Imalent
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maglite XL50 LED Flashlight Review

Default Maglite XL50 LED Flashlight Review

LED-Resource has posted our review of the Maglite XL50 LED Flashlight! Click here to read our review.

Key Specifications
    • Brightness: 104 lumens high, 26 lumens low, 104 lumens strobe
    • Runtime: 8h 45m high, 36h low
    • Battery: 3 x AAA
    • Length: 4.8″
    • Diameter: 1″
    • Weight with Batteries: 3.68 oz.
    • Warranty: Limited Lifetime
    • MSRP: $29.99
    Last edited by Robin24k; 12-15-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Default Re: Maglite XL50 LED Flashlight Review

Post reserved for updates to the review.
    Last edited by Robin24k; 10-15-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Great review, thanks !!!

wow, i had no idea they came out with xl50.

looks to me like basicly xl100 minus motion control, and $20 or so less.

Great review

When the light is already on (high), how do you switch to low? 2 clicks, or that only works when the light is off?

Flashaholic*

Very interesting. I was wondering if the light pre-flashes going to low since you have to double-click the button? Is there a delay turning the light on high?

Why oh why do they insist on using the 3AAA format?! If I wanted a light that used 3AAA batteries (which i do not!), there are so many cheap chinese lights designed with that form factor that it would probably be impossible to list them all. This light would have been much better had it been designed to use either 1 or 2 AA batteries instead.

Another swing, another miss!
    There's no reward for failure..........but death!

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    wow, i had no idea they came out with xl50.
    Consider this a sneak preview...it should be in stores soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jaws revenge View Post
    Great review

When the light is already on (high), how do you switch to low? 2 clicks, or that only works when the light is off?
    You need to turn it off, consecutive button pushes are only recognized when you first turn it on.

Quote Originally Posted by PCC View Post
    Very interesting. I was wondering if the light pre-flashes going to low since you have to double-click the button? Is there a delay turning the light on high?
    Yes, there would be a pre-flash because high is briefly engaged. There is no delay with high, one press and it is 100% (unlike the XL100, where there is a short fade-in effect).

Still no lanyard attachment.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

Great review, looks promising, but...

I'm still waiting for the ML100.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Why oh why do they insist on using the 3AAA format?! If I wanted a light that used 3AAA batteries (which i do not!), there are so many cheap chinese lights designed with that form factor that it would probably be impossible to list them all. This light would have been much better had it been designed to use either 1 or 2 AA batteries instead.

Another swing, another miss!
    Hmmm....with all the amazing brain power and creativity on CPF, someone, somewhere could come up with a battery adapter to fit an 18650. Is the problem with the 3AAA format just because so many cheap and poorly made lights have that format as a power source? I passed on the XL100, but I just might get a XL50 in some other color besides black.
    Be a Light In the Universe

Flashaholic

Sounds ok to me. I swore never to return to the 3-AAA format long ago, but the Xl100 drew me back in. Just get a brick of 12.

I thought that the XL100 was overpriced and the motion control was great only when you could see the mode you were trying to activate.

26 lumens is a tad high for my tastes as a low on the '50.

Hmm may have to try one of these when they come out here.

The focusing on the 100 (same here I'm guessing' didn't impress me. It's either perfect beam or donut hole (same as all mags I suppose). I just think that focusing is overrated.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by T45 View Post
    Hmmm....with all the amazing brain power and creativity on CPF, someone, somewhere could come up with a battery adapter to fit an 18650.
    If only it were that easy. The problem is that the battery holder carries both positive and negative to both the tail cap and to the LED. The body of the light only serves to protect the innards from harm and carries no electrical signal at all.

Not to forget that the 18650 is much too large to fit. You need to use a 14500 or 17500.

Quote Originally Posted by Retinator View Post
    The focusing on the 100 (same here I'm guessing' didn't impress me. It's either perfect beam or donut hole (same as all mags I suppose). I just think that focusing is overrated.
    I wouldn't say I use the focusing feature too often, but it is nice to have. A quarter turn is about all you need, and there won't be a donut hole if you don't turn too much. However, the key advantage is that it allows you to remove the head for complete flood, which I do occasionally use.

Not keen on the 3xAAA aspect, but it does use a Rebel LED, so I might give this one a shot whenever it hits the stores here.

Is the problem with the 3AAA format just because so many cheap and poorly made lights have that format as a power source?

Not at all. I'm not a big fan of AAA powered lights anyway, but those that use 3 just seem stupid to me as most AAA batteries are sold in multiples of 4. Having to buy 3 packs of 4 AAAs so as not to have any "left over" is ridiculous.

