Another ARC LS second question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

Newly Enlightened
Hi again guys. I posted yesterday that I had decided to order an ARC LS. I had my heart set on an ARC LSH-P. Earlier today I had a financial setback that has made it impossible for me to afford this light. I won't be able to afford the ARC LSH-P for a while but still want one. Here is my question, should I chance it and order an LS second from ARC? What are the odds of getting either an LSL or LSH? I have no idea what a first run, LS1, LS2 or hybrid is, I'm not sure I want one if it's lesser than an LSL or LSH. I've been reading all (I mean ALL) the past posts regarding LS seconds and I guess I'm just looking for more reassurance about ordering a second. Thanks guys, this is my favourite forum by far.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two seconds, for the life of me I can't see why they are seconds and I am extremely happy with both of them. I'm not going to tell you what I got because it doesn't really matter since you can't choose a model when getting a second. Remember also that you do not get the 10 year warantee. However, it is my firm belief that you will be very happy with any of the models you might eventually get. After you have saved up a little, you can then get the model of your choice.

Besides, if you really just don't like the second, someone would probably buy it from you for what you paid for it.

mike

paulr

Flashaholic
I bought two of the seconds and both of them were labelled LSL-P, though I'm sure they didn't actually have premium selected LED's (that would be silly of Arc). One of them had a noticible (if you were looking) rough spot in the HA finish near the back of the head, and a slight blue cast to the LED. The other had no serious finish blems (maybe a minor color mismatch between the head and TSP, but even firsts have that) but a fairly noticable purple cast to the LED. I don't think any of these defects were serious and the seconds represented good value. However, Arc is now selling the LSL-S at a pretty low price (maybe closeout since most people prefer the LSH). In my opinion the price difference between the LSL-S and LSH-P is now so large that the LSH-P is hard to justify unless you want to have the top of the line no matter what it costs (a perfectly fine approach).

E

EchoSierraTwo

THAT'S IT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif THAT'S ALL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I am going to order a second to add to the collection. I am more that happy with my LSH-P but I would be a jerk if I did not take advantage of this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

bigred

Newly Enlightened
Good thinking paulr. Does anyone know if these sale prices are only available on the ARC website? In other words, will another retailer sell me an ARC LSL-S at the sale price?

E

EchoSierraTwo

Bigred, are you saying that other sites may sell you a second advertised as a first?

bigred

Newly Enlightened
Furious Tiger, I'm asking if other ARC retailers are selling ARC LSL and ARC LSL-P lights at the discounted price. Or do you have to order directly from ARC to get the sale price?

E

EchoSierraTwo

[ QUOTE ]
bigred said:
Furious Tiger, I'm asking if other ARC retailers are selling ARC LSL and ARC LSL-P lights at the discounted price. Or do you have to order directly from ARC to get the sale price?

[/ QUOTE ]Got it

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bigred,

If you have your heart set on an LSH-P, then wait until you
can afford it or dislodge your heart a bit to accomodate the
LSL-S and then buy the LS4 when it comes out! But don't bet
on getting an LSH-P second. From what I've read the chances
are about 1 in 4 or harder that you will get an LSH-P.

rickdm

Newly Enlightened
How lucky do you feel? The two LSL-S's that I bought for $65 each are clearly superior to the $50 LS1 second that I bought at the same time, and worth more to me than the $15 price difference. YMMV

Rick

Mim

Newly Enlightened
Don't knock the lsl. The lsl has a very nice and even beam (if not totally white). I don't think the color difference between the lsl and lsh has to do with the led as much as the optics concentrating the lsh beam more. At super close range the lsl beam is white. I find a flood at short range more valuable than a spot. I only need a spot for longer than 20 foot range. For throw I prefer a 2 123 light.

StuU

Enlightened
I second the positive assessment of the LSL. I find that a more dispersed flood is the best choice for most practical tasks. We live on a *very dark* rural place and the LSL is perfect for mechanical issues or finding things in dark conditions. It also has a pretty good throw....I can light up deer eyes from 50-60+ yards away. It's got enought throw for security work when I find myself doing an outside night-time check and want to illuminate the outbuildings. Or to check for a roof leak, mechanical problem etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.