Newbie to knives seeking guidance

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm very new to knife collecting and in fact the only blade I have is the one on my Leatherman Charge TTi which I edc. Recently, whilst browsing around CPF and CPFM, I came across some photos and threads of the Hinderer XM-18..................and I was smitten. Now I got to have one !!! As you are all probably already aware, they are very hard to come by and living in Oz makes it even more harder to acquire. It looks like my best avenue is to pick up a pre-owned example on one of the knife forums. I've just joined the Blade Forum with the hope of snagging one of these bad boys. Is this the best way for me to buy an XM-18 ? Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can source one of these beauties ? Please help.

Thanks in advance.

carrot

Flashaholic
All I can say is GOOD LUCK, and be willing to pay A LOT!

I wanted one once but not badly enough over several other great folders to deal with the headache of tracking one down.

Also, you should look to join the USN forums, where I think you have to pay to access the commerce section. Jerzee Devils is also another place to hang out for purveyors of fine custom knives.

Posting a Want To Buy thread is always a good option too. Make sure you list what you are willing to pay.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
All I can say is GOOD LUCK, and be willing to pay A LOT!

I wanted one once but not badly enough over several other great folders to deal with the headache of tracking one down.

Also, you should look to join the USN forums, where I think you have to pay to access the commerce section. Jerzee Devils is also another place to hang out for purveyors of fine custom knives.

Posting a Want To Buy thread is always a good option too. Make sure you list what you are willing to pay.

Thanks Carrot. I've posted a WTB on CPFMP and on Blade Forums. I'll check out the other two forums that you mentioned. Thanks again.

The Sun

Enlightened
Definitely go to USN, there are a few for sale there right now.

it's worth looking for, there is no better knife for EDC use out there IMO.....yet :)

i've have them all and there's always something that's just off on quite a few knives out there, but out of the 7-8 XM's that i've owned and the scores of XM that have passed through my hands there has never been an issue.

Plus, Rick is a great guy and his warranty/turnaround time is second to none if you ever do have some sort of issue.

Hinderer knives are the only knives that make it hard for me to put my own knives in my pocket.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you join up a Jerzee Devil, be sure to post an introduction before anything else.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Definitely go to USN, there are a few for sale there right now.

it's worth looking for, there is no better knife for EDC use out there IMO.....yet :)

i've have them all and there's always something that's just off on quite a few knives out there, but out of the 7-8 XM's that i've owned and the scores of XM that have passed through my hands there has never been an issue.

Plus, Rick is a great guy and his warranty/turnaround time is second to none if you ever do have some sort of issue.

Hinderer knives are the only knives that make it hard for me to put my own knives in my pocket.

Does USN stand for Usual Suspect Network forum ? I just googled USN Forum and that was what came up.....along with US Navy.

Nevermind.....It doesn't look like it's accepting my email address even though it's not a Hotmail or Yahoo account. It's a Bigpond account and it's Australia's major Telco !!! Looks like I will just have to use BF and JD.....

Last edited:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest you E-mail one of the admins. about your E-mail. They can help you with that. The USN is the BEST cumminty out there. It is my home.

gollum

Enlightened
before you commit to spending lots of $ on a really nice knife be aware that customs in Oz are very very inconsistent,what may be ok one day will not the next.
this seems to depend on who scans your parcel.
I would recommend a visit to laventrix.com (aust knife forum) to brush up on the latest happenings.and get a pre arranged import form b797b from the police to submit to customs,if you are prepared to jump through their hoops , to be sure etc.

whilst liner lock and non-assisted blades are legal to import,some knives that are assisted opening and are the same model as non- assisted will appear on their prohibited import list. if the customs person does not know or care to differentiate then your knife will be seized and destroyed.:hairpull:
they will not send it back or show any compassion or common sense.
as far as they are concerned the law is black and white... and unfortunately getting more restrictive by the hour.
thanks to negative media and politics,mans most basic and valuable tool is becoming criminalised :scowl:

anyhow .... rant off

:), there was an article in the courier mail recently about a guy who bought 12 folders at around $1000 each... they were seized and he is trying to get his lawyers to allow them in, his only arguement is he is a collector and the knives will be kept locked up at home at all times... I think he has spent more than the cost of all the knives on legal fees already :sick2:

hope this doesn't put you off too much but just be careful what you try to get in and pray they aren't having a bad day at customs :D