharp objects to defend myself and my stuff. Frankly, though, when it comes to hurricane season, I worry more about my roof blowing off than not having electricity. I definitely have to work on my survival kit and bug-out bag, though.

coolguy

Newly Enlightened
charles: where in hawaii did you used to live?

rodmeister: Agreed, I usually give all my junky flashlights to others as well. In fact, it's good to have those junky flashlights so that you don't have to get rid of any of your better flashlights.

zenghost: I totally AGREE with you regarding my roof blowing off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif That is quite possibly my biggest fear regarding any possible hurricane that may sweep through the island.

My girlfriends mom was interested in picking up some decent flashlights in case of any hurricane. She knows I'm a nut regarding flashlights so they are asking for my advice. Can you imagine anything more exciting... Giving flashlight advice to non-flashlight people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was thinking that they wouldn't be to inclined to purchase anything really expensive so my tactic was going to be to suggest:

-SL TT 3C for long run times, and occasional bright light when they need it

-A couple of infinities for long run time or for individual people in the family

-A few headlamp type led lights

I really don't think they'd get anything more than that... In fact i don't even think they'd buy all of that. 30 bucks for a flashlight is a bit much for most normal people to spend.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coolguy: Oahu (downtown Honolulu and various other parts), Maui, and parts of Kauai. Most of the time, it was out of a tent and backpack. On Maui, I had the fun of being tested by a real kahuna (they never say they are). It's a conversation that only Spiritual Initiates understand. Anyone else who happens to overhear it: Huh?? Say, What??!!??

I can't fly anywhere now, cause people with my income source can only afford to buy a oneway ticket, and that would mean instant arrest and being charged as a terrorist (as if they can't buy roundtrip), even though I am not such. Such is profiling these days.

Drjones

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
I can't fly anywhere now, cause people with my income source can only afford to buy a oneway ticket, and that would mean instant arrest and being charged as a terrorist (as if they can't buy roundtrip), even though I am not such. Such is profiling these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're a minority, especially of middle eastern decent. Then you don't have to worry about profiling.

Don't want to go about offending those who are most likely terrorists. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

But if you're an 80 year old grandmother with a pair of knitting needles, it's obvious you are trying to mastermind the next 9/11!!!

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened
Do my eyes deceive me, or does the checklist mentioned on the first page, and every post thereafter lack one very important word?

Duh... Hello!? KNIFE?

Sorry guys, but FLASHLIGHTS would be the second category on my own checklist, right after KNIVES. Of course, my knife list would include at least one respectable multi-tool, with a can opener, saw blade, pliers, screwdrivers, etc., right AFTER a nice Microtech knife and some sorta small, very sharp machete of reasonable heft.

Knives - Man's first and most important tools. No batteries required. I'd rather have a knife than a gun, though there are times that there is no substitute for a gun, there are more situations where a knife is needed and a gun is useless than vice versa.

Drjones

Enlightened
Xrayzebra:

You make some good points, and of course a fine blade is an absolute necessity. However, the purpose of this thread wasn't to list the contents of a complete survival kit, just the lights.

I would not be able to choose between a knife or gun if I had to.

Sure you'd probably get more "use" out of the blade, but if you don't have the gun, it would only take one time for you to need it for your time to be up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

rodmeister

Enlightened
I could argue: you can't use a knife if you can't see anything, but xrayzebra is right. I've got a Chris Reeve Aviator, a decorated small Sebenza, a large Redwood inlayed Sebenza, an Umfaan, a Scott Cook Owyhee Hunter, four Leathermans and an assortment of miscellaneous knives. I own about 18 guns and 15 flashlights so it's not an either/or choice for me.

Everyone should have a quality fixed blade and folding knives, and and a good multi-tool.

coolguy

Newly Enlightened
I unfortunately do not have any good fixed blades. All of my knives are comprised of foldables. A cold steel gunsite, Kershaw Blackout, Kershaw chive and onion. I usually find myself carrying the chive around because it's small and I usually need the knife for simple cutting tasks. I've seen some knives with little lights attached to them so you can see what you are cutting. It's a good idea but, it's usually a meteocre light attached to an even more meteocre knife. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif