What we need in a flashlight store...

charliek

Enlightened
Clothing stores have try-on booths, electronics stores have a room that you can hear the stereo and speakers, Automotive dealers let you take test drives... Flashlight enthusiasts need a store that has a darkened "test room" that you can see what the light looks like before you buy it!

coolguy

Newly Enlightened
I agree but, this "test room" must be as long or twice as long as an indoor shooting range with test targets, i.e. paper with crosses on it, and bushes and indoor trees... It might be cool to have sample dogs to dog walk with as well...

Just some thoughts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

steve_vance

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
coolguy said:
I agree but, this "test room" must be as long or twice as long as an indoor shooting range with test targets, i.e. paper with crosses on it, and bushes and indoor trees... It might be cool to have sample dogs to dog walk with as well...

Just some thoughts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And a stream, and a hamburger joint in case you get hungry, and some babes to walk with you lol.....and music,

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
How 'bout an integrating sphere? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MikeF

Enlightened
The REI Flagship store in Denver used to have a darkened room with quite a few samples of bicycle headlamps on display and available for side by side comparisons. In the infinite wisdom of their management however, they turned it into a stock room. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

charliek

Enlightened
I have yet to find a store with a really good selection of lights... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif So I shop on-line 99.9% of the time.
Which means I don't get to touch the light at all before I buy it.

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
charliek said:
I have yet to find a store with a really good selection of lights... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif So I shop on-line 99.9% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Charlie
You are so right. Except for my Brinkmann lights I have bought all of my flashlights on line. I would not have bought my Streamlight Scorpion if I could have held it in my hand first. I have no complaint with the way it works. I just don't like the way it feels. If the rubber sleeve was tight to the battery tube it would be better but the rubber sleeve moves and I hate that.

James

Experiment_626

Newly Enlightened
LightofMine,

What reccomend you try is removing the rubber sleeve, clean the metal with alcohol, then spray the inside of the sleeve with hair spray. Yes, hair spray.....acts as a lubricant when putting the sleeve back on the light, and once it dries it will keep the rubber from moving without having to ruin the sleeve if you ever have to take it off again for service.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be happy to have a nearby flashlight store of ANY kind. Just to be able to inspect a light -- hold it, take it apart, click the switch -- would be so much more than I have now, that I could do without a "test room" . . . at least for a while.

Paul

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe someone that actually knew something about flashlights?

Possibly very cheap batteries to draw business? Maybe upgrade bulbs and battery holders and conversion sleeves? Some stuff from flashlightlens.com? How about all those products we use I wish I could remember like nygel and WriteRite? What about those products you modder types use I wish I could remember like Flitz and Artic Silver? I've been meaning to open a thread about a product database.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
good service is a key to geting my business.courest employes.good selection.and suport.and great pruducts

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to expand our inventory....the flashlights in "our store" are selling like hot cakes. The modders are happy cuz of all the extra's, we've got all the lubes and accessories that you could want. Time to include multi-tools!

mike

coolguy

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
charliek said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Living here in Hawaii, ordering is the cheapest way, not to mention the only way. I don't have the option to drive anywhere other then on this island. So many of the lights I buy are pretty much sight unseen with the exception of the little photos posted by online shops like brightguy.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
coolguy said:
Agreed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Living here in Hawaii, ordering is the cheapest way, not to mention the only way. I don't have the option to drive anywhere other then on this island. So many of the lights I buy are pretty much sight unseen with the exception of the little photos posted by online shops like brightguy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NJ/NY/PA area has SO many stores..... camping, outdoors, all sorts of stores. Not a ONE can I find with a really good selection of flashlights. Campmor has a few midrange lights- Ramsey Outdoor has a few of the same lights- Walmart is mostly full of dimestore junk. You're right about Brightguy- that's where I feed most of my addiction.