I'm getting an 8ax Commander

Cascade Range

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to get a Commander with Rechargeable batteries. A little more lenghth in hand for my 50 minute walks should be just great. I see they come with 2 batteries and I think I'll pick up a third, they aren't all that much really.
I really love the Surefire brand, they look great, and I can wet my feet and get into playing with as how do you guys put it...? Guilt free lumens? :)

Oh, oh I think I misplaced this thread, it should have gone into the Incandescent lights? Sorry mod's can you move? Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
Get the TH for it. I got the TH for one of my 9AN commanders and it really reaches out there.

standard.jpg

Cascade Range

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! :) That is a sharp looking light.

I was wondering how long usually the bulbs last in incadescent lights? Is there any hour figures? I'm going to be using this light an hour per day, so I'd be interested in knowing what kind of life I could expect from it?

Thanks.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was wondering how long usually the bulbs last in incadescent lights? Is there any hour figures? I'm going to be using this light an hour per day, so I'd be interested in knowing what kind of life I could expect from it?

Thanks.

They are rated at around 30 hours, but don't be surprised if it lasts longer =D

Cascade Range

Newly Enlightened
30 hours, seriously? I'll be using this light an hour a day! In a month or two I might have to buy another?
Maybe this isn't the light for me. I'll be taking this one out nightly on walks each lasting no more than an
hour but this light will be on until it pretty much quits. I'll put 30 hours on it per month for sure. Thank for
all your info guys. :)

Last edited:

Hfili

Newly Enlightened
It was the high cost of replacement bulbs that led me to search for an led drop in for the 8AN. Unable to find anything without having to custom build it, my search led me to the Fenix TK30. I got a charger and four li-ion 18650's and I haven't regretted it once. I did and still do love my 8AN and yes, I had the turbo head for it (highly recommend it)

I should probably get rid of it but I am holding out that I will someday stumble upon a led drop in for it and resurrect the old workhorse. You will be happy with your light and for the record, I got waaaay more than 30-35 hours out of my bulbs.

Cascade Range

Newly Enlightened
I guess this is something to consider as I had not given it much thought. I appreciate your advice and experience. Like I said this light was suppose to be given alot of use and perhaps I should just investigate some rechargeables for my current light.

Brigadier

Enlightened
The LA's are rated @ 30 hours, and I believe it is closer to a minimum rating. In my experience, they last alot longer. And how you use your light will help determine bulb life. Lots of on-off quick 'flashing' will shorten the life, a constant burn of 10-15 minutes+ will make them last longer. If you turn it on and leave it on for a complete battery cycle, that should be even better as far as bulb life goes, IIRC. But that light will be warm.....

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are rated at around 30 hours, but don't be surprised if it lasts longer =D
30 hours is average bulb life when run at spec.
Stock 8AX may run at spec for few minutes out of entire run time then battery voltage drops and bulb underdrives.
Obviously, underdriven bulb lasts longer than spec.

The LA's are rated @ 30 hours, and I believe it is closer to a minimum rating.
No,
In most cases, bulb life is measured in average hours and if bulb life is more than what is rated for, it's because of underdriven rerate life.
If you use the flashlight only 5 minutes right after recharge ALL THE TIME, bulb life will be even less that spec.

Cascade Range

Newly Enlightened
Well thanks again for all your comments. It should be interesting as I purchased one. I will see how long mine lasts. Like I mentioned it will be used for the duration of the battery each time it gets used so will keep you all in the loop and let you know how I fare. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
8AX is a fine light. But I wouldn't bother with any of SureFire's inca. rechargeable models unless you can get one at a good discount. Always wanted to try out a 9AN Commander. But didn't bother until I stumbled onto one for sale at the MarketPlace. Can't recall how much I paid for it with a bunch of accessories tossed in. But I do know I got it at a huge discount off retail. (Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.)

The SF rechargeable inca. models are good lights. But be sure to get one at a good discount too.

Cascade Range

Newly Enlightened
Monocrom, thanks for the info on the Sf rechargeables. There is no such thing up here as a discount on any SF light unfortunately. Anyhow, it's built like a tank and batt prices aren't all that much so for it's first night out it did well and died after about 44 minutes just about like it said it would. :)

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks.

I have some Surefire lamps with well over a hundred hours on them and no bulb blackening.

Xenon-halogen bulbs have the best, longest life when run continuously.