Maglite XL50 LED Flashlight Review

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED-Resource has posted our review of the Maglite XL50 LED Flashlight! Click here to read our review.

Key Specifications
  • Brightness: 104 lumens high, 26 lumens low, 104 lumens strobe
  • Runtime: 8h 45m high, 36h low
  • Battery: 3 x AAA
  • Length: 4.8″
  • Diameter: 1″
  • Weight with Batteries: 3.68 oz.
  • Warranty: Limited Lifetime
  • MSRP: $29.99
XL50_Runtime.png

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, i had no idea they came out with xl50.

looks to me like basicly xl100 minus motion control, and $20 or so less.

jaws revenge

Newly Enlightened
Great review

When the light is already on (high), how do you switch to low? 2 clicks, or that only works when the light is off?

TomH

Newly Enlightened
Why oh why do they insist on using the 3AAA format?! If I wanted a light that used 3AAA batteries (which i do not!), there are so many cheap chinese lights designed with that form factor that it would probably be impossible to list them all. This light would have been much better had it been designed to use either 1 or 2 AA batteries instead.

Another swing, another miss! :thumbsdow

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, i had no idea they came out with xl50.
Consider this a sneak preview...it should be in stores soon. :popcorn:

Great review

When the light is already on (high), how do you switch to low? 2 clicks, or that only works when the light is off?
You need to turn it off, consecutive button pushes are only recognized when you first turn it on.

Very interesting. I was wondering if the light pre-flashes going to low since you have to double-click the button? Is there a delay turning the light on high?
Yes, there would be a pre-flash because high is briefly engaged. There is no delay with high, one press and it is 100% (unlike the XL100, where there is a short fade-in effect).

T45

Enlightened
Why oh why do they insist on using the 3AAA format?! If I wanted a light that used 3AAA batteries (which i do not!), there are so many cheap chinese lights designed with that form factor that it would probably be impossible to list them all. This light would have been much better had it been designed to use either 1 or 2 AA batteries instead.

Another swing, another miss! :thumbsdow

Hmmm....with all the amazing brain power and creativity on CPF, someone, somewhere could come up with a battery adapter to fit an 18650. Is the problem with the 3AAA format just because so many cheap and poorly made lights have that format as a power source? I passed on the XL100, but I just might get a XL50 in some other color besides black.

Retinator

Enlightened
Sounds ok to me. I swore never to return to the 3-AAA format long ago, but the Xl100 drew me back in. Just get a brick of 12.

I thought that the XL100 was overpriced and the motion control was great only when you could see the mode you were trying to activate.

26 lumens is a tad high for my tastes as a low on the '50.

Hmm may have to try one of these when they come out here.

The focusing on the 100 (same here I'm guessing' didn't impress me. It's either perfect beam or donut hole (same as all mags I suppose). I just think that focusing is overrated.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm....with all the amazing brain power and creativity on CPF, someone, somewhere could come up with a battery adapter to fit an 18650.
If only it were that easy. The problem is that the battery holder carries both positive and negative to both the tail cap and to the LED. The body of the light only serves to protect the innards from harm and carries no electrical signal at all.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to forget that the 18650 is much too large to fit. You need to use a 14500 or 17500.

The focusing on the 100 (same here I'm guessing' didn't impress me. It's either perfect beam or donut hole (same as all mags I suppose). I just think that focusing is overrated.
I wouldn't say I use the focusing feature too often, but it is nice to have. A quarter turn is about all you need, and there won't be a donut hole if you don't turn too much. However, the key advantage is that it allows you to remove the head for complete flood, which I do occasionally use.

TomH

Newly Enlightened
Is the problem with the 3AAA format just because so many cheap and poorly made lights have that format as a power source?

Not at all. I'm not a big fan of AAA powered lights anyway, but those that use 3 just seem stupid to me as most AAA batteries are sold in multiples of 4. Having to buy 3 packs of 4 AAAs so as not to have any "left over" is ridiculous.

An adapter, like you said, would make this light ever so much more useful.

Lawliet

Newly Enlightened
Is the problem with the 3AAA format just because so many cheap and poorly made lights have that format as a power source?
Those direct drive lights are only an emotional reason.
On the rational side you get about 3,6V*800mAh=2,88Wh from a set of such rechargeables. A single 2400mAh AA does the same in a smaller, more convenient and somewhat cheaper package.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clicking through modes is just not my thing, so I think I'd prefer the XL100.

Never heard of the ML100, sounds interesting.

So since the 3AAA battery carrier completes the circuit path on the XL50, I guess a 18500 battery is out as an option?

I have a huge pile of AAA alkaline batteries and about 5 NiMh AAA's going unused, so I might just have to pick another 3AAA light up one of these days.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't really have to click through modes, to get low, you just click the button twice, and after that, the next click turns the light off. I don't think I was clear enough about turning off the light in my review...will have to update that.

You might be able to use a Li-Ion if you can make your own carrier that feeds + to the tailcap and feeds - from the tailcap to the retaining ring around the LED module. It will probably require some machining skills though.