Spiderfire host

ateallthepies

Enlightened
Hello all,

I received today a Spiderfire X-03 host with an extender that I will run a LF IMR-9 lamp with 2X18650 IMR's.

Well I wasn't expecting much with these cheap Hong Kong sourced items but the quality was pants to be honest:(

First the bezel is held on by half a thread and can be pulled off with some effort. Then the glass rattles and an extra O ring won't allow the bezel to screw on at all.
The threads are very rough with nice sharp edges to cut yourself on.
The worst thing is the extender tube is too long by about 10mm and will not make contact using 2X18650's:shakehead

So I had to get my super glue out, my box of springs and sand paper and Nyogel and do some alterations.

I have the thing now working as it should :party:and running a LF E0-9 while I await arrival of an IMR-9.

No real moral to this short tale just a heads up really!

I hear mentioned a lot the Solarforce L2 hosts, are these any better than my Spiderfire?

ATB,

Steve.

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear mentioned a lot the Solarforce L2 hosts, are these any better than my Spiderfire?
The Solarforce L2 hosts are better qulity than the Spiderfire X-03 hosts.

I had some Spiderfire X-03 hosts at one time and they were actually not bad, but not quite as good as the Solarforce hosts.

The ones I had were certainly better than the one you received.

jaundice

Enlightened
Steve;

Bummer. It always the risk you take when buying something like this from DX or KD. I always check for reviews before buying to make sure I don't end up with junk.

I'm glad you had the skills and parts to get it running. Sometimes, that's part of the fun of this hobby.

Well I wasn't expecting much with these cheap Hong Kong sourced items but the quality was pants to be honest:(

Not to hijack the thread, but I really enjoyed the slang in the quote above. I'm from a different part of the world, and although I could figure it out from context, I'm wondering what exactly "was pants" means?

Thanks,

-John

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to hijack the thread, but I really enjoyed the slang in the quote above. I'm from a different part of the world, and although I could figure it out from context, I'm wondering what exactly "was pants" means?
Seems to be a British term for rubbish.

ateallthepies

Enlightened
Yep, rubbish is what I meant:)

Got the glass to stop rattling with a blob or two of glue and the same with the bezel.

In the tail switch was a solid brass rod that was sprung from within. I just fitted another spring tightly over this rod to gain a bit more length and epoxied it in place.

Works fine now.

The LF E0-9 gives a very nice beam with a circular pattern unlike my SF P90's strange oval one. Can't wait for the IMR-9 to arrive!

ATB,

Steve

ateallthepies

Enlightened
Arent spiderfire made in china?
theres no FACTORY in hongkong to produce hosts

I bought it from an ebay seller in HK. Emailed them the problems and they said they would refund or replace.
Won't bother sending such a cheapo light back as it is too much hassle. Plus it works fine now.

Steve.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought it from an ebay seller in HK. Emailed them the problems and they said they would refund or replace.
Won't bother sending such a cheapo light back as it is too much hassle. Plus it works fine now.

Steve.
Should i blame the toy seller in western country for selling toxic baby toys?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll be happier in the end to buy a SolarForce host and throw the Spiderfire away.