Inretech 20 LED adapter

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have one with some info on brightness, runtime, etc., and maybe some comparisons to other common lights? I have a mag 3D I'm itchin' to upgrade to a bright, led light and would like something more powerful than an Everled (to compensate for the 3D size). How about the Trilight or Super6? I'm assuming none of these lights are regulated.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think 20 LEDs would be brighter than an Everled. I have a Tektite19 led with three cs and it is not brighter than an Everled on three Cs. however, YMMV.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Trilight would be fairly bright. I have a Super6, and I like it quite a bit. I've not seen the Trilight in the flesh, though.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
The InReTECH 20x LED adapter is mainly designed for special purposes such as IR (MC850) and Near-UV (MC395/MC375), we can offer it using normal 5mm LEDs (KingBright/YolDal), but that would only be approx 200cd

We built up a 20x LED adapter using 5 different colors of blinking LEDs - had it in the booth, just to attract attention - and some lady "had to have it" - so we sold it to her !

The Super6 is a very nice adapter for the 3D, it puts out VERY wide "flood" of light, but for normal applications - I highly suggest the TriLight, it uses 3x1w Luxeons, and puts out a LOT of light

Here are some outside reviews of the products:

http://www.inretech.com/reviews.htm

Brody

Newly Enlightened
I really like my Trilight that is in a 4D light. I loaned it to Craig for a week, and it was marginally brighter than his L4! It isn't as bright as my Blaster VI, but it is more bright than I need most of the time, since I normally don't need exceptional throw, but close or medium range it is great!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the info and opinions! Alot to think over; the Trilight is 90, as is EL's Tristar, but EL includes a new 3D light as well for the price. Otherwise, they seem to be the same light, do they not? Both run on 3D, and both seem like they'd hugely benefit from running on NiMH for the greater brightness and level output of current. The Tristar also has fraen optics; does the Trilight? It doesn't seem to?

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: Are those 3 Fraen single-LED optics, or the same tri-lens one piece Elektro is using?

Cool! That would just make my day.

Are they the default now? I just ordered one, and would love it if you'd send the new optics with it. Only option I saw was a UCL for $7 which I took.

The funding for the order came from pet-sitting for the mother of a high school bud of mine (who's now in Cali). She's nuts about flashlights too, which floored me when I found out. She just doesn't seem "the type". Surprised me even more when she showed me her latest purchases, a pair of Surefire L1s. She's not a big spender, and she's a nature-loving vegetarian type. A Surefire was the last light I thought she'd buy.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my Tri-Light and, err... it came with, AFAICT, three NX05s. Definitely not the Fraen tri-lens. I'd sure like to have the tri-lens...any way you could get that to me?

That said, it's nice and bright and gave me a pleasant surprise in that while it draws 500-600mA from new 3xD alkalines, it draws slightly MORE from 3xD 4500mAh NiMH cells! 800mA or so. So, I guess I will run it in a 3 cell Mag, not a 4, as the drain on 4xNiMH D blipped to 1.9A, just long enough to read it on the ammeter. 800mA is short of the 1.2A max. spec. but it gets plenty warm at that drive level. I don't know why this would be, but the Blaster IV seems to be able to dissipate the heat much better (600mA, at 2x voltage, no Resistors, runs barely warm).

In any case, it's bright, it runs off NiMHs, and I went and bought some more Radio Shack NIMHs so I'd have two sets of 3, albeit 4 cells are date coded 7 months before the two I bought. Two of the luxeons are greener than I like, but not too bad.

Oh, one problem I'd like some advice on... how do you install a Tri-Light without causing lots of circular scratches in the Mag lens? It's not bad now, but if I were to swap the adapter between lights it would get bad.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are working on getting more Fraen Lenses, they are just starting distribution - our first "batch" was just samples

As soon as we get our production run from them, we will offer a selection on the webpage

Unfort, as you screw down the cover cap on the TriLight, it does move the lenses againest the plastic lens, and this can scratch it if you do it a lot - I suggest getting the UCL adapter

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm...email sent Re: the Fraen optics.

I did get the UCL, just haven't installed it yet. Good to know it'll fix that little issue.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I'm surprised at how underdriven the TriLight is. 200 - 267 mA?
I would like to see the luxeons driven at 500 - 600 mA, myself.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Fraen optics (thanks Inretech) and now have what I think is a better beam than the Tri-lens on the EL TriStar, as in I don't see 3 separate spots unless it's closer than a foot to the wall. So, yeah, it's not the tri-lens, but more's my gain, apparently.

I'm still confused on the 4-cell light idea, though. Is it resistored different for that, or are people running circa 2 amps through the thing?

Also, I find myself trying to "get used to" some green luxeons. Not awful green, but definitely urine-tinted. I'll see. Inretech will probably let me swap it, but I'll give it another few days. It's sure a lot of fun. About as bright at 800mA as the Blaster IV at 350mA, which is what I get sometimes with my 3-to-Ds and NiMHs (350-500mA). With the one holder I glued on the bottom of, that bottom ain't coming off, so I can't mod it even if I wanted to risk lots of melted grey plastic.

---
20 LED adapter question:

Can that be custom-made with Red LEDs and work with a 2D Mag? What would that cost? Also, why Kingbright and Yoldol, neither of which I've heard of, rather than Nichia?