Arc LS or Surefire L4 for EDC?

Drjones

Enlightened
I'm learning that in an urban environment, you often need a fairly bright flashlight due to ambient lighting, compared to rural/wilderness environments where a CMG Ultra or Arc AAA is perfect and anything brighter is total overkill and counterproductively bright.

That, coupled with this damn flashaholism which has begun advanced stages of attack on me and my wallet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SO, I'm looking to either a SF L4 or Arc LS to replace my Inova X5t for EDC.

I'm kinda leaning towards the Arc, since they are having such a wonderful sale and the smaller size seems like it would be better for EDC. Obviously, now on sale, the Arc is less than half the price of the L4. That's hard to argue with.

I recall reading that the L4 blows away the LS as far as overall brightness, but I suspect it may be too bright for many average, everyday uses, which again makes me lean towards the Arc.

I wear a suit to work, and here again I believe the size of the Arc would make it far more convenient as I could just stick it in my pocket like I now do with my Inova.

Opinions and advice please!

Regards,
Drjones

paulr

Flashaholic
The LS is a nice EDC and bright enough for most purposes. I haven't felt the need for an L4 though of course I'd like to have one someday anyway.

Skyline

Enlightened
I don't have an Arc LS, but I do have an E1/KL1 and an L4. I like the L4. However, my second EDC light will be the Arc LS4 when it comes out.

My first EDC light is a Surefire G2Z/P61. It has the power and throw to serve personal security purposes. The L4 kind of doesn't fit. It's too bright for close range, too weak to have significant throw. On the other hand, the 1W Luxeon Star is pretty ideal for a close range EDC light.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion these are apples v, oranges, price/size/output wise.

From what you've stated here, if I was in your shoes I'd go for the LS or maybe LS4.

GregR

WHODYATHINK

Newly Enlightened
ARC LS Is an awesome EDC light that someone would have to pry from my cold, stiff, dead, but well illuminated hands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 watt and small compared to 5 watt and long... I agree with the apples vs oranges comparison.

If you want easy EDC, go with the Arc LS. Pleny of useable light in a compact package.
If you want blindingly bright with the option of putting on a 1 watt KL1 or E2e head with MN03 bulb, go with the Surefire. If you still can't decide, "buy both" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can't recommend any one light for EDC since conditions change. I've carried every one of those combinations, but I can definately say that the Arc is the easiest to carry.

-Jason

Drjones

Enlightened
Thanks guys.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Arc because of the price and size.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Surefire L5 & 6, one of which (probably the L6) will be my "ultra-bright" light.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that I have a need for both, although I don't always carry both. The Arc LS is a true EDC for me because it is easy to carry. I carry the L4 only when I know that I will need extra light. If I could have only one light, it would have to be the Arc LS.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
For ease of carry, longer runtime, and enough light for most situations get the Arc. I use my L4 more, but it takes more of a commitment to carry it as it's slightly larger than the X5t.

onelight

Enlightened
It depends on how you use & pak your edc. I edc the AAA & LS they are both so small and light you can forget that you have them,they will both accept a lanyard on the tail so you can often let them hang and still have enough light if your hands are ocupied.The SF L1 is another option, light weight enough to carrry in a shirt pocket & they accept the tail mount lanyard from the SF A2 so you have 2 levels of light that can often be used hands free hanging from the lanyard. I have the L4 on order but for my use it will not replace my LS & aaa or the SF L1 the ARC LS4 could replace them if I can find an acceptable method of lanyard cary bezel down. So it all depends on how you dress,other items you cary(my belt is full pager cell pnone and other tools I must have to work) Sorry this was so wordy They are all geat lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

blahblahblah

Enlightened
Have you considered a TW4? Smaller size than the L4, but has a 5W LED. Fedex tracking says mine is due to be delivered tomorrow... I can compare it to my LSs and L4 when it arrives.

LoneRebel

Enlightened
With the current sale at Arc I'm rather tempted to pick up a Arc LS. Are the seconds that they are selling for 50 dollars a good deal? Or is shelling out the extra 15 bux worth it? From what I've read it just sounds like a total luck of the draw. If you get one that you dont care for you can return it correct?

Drjones

Enlightened
LoneRebel:

Are the $50 seconds a good deal?

No, they are a positively SCREAMING deal.

I just ordered an LSL for $65. (Which is another screaming deal, BTW). I didn't get a second because I figured it's worth the extra few dollars for the warranty and to know for sure what I'm getting. Sure, I could have ended up with an LSH-P, but I'm not a gambling man...

And yes, you can return the second for whatever reason, though it would be a bit unscrupulous to buy and return several just to try to get one particular model. If you know what you want, buy it as Arc is having a pretty insane sale. Just look at the regular vs. sale prices and see for yourself!

OTOH, if you aren't particular to any one type of LS, it couldn't hurt to get a second. Pretty much every review I've read about the seconds are raving about them.

I decided on the Standard LS Low dome after doing a lot of research here. There doesn't seem to be a huge, screaming difference between the high/low dome and std/premium.

The premium is generally whiter, and the high dome is tighter and throws further, but that's not really what I want out of this light; I want a more flood-like beam.

I think I'll be pretty thrilled with my choice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif