Tritium + Glow Powder?

Demon27

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried gluing a tritium vial with glow powder mixed in? Im wondering if the light from the tritium would help keep the glow powder glowing. Feel free to add pics if you have tried this.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried gluing a tritium vial with glow powder mixed in? Im wondering if the light from the tritium would help keep the glow powder glowing. Feel free to add pics if you have tried this.

No, but I can tell you it won't work. Glow powder works off high-energy photons and tritium vials work off alpha particles. Plus, the green light emitted by tritium is not high energy enough to excite the glow powder.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if it could work, it would be a waste of time and effort: remember the rules of energy - You can't win, You can't break even, You will always lose.

By the time the glow powder has absorbed and re-emitted any light, some energy will have been lost. The light coming from the glow powder would be of a lower intensity to the light coming from the trit. You're better off just keeping the trit as clear as possible to get the most light out of it as you can.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Im wondering if the light from the tritium would help keep the glow powder glowing.

I have but as said, nope it won't. I did not cover the trits with the glow epoxy mix, I have them sitting flush with the surface of the glow epoxy mix.

Img_1811.jpg

Img_1809.jpg

Img_1806.jpg

Img_9340.jpg

Img_9337.jpg

Demon27

Newly Enlightened
I didn't think the vial would be bright enough to charge glow powder. I just wanted to find out from people who have tried it before I bought some. Maybe I will try a layer of reflective powder underneath the tritium vial instead. I might be able to find some at the DOT I work at. They have a highway marking and sign shop. :caution: