• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

O-rings for Ti-PD

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
Recently managed to score one off the MP here but I think I might have nicked the o-ring a little when popping out the piston to have a look inside.

What size is the o-ring? And where can I get one in the same colour? - I don't think i would have noticed the nick if the o-ring had been black.

Nick

easilyled

Flashaholic
Recently managed to score one off the MP here but I think I might have nicked the o-ring a little when popping out the piston to have a look inside.

What size is the o-ring? And where can I get one in the same colour? - I don't think i would have noticed the nick if the o-ring had been black.

Nick

Have you thought of looking in the sticky thread entitled FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)?

I just did and found the following information very quickly:-

O-ring Sizes

XR-19 Head:
Window seal - #019 EPDM (or the GID silicone)
Head to pak seal - #017 Silicone (red)

C pak:
Boot Seal O-ring - #016 Silicone (red)
Boot & Seal Retaining O-ring - #113 EPDM

XR27 & S27 Head:
Window Seal O-ring - 2 x 22 mm Buna (Nitrile)
Window retaining O-ring - #025 EPDM
Head to pak Seal - #017 Silicone (red)

27LT & 27LT-S head:
Window Seal - #023 EPDM
2x head to Pak seal - #017 Silicone

PD Piston:
Piston to sleeve seal - #015 Silicone (use #016 for added protection but stiffer activation)

PD head:
Window Seal O-ring - #019 EPDM
Head to sleeve seal O-ring - #017 Silicone

Mule head:
Window seal O-ring - #017
Window retaining O-ring - #018

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
I guess I should have added more to my brief question.

I read the sticky - but was unsure if the PD's came with the #16 or #15 - as I would like to keep to the same one. And I was also curious as to where to get similar red ones, as I only ever recall seeing clear or black ones at my hardware store.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I guess I should have added more to my brief question.

I read the sticky - but was unsure if the PD's came with the #16 or #15 - as I would like to keep to the same one. And I was also curious as to where to get similar red ones, as I only ever recall seeing clear or black ones at my hardware store.

Looking at what it says, it implies to me that #015 is the default since its mentioned first. #016 is mentioned in brackets, which implies that its an option for those that want extra protection.

The red o-rings are made from silicon.

Here are a couple of links from googling "silicon o-ring #015"

http://greenerubber.thomasnet.com/viewitems/o-rings/silicone-o-ring
http://www.rubberstore.com/catalog/silicone-oring-as568-0070-0551-p-1150.html

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
Thanks - I've been trying to google just #15 red o-ring. Adding 'silicone' really cut down on the results.

In my searching it seems there are a few variations in o-ring material - is silicone the best choice?

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks - I've been trying to google just #15 red o-ring. Adding 'silicone' really cut down on the results.

In my searching it seems there are a few variations in o-ring material - is silicone the best choice?

McGizmo seemed to think so and I wouldn't argue with him.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to this thread I now know why my Mule is stiffer than usual, I used a #016, because I compared the sizes and they matched. Maybe the "old" one was not the first one, I got the light from a CPFer.

I asked Don once why he didn't add some o-rings to the lights when he ships them, he said that they normally don't break and he's right. You can get some from Don however, please contact him for details.

When I said that he's right, it doesn't apply to the o-ring of the piston though, mine was like cut and I guess it happens when you push the piston in the body (or tear it out) and turn it to make the process smoother, the thread probably cuts the o-ring. Furthermore, it may be more dangerous with a #016 than with a 015 as it's larger.

I wonder if Don is aware of this problem?

Barbarian

Enlightened
nick-nack,

If you live in the States, shoot me a PM or an EM and I'll set you up.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I asked Don once why he didn't add some o-rings to the lights when he ships them, he said that they normally don't break and he's right. You can get some from Don however, please contact him for details.

When I said that he's right, it doesn't apply to the o-ring of the piston though, mine was like cut and I guess it happens when you push the piston in the body (or tear it out) and turn it to make the process smoother, the thread probably cuts the o-ring. Furthermore, it may be more dangerous with a #016 than with a 015 as it's larger.

I wonder if Don is aware of this problem?

O-rings are a necessity for a proper seal and they can be a nuisance but for the most part, they just hang in there and do the job expected of them. I don't supply a spare set of O-rings with the lights because for the most of us, by the time we actually needed to replace one of the o-rings, we would not know where we put the spare set or we might have been keeping them in a safe place all that time and had the burden of keeping track of them all along. I consider supplying a set with each light as a waste of money, resources and time as well as an unnecessary and added "responsibility" for both me and the user. :shrug:

The piston O-ring is more vulnerable than the others and can be damaged when the piston is installed or removed. Care must be taken and one can be reasonably successful, IMHO and in my personal experience. Yes, I have sheared and cut a piston O-ring, a few times but not many.

