USA made assault pack - for hiking

pulstar

Enlightened
Hello,

i often do two-days mountain trips and i'm looking for a new backpack. I've tried lots of different backpacks but ALL of them somehow failed. Some didn't have enough pockets, others were poorly made and now i'm pretty sure it's time to purchase something that will last for a few years.

I really like the design of military assault packs, but there are so many counterfeits i just don't know which would be quality enough.
I need a pack around 35 litres (maybe even three-days pack) spacious enugh for essential gear for 2-3 days. (sleeping bag, some clothes, a few litres of wather and so on...)
I would really like a pack which has internal straps to secure 1.5 litre (standard in EU) plastic bottles of water.

USA made product have never failed me and i would really like to get a pack in a 80$ range.

Thanks for your recommendations.

carrot

Flashaholic
You might be hard-pressed to find a pack for $80 that is made in USA. That said, Kifaru is a good place to start looking, but they don't come cheap.

pulstar

Enlightened
Well, i'm willing to pay more, quality rarely comes cheap :) Do you know about other made in USA brands? Maxpedition is the only one i can think of...

Newly Enlightened
Take a look on 5.11 Rush 24 or 72 series. They are pretty good.

For Maxpedition Falcon II or Condor II might be suit your need. Maxpedition also make good quality backpack but i think 5.11 is offer more room (i.e capacity).

With both brands you can't go wrong. Good Luck

carrot

Flashaholic
Well, i'm willing to pay more, quality rarely comes cheap :) Do you know about other made in USA brands? Maxpedition is the only one i can think of...
The only one I could think of was Kifaru. I checked one of my favorite pack makers and Granite Gear also makes tactical packs in the USA.

If you're willing to forget the "tactical assault" look, try Gossamer Gear. Or ULA Equipment.

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi again guys,

i put my eye on Maxpedition Condor II backpack. It seems spacious enough, has the attachments for sleeping bag, and a few straps for comfortable wear even for longer periods. What do you guys think? I would probably also order r-7 pouch for my knife, cellphone and I.D...

pulstar

Enlightened
Just talked with the Maxpedition CS and found out, that all their nylon products are made in Taiwan. :shakehead That wouldn't be such a big deal, but they still maintain their high prices and fool us that they could be US made... Too bad:mecry:

Philip2

Newly Enlightened
Why not second-hand, if money is a problem? Military backpacks are to heavy for your purpose.