Cellphone as a Flashlight

Robinda

Newly Enlightened
I have seen flashlight applications before on my smartphone an HTC Desire which use the screen backlight. My phone software was recently updated with the 2.2 Android software Froyo, this came with a smart little flashlight app which uses the camera led to provide a flashlight with 3 different power levels. Should prove a useful addition to my phone.

May even delay me purchasing a single aaa light as an EDC.

Anyone with any experience of using their cellphone as a light in a tight spot?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
honestly it's what most people do. And as you said the flash on a lot of phones is quite bright. A phone is also something you usually have on you.

Downsides: not focused in anyway so its only good for close up applications. Also if you use up your battery using the phone as a flashlight then no more calls. Same reason I don't really like using my phone to play games or music or all the crazy things phones do nowadays.

Ishango

Enlightened
I have a couple of phones capable of doing this. I do not prefer the way it works.

I have used it in the past (didn't have many pocketable lights until fairly recently), but found it very untrustworthy and clunky.

It is not a very bright light in most cases. The only phone that does this for me is the Nokia 1650 which has a build-in light for this purpose only. It is acceptable, but my Fenix E01 (on my keyring) will most of the time be brighter and is a lot smaller to hold on to, even small enough to hold in my mouth when needing two hands.

So, it might be what you are looking for, but for me it is only practical if I've forgotten a proper light.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Like someone said it's what most people do. Like trying to use your keys as a pocket knife.

I thought we were on this forum because we prefer to use the right tool for the right job?:nana:

yowzer

Enlightened
I used to have a phone with a single 5mm LED built in to it as a flashlight. Not a lot of light, but enough for, say, unlocking a door in the dark or the like. This was before I discovered CPF...

wantsusa

Newly Enlightened
Well after looking at how much light the iphone 4 puts out with the flash unit being used for a flashlight...I think it actually works, looked about 1-2 lumens directed light maybe more (didn't quite get close enough to my cousins iphone with my quark on low to compare) but way more light then the quark on moonlight.

Philabuster

Newly Enlightened
...but way more light then the quark on moonlight.
Last night, I was showing my GF my new AA Quark and it's moon mode. We later compared the lumen output to the screen output of my old school Nokia 2610 regular phone. It was very close in output.

I use my phone screen to navigate into the bedroom before putting it on the charger to avoid waking up the GF who is already sleeping.

Camera phones made into emergency flashlights sounds cool, but not very practical--yet. I predict in 2-3 years, your smart phone will light up as bright as a Quark on high.

antikythera

Newly Enlightened
I predict in 2-3 years, your smart phone will light up as bright as a Quark on high.

Yeah, that'll be the same week that we see these headlines:

"New study shows 1000% increase in prevalence of impaired vision among teens and young adults."

"New legislation proposed to ban phone use at night: Screen blinds oncoming drivers, causes accidents"

:nana:

jblackwood

Enlightened
I had a Sony Erricson W810i. That phone not only took the best pictures and made calls with ease, the flash LED was a pretty serviceable light. That was before I was a flashaholic, though.

ArmyMedicDad

Newly Enlightened
I have a Nokia E73 Mode. It has the flashlight function built in for the camera light. No need to download an app for it. When the phone lock is on, the keyboard space bar functions as the flashlight switch.

Haven't had to use it yet - always carry my EDC on my belt.

Xacto

Enlightened
Every now and then I did this too, usually with the light of the screen, although my last two mobiles actually had an LED as camera light. But I don't use my iPhone4 for that task. For that, I still use my last phone since it acts as an alarm clock and its number has been the same the last 11 years (so everybody knows it) No iPhone would survive long enough near my bed if being used as an alarm clock. (And of course I am a flashoholic by now, so I have enough lights at hand).

Cheers
Thorsten

earthlight

Newly Enlightened
I have a Nokia N900 and the light is quite usable. Pretty even and makes a great light when you're reading a book in bed.

It also has a good colour balance.

Earthlight

toasterburn

Newly Enlightened
I use my phone screen to navigate into the bedroom before putting it on the charger to avoid waking up the GF who is already sleeping.

+1

That's the only time I use my phone as a light personally, I guess it never hurts to have another backup though.

2005ghostrider

Newly Enlightened
I've used this several times on my Motorola droid. Really comes in handy when u some how find yourself without a flashlight. Believe it or not I've used it to find a better flashlight when the power was out.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great another HTC Desire owner!!!

One of the reasons I got this cellphone is because the led flash is really bright, about 20 lumens.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now have an HTC Magic and HTC Touch Pro 2. I miss the LED flash that could be used as a flashlight on my old Sony Ericsson. It was pretty bright... about 20-30 lumens. I've always wondered if it would be possible to add a little atachment that draws power off my phones USB port and has a dedicated LED. That'd be sweet!