I have purchased O-rings from oringsusa as linked above and I presently buy from Air-Oil and get my metric O-rings from Allied Metrics.

Time for all of us is finite and limited and I for one value my time even if no one else does. Call me selfish. :nana: I won't turn my back on someone in need of an O-ring for one of my lights but on the other hand, to state that I welcome requests for O-rings or present myself as an O-ring supplier would be simply untrue. :duck:

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
Barbarian- really appreciate the offer but I'm all the way down here in Australia. Don't think it will be all to cheap to send it here.

Went by the hardware store today and they didn't have any, neither did the small plumbing place next door. Any other places that might have them - don't really want to order online for just a few o-rings. But it looks like I might need to.

The odd thing was I only needed to pop the piston out as I had jumped into the pool with it in my pocket. And when I went to use it a few mins after, it would only turn on to high. Opened it up and there was a few droplets of water in it. I was very scared - only had it for about 48hrs. But it dried up fine and is perfectly functional now. I think the #016 o-ring should fix that.

Light11

Flashlight Enthusiast
Barbarian- really appreciate the offer but I'm all the way down here in Australia. Don't think it will be all to cheap to send it here.

Went by the hardware store today and they didn't have any, neither did the small plumbing place next door. Any other places that might have them - don't really want to order online for just a few o-rings. But it looks like I might need to.

The odd thing was I only needed to pop the piston out as I had jumped into the pool with it in my pocket. And when I went to use it a few mins after, it would only turn on to high. Opened it up and there was a few droplets of water in it. I was very scared - only had it for about 48hrs. But it dried up fine and is perfectly functional now. I think the #016 o-ring should fix that.

nick-nack,I can help you!
PM sent.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time for all of us is finite and limited and I for one value my time even if no one else does. Call me selfish. :nana: I won't turn my back on someone in need of an O-ring for one of my lights but on the other hand, to state that I welcome requests for O-rings or present myself as an O-ring supplier would be simply untrue. :duck:

If time is money, I always opt for the time. Unfortunately, I have to offer 40 hours per week of my time for money, otherwise living would be close to impossible. The surplus of money is exchanged into flashlights...

You're clearly not selfish, we CPFers also would tell you to not waste time on an o-ring supplying service, but to invest it in inventing new lights. :p

I got the two sets of o-rings from Rocket Tomatoe, they come all well packed in individual and labeled bags. I got them, put them away, now and them I am glad I have them because I need an o-ring and at least for custom lights I normally find what I'm looking for.

Yesterday I changed the #016 on my Mule piston for a #015 and now it is much easier (and not so dangerous for the o-ring) to get the piston in, piston-action is much smoother. I don't need aded protection, my lights are unlikely to see any water... :rolleyes:

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
I'm honestly overwhelmed by the number of helping guys here on CPF. I'm quite a bit more active on the other forums but never have I experienced first-hand such generosity.
But so you guys know I do live down here in Australia.
My next place to have a look locally is hobby shops. If not, I might need to take one of you guys up on your offer.

And just to clarify as well - the other o-ring that joins the head of the light to the body is a 17. Right?

Light11 for those of you who don't know - is the very kind CPF member who contacted me after seeing my WTB post, and sold me his Ti PD. Great to see he is still determined to ensure I am happy with my purchase, even after the transaction had been completed.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm honestly overwhelmed by the number of helping guys here on CPF. I'm quite a bit more active on the other forums but never have I experienced first-hand such generosity.
But so you guys know I do live down here in Australia.
Posting to Australia is no problem...may great CPF members in Australia!! If you can't find any locally, just PM your address to me and I'll drop a small supply into the mail. :twothumbs And I agree with you - the membership on this forum is made up of a great group of people...it's one of the reasons the forum continues to grow and thrive!

My next place to have a look locally is hobby shops. If not, I might need to take one of you guys up on your offer.

And just to clarify as well - the other o-ring that joins the head of the light to the body is a 17. Right?

That is correct - if you look at this post, you can get a quick summary. There is a more comprehensive listing HERE (scroll down the first post for the info.)

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
Well I finally found a place locally to get some. After being sent from place to place, one place had them.

They have a large range of sizes and even Krytox lubricant - in liter bottles!

But I still really appreciate all the offers from such awesome members here.