Yet another collection...Nixie tubes this time!

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should have known better shouldn't I...

Found a couple of pages on building clocks using a Nixie tube display, and decided that they looked interesting things. So spent $3 on one...and instantly decided "these things are cool..." and bought another three to match (Hivac XN11), and build the clock with...and have another 17 on the way...what I'm going to do with them as yet I ain't sure...but I'll think of something.

Between flashlights, old computers/calculators and LEDs, and now Nixies....I need a bigger room.

Only question I have is WHAT NEXT??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

LoneRebel

Enlightened
Lawn Gnomes...YES..Your next collection is going to be Lawn Gnomes.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have a Commodore CBM 8032 computer on the way...that'll go with my Commodore SX-64, my C-64, my C-128, all those damn insulators, and all those damn flashlights and flashlight accessories. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
There isn't a lot of room for me or my furniture anymore.

Guess I need to start collecting stuff I can wear, because there isn't a lot of room for me or my furniture anymore.

Nixie tubes... they explode (implode) if you drop them, so I guess I'd better not start collecting them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Yet another collection...Nixie tubes this time

Nixie tubes. I haven't seen any since the 60s. We used frequency counters that used the nixies as display digits. I remember sitting with another worker during lunch hours and gambling, using the counters. We would look only at the far right nixie tube and let the counter count the period of a randomized signal. Voila! We has a random digit. Kind-of a mini lottery.

Paul

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

One of my primary bench voltmeters uses Nixies:

dana3800.jpg

And I`ve got another one (Simpson 2700) which worked briefly but now just shows 0000, and it`s probably full of nice obsolete ICs I can`t get any more. Never mind.

At work there is a hand made prototype of what could have been a commercial Nixie clock, if it hadn`t been for those durn LED and VFD displays that were just coming on to the market. Produced for the Synchronome company in the 60s. Apparently it`s predominantly mechanical inside, using a Crouzet synchronous motor to advance the digits one by one. I`ve been meaning to bring it home for ages but keep forgetting. Nice big tubes too.

And somewhere in the drawers here are 6 top-viewing tubes just waiting for an interesting project.

I do have a soft spot for the Nixie tubes....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I have a Hewlett Packard bench type voltmeter that uses Nixie tubes for its display. Four numeric tubes, and one that displays (+) and (-). It's a fine instrument, but I don't use it very often because if something goes bad inside, I probably wouldn't be able to fix it.

I too have a soft spot for Nixie tubes... they have such a warm, welcoming glow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah the warm glow of a Nixie tube!

Reminds me of an old saying "Real Radios Glow in the Dark"

When I was a kid my parents would visit a freind of my Dad's. This gentleman had a ham shack in his garage. He would fire eveything up and the area would have that same glow.

Now all of my radios glow too, glow from the digital displays, lol!

GregR / KC6ZWO

Floating Spots

Enlightened

I have the info on building a nixie clock with 4" high tubes.
I haven't broken down yet and bought it, but it would be neat.

Its a kit.
GPS receiver feeds direct drive nixie ICs.
So, it keeps good time and looks good.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I just love the look of Nixies. On the topic of "obsolete" display tech, how about this? (Still in use! That's the TV desk in my room!
sonyclock.jpg

Come to that, anyone got any idea of a production date for this thing? I bought it for £5 (US $7 ish) a couple of years ago, has kept perfect time ever since! It ain't Nixie based, but is interesting in its own way, and does have that nice neon glow as there's a neon bulb lighting the display.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Back in the mid-1970s, I had a clock radio with that kind of display, and a neon lamp somewhere in there illuminated the digits with an orange color at night. I can't remember what brand it was...maybe GE, Lloyds, or Emerson.

I'm guessing that Sony is of early- to mid-1970s manufacture.

If you listen very closely, you can hear the digits "flip" once a minute.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, clicks once every 30 seconds as well. Syncro motor's a bit noisy now, but after that long who can blame it. The little green thing next to the numeric display spins, and has a spiral pattern on it, forgot to mention that as well. The radio display used to be lit with a tiny incandescent bulb, but that died long ago, been meaning to replace it with an LED for AGES...never got around to it though...yet.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

So, nixies are simply very small neon-filled tubes bent in the shape of numerals?

Brightnorm

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Essentially, yes. Though they have to be run from DC. Nixies normally have a common anode, and shaped cathodes. Get the polarity wrong, and the effect is wierd to say the least, doubt it does much for the tube either.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Brightnorm: Nixies are neon tubes that have a common cathode (usually grid-shaped), and anode electrodes shaped like numerals; each electrode connected with a pin at the bottom of the tube. When powered from DC, the cathode electrode doesn't glow at all, but the anode you have power (around +180 volts if I remember right) going to does.
(Edit) Or maybe it's a common anode and numeral-shaped cathodes like Zelandeth says.

Zelandeth: I can't remember if my clock radio had a light in the radio dial or not. I don't think it did. A purple, blue, or white LED in there would have been cool though. Too bad we didn't have purple, blue, or white LEDs in the 1970s or I might have put one in there. If you put an LED in yours, you'll have to show us a picture of your clock radio in the dark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Oh, and mine didn't have a rotating or spinning thing in it like yours does.

star882

Enlightened

"Nixies are neon tubes that have a common cathode (usually grid-shaped), and anode electrodes shaped like numerals; each electrode connected with a pin at the bottom of the tube. When powered from DC, the cathode electrode doesn't glow at all, but the anode you have power (around +180 volts if I remember right) going to does.
(Edit) Or maybe it's a common anode and numeral-shaped cathodes like Zelandeth says."
The red nixies usually have a common anode, the cyan nixies usually have a common cathode.
I have a DMM made in 12/2/1981 with red nixie tubes.
I also have a cyan nixie tube lying around.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I've never seen or heard of a CYAN nixie tube before. That's new to me... kind of like finding an antique LED I've never seen before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wonder what kind of gas is in there...

Brightnorm: You're more than welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

star882

Enlightened

"I've never seen or heard of a CYAN nixie tube before. That's new to me... kind of like finding an antique LED I've never seen before."
Here's a picture of a computer with a cyan nixie tube(the little oscilloscope-like display).
010903-cyan%20nixie%20tube.jpg

"Wonder what kind of gas is in there... "
I don't know what gas is inside, but I think it uses some gasses(neon and xenon?) that emit UV, then phosphors convert this to visible light.