Introduction, first post and questions (E1e/KL4)

alee

Newly Enlightened
Hi all... it started so innocently. After the NYC blackout, a friend sent me a link to Tactical Warehouse. Sure enough, I had some free time today, and I end up shopping for an E1e, get sucked into the E1e + KL1 combo. Great way to start... until I started looking for more reviews on the E1e, discover this forum and wouldn't you know it, I read about the infamous TW4 (E1e + KL4 + Z57 tail), and another online transaction later, I'm substantially poorer(who needs to eat dinner?). I now have 2 E1e bodies, 1 with a KL1 head and one with a KL4 on order from TW.

Considering this morning, I still thought Mag-Lites were the choice of champions, I've come a long way in 24 hrs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I should know better than to find online forums for enthusiasts. Last time I did this with other "hobbies", I ended up with a huge home theater and a BMW. (I have a problem) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now anyway, here is my first question for this board:
My current flashlight is a 2-D cell Mag-Lite. Has anyone done any run-down tests of a 2D Mag-Lite, or have any comments on whether the total run-times would be similar on the E1e+KL4 or E1e+KL1? I've seen various runtime stats on the E1e with KL1/KL4 but coming from traditional flashlights, the LED light runtimes are meaningless to me.

Thanks all!

-Al

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
alee,
The TW4 is a nice way to start out. Nothing like starting out at the top. When you get bored with the stock KL1, you can have it worked on to make it brighter and with alot more throw.

alee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys

Thanks guys! For good measure, I just ordered an Arc LSH-P as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can someone shed some opinion on this... from what I understand based off my research on this board:

On the perceived brightness scale, the order is (least to greatest): E1e+KL1, LSH-P, and the Ele+KL4 (TW4)

On the rundown scale, the order seems to be (shortest to longest): E1e+KL4 (TW4), E1e+KL1, LSH-P

I know there are slight variances and in many cases the lights are very close -- but am I pretty much making pretty decent assumptions?

Thursday will be a big day for me... 3 new LED flashlights, never having used LEDs before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Thanks guys

You don't mess around do you? That's a great start (of the giant sucking sound pulling your money out of your wallet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

As far as the Mag 2D run time, you'll have to define run time because the output of the mag decreases significantly the moment you turn it on. Roy's done runtimes of various lights, he may have it. Beyond that, I really don't like Mag for various reasons.

Arc LSH-P? You will not regret it! The LSH-P is the most pocketable light IMO. To me it combines the perfect combination of size, brightness and utility in one nice package. I have many high performance lights including the latest and greatest LED's from Surefire but take a guess which is the one I don't leave home without.

I'd have to agree with your conclusions also. May I take the liberty to make a suggestion? Get an E2e body for the KL4, or better yet, get an L4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you want to own many lights, this is the place to be. If you want to be broke, this is also the place to be. Welcome to CPF alee. This is the beginning of a journey into the poor house, a happy journey nonetheless.

Cheers,

CM

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

yup, that's about right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just re-read your post. Forget about the going broke part. You could buy a lot of flashlights for the price of one bimmer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

alee

Newly Enlightened

I have xenons on the bimmer... that's really where the sickness started. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif