Storacell

Thread: Is it possible to parallel two HID ballast?

Default Is it possible to parallel two HID ballast?

What if wire two 35W HID slim ballast in parallel connect to one igniter one lamp?

would that make a 70W HID?
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

Default Re: Is it possible to parallel two HID ballast?

Quote Originally Posted by ma_sha1 View Post
    What if wire two 35W HID slim ballast in parallel connect to one igniter one lamp?

would that make a 70W HID?
    No you cannot do that.

Thanks, can you explain the reasons?

It is possible but that would damage/greatly shorten the life of the ballast and bulb, because the supplied voltage is not always constant. dont know if that would make it 70w bright...

Flashaholic*

If i get 2 li-ion cell in parallel to push 1 lamp,is it ok?
    No, it will get over drived by the current
    or even it dont get burn, over driving will GREATLY decrease the lifetime

1 ballast is danger enough
    2 in parallel, not to think

Thanks, can you explain the reasons?

The ballast is not a passive device, it is an active device which maintains constant power. 2 ballasts together would create chaos.

The ballast is not a passive device, it is an active device which maintains constant power. 2 ballasts together would create chaos.
    Nice explanation!

Well problem is that ballast AC (voltage go through O from +95V to - 95V ) or DC ( is for lower power normaly for example 24W HID from +65V to O and back ) at frequency cca 250 Hz .
    You must sychronize frequencies at the same clock , otherwise for example if one balast is on +95V and other on -95V result is zero
    Simpler is to have one ballast but you doubled power IGBT transistors conected in H bridge or switch them for more powerfull. You must also sychornize ignition period which is harder because new ballast are normaly digital (and you can do that ) old are analog resonant btw , but ignitior is still analog made from coil winded like autotransformer and powerfull capacitor which stores energy and that part must be literaly equal . That on short
    if you want more you can read for example about electronics

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/slusa23/slusa23.pdf
    Last edited by lucca brassi; 10-17-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucca brassi View Post
    Well problem is that ballast AC (voltage go through O from +95V to - 95V ) or DC ( is for lower power normaly for example 24W HID from +65V to O and back ) at frequency cca 250 Hz .
    You must sychronize frequencies at the same clock , otherwise for example if one balast is on +95V and other on -95V result is zero
    Simpler is to have one ballast but you doubled power IGBT transistors conected in H bridge or switch them for more powerfull. You must also sychornize ignition period which is harder because new ballast are normaly digital (and you can do that ) old are analog resonant btw , but ignitior is still analog made from coil winded like autotransformer and powerfull capacitor which stores energy and that part must be literaly equal . That on short .
    No one would believe this was quoted from a flashlight forum.

so ... what is not correct ?

Flashaholic*

It is not the problem of the net voltage
    it should be the stability of the current
    you will have to maintain the stable arc

By far the best explanation, still not based on facts but it's got some good logics.

The way I see it, short of actually doing it & see, there are possibly three outcomes (Parallel ballast only, use one Igniter)

1, Two Ballast exactly in sync. So they go positive & negative together, end up with 2x AMP, 2x Power.

2, They are in Sync negatively, I.E. +95 & -95 always cancel each other
    Net result, no power, nothing lit up

3, They are completely out of Syn. I.E, each ballast powering the lamp at
    different times. Because the +95 & -95 are applied at different clock, they do not cancel each other. Because no cancellation effect, it'll still be 2x the AMP & 2x the power

Think about PWM dimming (reduce power), except that this is like PWM boosting to increase power.

Looks like there still a good chance this might work,
    now just a matter of who wants to try it first?

Because the two ballasts from a kit will operate by the same frequency,
    they could only be either in Sync. ( positively or negatively) or Out of Sync.,
    Not possible to be a chaos, ie. some times in Sync & some times out of Sync. They are either in our out of Sync completely.

Quote Originally Posted by lucca brassi View Post
    Nice explanation!

Simpler is to have one ballast but you doubled power IGBT transistors conected in H bridge or switch them for more powerfull. You must also sychornize ignition period which is harder because new ballast are normaly digital (and you can do that ) old are analog resonant btw , but ignitior is still analog made from coil winded like autotransformer and powerfull capacitor which stores energy and that part must be literaly equal . That on short
    if you want more you can read for example about electronics

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/slusa23/slusa23.pdf
    Last edited by ma_sha1; 10-18-2010 at 07:53 AM.

2, They are in Sync negatively, I.E. +95 & -95 always cancel each other
    Net result, no power, nothing lit up
    No, the 2xXX watt will not just disappear, probably the ballast will lit up!

Because the two ballasts from a kit will operate by the same frequency,
    they could only be either in Sync. ( positively or negatively) or Out of Sync.,
    Not possible to be a chaos, ie. some times in Sync & some times out of Sync. They are either in our out of Sync completely.
    No, they will not operate at exactly the same frequency, there might easily be a few percent difference.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

There are special current regulating power supplies that are made to be capable of being paired up by synching their timings, but ballasts also have an ignition and boost phase, so I'm not sure how often you'd come across what you're looking for, if ever.

Also, be sure to never operate an HID ballast outside of it's documented methods. They are way too dangerous to mess around with. An acquaintance of mine was just killed by a similar device just a few days ago.
    I like big bulbs and I can not lie, you other brothers can't deny!

Quote Originally Posted by get-lit View Post
    Also, be sure to never operate an HID ballast outside of it's documented methods. They are way too dangerous to mess around with. An acquaintance of mine was just killed by a similar device just a few days ago.

Sorry to hear that, that's terrible news.

Although it's tempting, I am Not going to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by XeRay View Post
    No offence, but I'm a little surprised that this discussion is still going on..

No, I'm not going to say those three. very well known words.. (TJS..)

Ra.
    The proof of the existence of intelligent extra terrestrial life lies in the fact that they didn't contact us yet...
    Maxablaster MB Beamshots 10Watt Mini HID SSC Microblaster!

Thinking Re: Is it possible to parallel two HID ballast?

I know this thread is old but i stumbled across this. Supp there are 2 35w ballasts hooked to one bulb and you can clearly see and hear the two ballasts. Hopefully this is real

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sag9L...e_gdata_player

Quote Originally Posted by 06yfz450ridr View Post
    I know this thread is old but i stumbled across this. Supp there are 2 35w ballasts hooked to one bulb and you can clearly see and hear the two ballasts. Hopefully this is real

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sag9L...e_gdata_player
    Must have 2 stupid (rather than smart) ballasts.

I was hoping for a more classic YouTube video where it exploded violently

So it would appear that it can work, sometimes, maybe.

I wouldn't be brave enough to try it myself...

Wow, didn't think this would really happen, the youtube guy got some big balls

The video ends after only a few seconds of runtime. Maybe it did explode and that was all the footage recoverable from his torched camcorder!

They must be DC output ballasts for this to work, no way they are exactly synchronized if the were at 400 Hz or other AC frequency.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by XeRay View Post
    They must be DC output ballasts for this to work, no way they are exactly synchronized if the were at 400 Hz or other AC frequency.
    I'm probably in the wrong forum but I have 35w morimoto ballast connected to my car, I wanted to test out a 55w morimito ballast that I have. I accidentally connected the 55w plugs that go to the bulbs into the plugs of the 35w ballast by mistake thinking they were the bulb plugs. I turned on the lights but quickly turned them off when I noticed the one bulb didnt turn on. After, I checked both ballast and they both worked fine. What kind of damage would I have caused? They may work now but how about down the road?

Flashaholic

It depends on the type of ballast.
    Electronic ballasts can not be parraleled for various reasons.

The old type of copper/iron ballasts most certainly CAN be parralled, indeed some high power discharge lamp circuits are intended to consist of two ballasts wired in parralel. This is common practice for very large discharge lamps that are not used in large numbers. It is much cheaper and simpler to to use a couple of "off the shelf" ballasts than to custom manufacture small numbers of specials.

As the O/P refers to 2 ballasts, one lamp, and ONE IGNITOR, that suggests that old type copper iron ballasts are being considered since most types of electronic ballast do not use a seperate ignitor.

A pair of 35 watt copper/iron ballasts in parralel WILL work a single 70 watt lamp at ABOUT the correct power input. Lamp operation may be non optimum though, because it assumes that a 70 watt lamp operates at exactly the SAME voltage and exactly TWICE the current of a 35 watt lamp.
    This is not the case, but the difference is small and the lamp will work at least reasonably, but light output, life, colour rendering, or efficiency may be poorer than intended.

Take great care if experimenting with HID lamps and circuits, not only is line voltage potentialy fatal, but the high starting voltage is even more dangerous.
    HID lamps can burst or shatter with great violence even if operated correctly. The risk is potentialy increased by operation otherwise than as instructed by the manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
    It depends on the type of ballast. Electronic ballasts can not be paralleled for various reasons.
    As the O/P refers to 2 ballasts, one lamp, and ONE IGNITOR, that suggests that old type copper iron ballasts are being considered since most types of electronic ballast do not use a seperate ignitor.
    Automotive ballasts (he is asking about) are electronic ballasts. The vast majority of modern automotive ballasts in fact do have the igniter seperated from the ballast. The igniter is either attached to the bulb or very close to the bulb.