Is this a true statement???

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will rechargeable flashlights retain a charge longer than cr123 lithium lights? I know my Stingers will run all the way to about 65 minutes before losing it's charge noticeably. Up till it reaches the 65 min benchmark the light seems as bright as if I just took it off the charger.

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Lithiums have flatter discharge characteristics, but NiMHs have larger capacity. The eye isn't very good at telling diminishing brightness anyway because it adjusts with the amount of light output.

RevDavid

Enlightened
Hmmmnnn.... that's interesting, because with digital cameras, it is very different. Lithium disposable batteries are outperforming NiMh in nearly all applications, while Lithium ion rechargeables outperform both (if we look only at the heavier duty models, not the ultra compact light weight models.)
It must have something to do with the level of peak draw in the digital cameras compared to the flashlights.
David <><

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it is true. A AA sized lithium (Not an L91) is 3.6V 2100mAh, and that similar to the capacity of an Li Ion battery, however neither lithium primarly cells or recharageables don't tolerate abuse very well at all. If you work it out, on a Surefire M6 with the 500 lumen lamp, the battery is pretty heavily abused, and it is dead before delivering half of the rated capacity.

By comparison, NiMh, NiCd, and Alkalines are nearly unbreakable.

There are some NiMh AA batteries that are 2100Mah, but that is about 1/3rd the voltage, so nowhere near the total energy. D size is about 16,500mah. Slightly higher capacity then a D size NiMh, but again, roughly 3 times the energy.

When measured as energey per unit weight, the Lithium cells win hand down. The D size 3.6V Lithium is about 3 ounces, and has amp hour capacity that is similar to a D sized Alkaline.

NiMh is at least twice that weight.

highlandsun

Enlightened
In the AA size, LiIon and NiMH are about equal in total energy. The best LiIon AA I've seen is 750mAh @3.6V, which would presumably equal an NiMH at 2250mAh @1.2V.

re: abuse - the LiIon cells I've used can handle continuous charge and discharge at 1.5C, which is pretty liberal I think.