Looking for low quality, poor performing batteries

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Greetings Everyone,

I need some recommendations for low quality, poor performing 18650 lithium-ion, CR123 lithium primary and AA NiMH batteries that I can purchase online.

I know that this sounds like an odd request, but I am doing performance and reliability studies on some relatively high quality commercial batteries (at least I think that they are high quality) and I want to include some low quality batteries of the same type in the study to see if the testing regimen that I am developing will show a difference between the low and high quality cells.

I understand that you might not want to bad mouth a particular manufacturer or supplier, so feel free to PM me with your recommendations. Also, I will not be posting any of the recommendations that are sent to me via PM.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
BG

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
From what I've heard...*most* of the 18650's on eprey are junk clones.

I personally have no issue whatsoever in dealing strictly with dealers supporting CPF (especially AW...he's my go to battery guy).

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Looking for low quality, poor performing batteries"

OK, that is a bit different!

As Nasty mentioned, fleabay is a good place to start, as well as most of the xxxxxFire cells available from most popular dealers. It's difficult to be certain though, as some of these cells are actually pretty decent. That's the problem, inconsistency, you never know what you're going to get.

As for NiMH cells, the most popular (probably) Hong Kong Web dealer offers some cells that most have found to be highly over rated capacity wise, however that doesn't necessarily mean the cells are either, low quality, or poor performing, I guess. Too bad you can't come up with some "new" Energizer 2500 AA cells!

Unfortunately :)thinking:), I haven't bought that many really bad cells of either chemistry over the years. I've either been lucky, or paid attention to what others have experienced, and am really not much help, I guess.

It will be interesting to see how your testing turns out, BG. Good luck in your quest for the ultimate bad cell!:)

Dave

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
radio shack enercell should do it, the worst nimh i had.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some Targus brand 2700 mAh cells that came bundled with a charger. They were at 0 V out of the package and could never achieve more than about 1600 mAh on the C9000. More interestingly, this last weekend I put them on my GP Smart 2 charger (2 A charge rate, −∆V termination). Two of the cells reached 60°C before the charger terminated. They were hot hot hot. (The charger might have hit the max temperature cut-off.) When I test them now, I get varying voltage readings, 0.9 V or 1.0 V or 1.3 V depending on how I angle and press the meter probes on the cell. I think the internal continuity is compromised and I'm wondering if the heat had anything to do with it.

So, to cut a long story short, one measure of cell quality might be how well they stand up to the recommended 1C fast charge rate.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can still find some, check the Duracell AA 2650 mA/h.
They increase their internal resistance consistently at 0.02 Ohm per full cycle.
They are dead after 50 cycles: a monument to bad engineering.

Regards

Anthony

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
GP 1800 mah AA nimh batteries, the orange and green ones are very mislabeled. Qualitywise they are below average, though consistent. I've tested about 75 of these at work. They have high internal resistance so can not do high discharges without getting hot and sagging in volts. Also they were a consistent 600 mah under a 1 amp discharge rate. I suppose you could stretch it and say they were 800 mah but in no way under any testing circumstance are they 1800 mah. Out of the 75 about 2 were bad out of the box and later 8 of them went bad after about a year of near continuous cycling, about 250 cycles. The rest seem to have stabilized and should make it to 1000 cycles or four years.

As for cheap 18650's you can search on this site for bad 18650 brands such as the infamous "Goop" and "Wow" batteries. But you can't paint all xfire 18650's with a bad brush as some of the Trustfire 18650's actually outperformed AW cells in a test, ending up with more capacity and less sag than the venerable AW. Dealextremes revies tend to be a pretty good indicator of popularity if you can maintain 4-5 stars and have at least 10 reviews. This is especially true if some of the expert users post with actual scientifically gleaned info such as actual test results.

Kaamos

Newly Enlightened
Oh, if only could you find a Lidl store (German chain that also has stores here in Finland). They sell "Tronic" brand AA NiMHs that are ultimate junk. I bought eight, and I could push the best of the "2500 mAh" batteries to about 700 mAh after several refresh cycles. I guess at least some of the poor performance comes from the fact that the cells had been packaged empty and/or stored for a very long period, the voltages were between 0.1 and 0.8 V out of the carton. I have been told the NiMHs don't exactly like such low voltages.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering I only got 600 mah out of my cheap cells it could be assumed that some of the manufacturers are purposefully relabeling old nicd's as nimh because as I recall nicd AA's seemed to peak at about 800 mah before nimh stepped in starting at 1600 mah, double the capacity. I wish I could tear some apart AND do a mass spectrometry on them. If I found cadmium I'd love to spearhead a lawsuit against the manufacturer. Heck you may just find mercury and or lead in them too.

KentS

Newly Enlightened
Oh, if only could you find a Lidl store (German chain that also has stores here in Finland). They sell "Tronic" brand AA NiMHs that are ultimate junk. I bought eight, and I could push the best of the "2500 mAh" batteries to about 700 mAh after several refresh cycles. I guess at least some of the poor performance comes from the fact that the cells had been packaged empty and/or stored for a very long period, the voltages were between 0.1 and 0.8 V out of the carton. I have been told the NiMHs don't exactly like such low voltages.
Crap, I just got a bunch of them. They were labeled with their manufacturing date just some months ago, hope this will mean at least a couple of them works.

vali

Enlightened
Crap, I just got a bunch of them. They were labeled with their manufacturing date just some months ago, hope this will mean at least a couple of them works.

I had several of them too. They were consistent in one thing: all of them losed capacity with every charge and they had about 80% of the stated capacity initially.

Funny thing is I keep reading people in some forums saying they are great cells :poke: I wonder what kind of crap they are used to.