An adapter, like you said, would make this light ever so much more useful.
    There's no reward for failure..........but death!

Is the problem with the 3AAA format just because so many cheap and poorly made lights have that format as a power source?
    Those direct drive lights are only an emotional reason.
    On the rational side you get about 3,6V*800mAh=2,88Wh from a set of such rechargeables. A single 2400mAh AA does the same in a smaller, more convenient and somewhat cheaper package.

Flashaholic*

Hmmm, no accelerometer. It's a relatively complex UI, but curiosity was a large part of why I bought an XL100. This one will probably sell better, though.
    MD3 | M6CB | Gladius/SSCP4 | A2-HA-WH | A2-HA-YG | A2-BK-WH | Z3/KT2 | M2 | C2 | 6Z | 6P | U2A | K2MS | E2e/KL4 BK | E2DL | E2D | E2L | L2 | Milky ML1/SSCP4 USWOH McR18j | L1-BK-RD | L1-HA-WH | L1-HA-WH Cree | L1-HA-RD | 3P | E1B | E1L | E1E-HA-BK | E1W | 618FA | G2

Flashaholic*

Clicking through modes is just not my thing, so I think I'd prefer the XL100.

Never heard of the ML100, sounds interesting.

So since the 3AAA battery carrier completes the circuit path on the XL50, I guess a 18500 battery is out as an option?

I have a huge pile of AAA alkaline batteries and about 5 NiMh AAA's going unused, so I might just have to pick another 3AAA light up one of these days.
    ampdude

You don't really have to click through modes, to get low, you just click the button twice, and after that, the next click turns the light off. I don't think I was clear enough about turning off the light in my review...will have to update that.

You might be able to use a Li-Ion if you can make your own carrier that feeds + to the tailcap and feeds - from the tailcap to the retaining ring around the LED module. It will probably require some machining skills though.

Does the XL-50 tail switch provide a momentary feature when partially depressed? If so, does the momentary action turn on the light at the brightest level?

Thanks.
    Retired engineer, author. Running Linux.

No, it's an electronic switch, so it's physically impossible to partially depress it.

Flashaholic*

What happens if you click and hold the switch?

Nothing, it stays on, and still stays on when you release it.

Like others have said, not very thrilled about the 3 aaa aspect, but there are some upsides for me:

-The light is rated for 8+ hours on high, not bad from 3 aaa. Me personally I wouldn't be changing batteries often.

-In a emergency event, AA and D batteries are hard to find. Happened to us here a few years ago, big weather event, power outages, iced over roads. AAA and C cells were still available.

-My work provides all the free batteries I can use if I am using this light at work.

I really prefer buying US made products. I have a huge political agenda going on, and I am very happy to see Inova and Maglite so well represented on the shelves of brick and mortar stores.
    I was hesitant about the XL100, I knew a part of that $42 price tag here was for the motion sensor. If the XL50 comes in at $25 or less, well that's a great deal at 104 lumens.

Batteries are a issue on many types of lights, so it isn't fair to dismiss the XL50 solely on battery selection. Is it ideal? no. But then again I won't buy any flashlight that runs on CR123 or anything else "exotic" (yeah I know around here there's no such thing as an exotic battery, but I like to keep to the traditional battery forms)
    Mag-Lite 3AA LED, Mag-Lite 2AA LED, ROV Sportsman 1w Headlamp, Inova Radiant AA, Fenix TK41, Streamlight Junior LED

Sorry to say, but Inova was purchased by Nite-Ize.

Nowadays, you can get CR123 cells from any big-name pharmacy. Not cheap, but widely available.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I like the switch adjustment on this one over the motion one on the 100 model also.Looking forward to checking this one out.

Can the tailcaps be switched from the XL100 to the XL50? Any functions lost?

Thanks.

Yup...although not sure why you would want to do that since the rest of the light is identical, and you can't purchase XL50 tailcaps seperately...

Flashaholic

I dont like the 3x AAA format but the light is perfect in size and works very well. I had dropped my xl100 when i first got it and broke the accelerometer. The light would still work but just on and off and in the last mode i had adjusted it to before dropping it.

The xl50 should be another bullet proof light that will just work when needed. I love my maglites and the warranty and service is what keeps my service. When I have had a problem, it had always been replaced and was prompt.

The three modes is just about right with UI and if the tailcap switch is smooth when i get mine in, ill be blown away as its very hard to find a smooth clicky.

Ill report back when i get mine as it should be anytime this week.

Thanks for the awesome review robin as you always keep us nerds informed!!!

Last edited by Unforgiven; 03-17-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    "When you do something right, no one remembers. When you do something wrong, no one forgets."
    Edison was right with dc all along...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast