Need help selecting good flashlights

ElectricZombie

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I really don't know anything about flashlights, but am looking for a high quality flashlight that I can carry in my pocket every day. I want something that has a sharp, extremely bright and clear beam and a long throw. I would prefer that the light have a pocket clip, but this is not 100% necessary I guess. I would also like the light to have a tail switch if possible. I'm thinking about getting an LED flashlight and a regular bulb style light for different uses. I don't really want to spend much more than $100.00. I love the ultra white light of an LED, but don't know if such a light will be appropriate for illumination over a long distance.

I was looking around at www.brightguy.com and noticed that a lot of lights are dual LED and regular bulb based. Should I just get one of these instead? Many of these models only have 3 LEDs and I'm not sure if that will provide enough light. Should I just get a separate LED light and a separated bulb light? Are there any LED lights that have the throw of a bulb style light?

What lights do you guys recommend that fit my criteria?

I have been considering the following:

Streamlight
TL-2 LED

Streamlight
2L Twin-Task

Streamlight
1L Twin-Task

Streamlight
3AA Twin-Task

Streamlight
3AA Luxeon Task-Light

Sure Fire
E2E-HA Executive Elite

Which light offers the best beam and brightness?

Thanks

coolguy

Newly Enlightened
All of the lights you have chosen are GREAT lights. There are those who will suggest the E2E, and there are those that will suggest the twin tasks, and ARCs...

Best Beam and Brightness really are relative terms here and are apt to stir up Debate.

In any case are you looking for one or multiple lights for your collection? Are you simply looking for an everyday carry? You have to accept that you will compromise one thing for another when choosing any of these lights. The TL-2 and ARC-LS are currently my everyday carrys. The TL-2 runs for approximately 4 peak brightness hours with excellent throw for an LED. The ARC-LS also provides awesome brightness with limited throw. An Incandescent offers much better throw but, compromises that really white color, runtime, and the convenience of never having to change bulbs. Twin Tasks offer you a decent incandescent with decent led light. But, mind you the twin task leds are no luxeons, i.e. ARC-LS, TL-2, and 3 AA Luxeon Task.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'd pick a SureFire E2E-HA and a KL1! The best of both worlds! Shop around - watch the sales should be able to get em' both for around $100! SureFire quality with a lifetime warranty...

paulr

Flashaholic
The only really long-throw LED lights I know of are modder lights like Mr. Bulk's Space Needle. You can probably get one of those on BST in the $100 range. But it's built on a 3C Mag host and is way too big to EDC.

Actually there's another possibility, the Princeton Tec Impact and Impact II. These use a focusing optic and have a narrow beam for long throw. You can also look at the UKE 2AAA eLED.

Why do you care so much about long distance illumination in an EDC light? The usual uses for an EDC are to find your way around in the dark, to find something you dropped, etc.

You could try a hybrid light like an SL TT 2L or 1L (I'd say the other models are too big). These are a little bulky for EDC, and they have an awkward multi-click switch mechanism. A more upscale light with a 2-step switch is the Surefire A2, a bit above your $100 limit.

I'm not familiar with the TL-2.

You should also be looking at the Surefire L4, which you can find in the $120-130 range.

Best is to actually try out these lights--don't go by written descriptions.

ElectricZombie

Newly Enlightened
coolguy,

Yeah, I know that I'm going to have to compromise somewhere.

I'm looking for one good light that will have a nice beam and preferably a pocket clip. Either LED or regular bulb is fine as long as it has a decent throw of nice white light. I know that to get a really nice white beam, I need to get an LED. I really like the beam of an LED so, that's probably what I'll get.

I'm kind of leaning towards the TL-2 Luxeon LED. I can always buy an incandescent light later if needed. Are there any other good Luxeon LED lights that are similiar in price to the TL-2?

Why do the Luxeon LED lights produce more light? I'm not familiar with them.

How far does your TL-2 throw?

Thanks again.

ElectricZombie

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
I'd pick a SureFire E2E-HA and a KL1! The best of both worlds! Shop around - watch the sales should be able to get em' both for around $100! SureFire quality with a lifetime warranty...

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know that Surefire sold such a conversion kit. Will this LED conversion produce as much light as a similiar Streamlight LED?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really don't know anything about flashlights.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would pick the Surefire E2e in satin gray finish about $56
and also the KL1 LED head.

Others will may suggest the Streamlight Twin Task models. They may be just fine for your needs. I can only comment on the Twin-task 3C model, since I do have that one. For the price it is a decent light. I'm buying one for my brother and going to give him my other one.

GregR

ElectricZombie

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
I would pick the Surefire E2e in satin gray finish about $56
and also the KL1 LED head.
GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the KL4 Conversion Head? Is it worth the extra cash? Should I just stick with the KL1 head?

Also, where can I find and E2E for $56.00?

coolguy

Newly Enlightened
The throw of the TL-2 for a LED is impressive. I believe it's the first luxeon that uses a reflector and not optics. The light focuses to the top of a 30 foot tree in a residential neighborhood type lighting enough to show color. Sorry but, I don't have any equipment to test lux... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If you'd like to buy just one light right now, and would like to spend not too much money on it, why not try the Streamlight Twin Task 2L?

In the absence of a lot of natural or man made light, the LEDs are pretty good. From the end of the hall to the back wall of my bedroom is close to 50 feet. Standing with my back to the garage door, I could see the items on the wall back there. Not lit up as day by anymeans, but I wasn't dark adapted either.

The incandescent beam is pretty good. Not nearly as bright as my Pelican M6, but then it focuses quite a bit tighter. Also the batteries in my 2L are now probably nearly an hour of LED and up to 20 minutes of Xenon old.

At certainly under 40 bucks, why not try it?

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TL-2 LED can light up the side of my neighbor's garage that's approximately 150' feet away. Mind you, it won't light it up as good as a Brinkmann Legend LX, but still lights it up pretty damn good for a 1W luxeon! Plus it has excellent peripheral light, a pocket clip, and it's easily small enough to EDC (...not to mention the excellent run time!). IMHO, the TL-2 LED fills a LOT of niches for an LED light.

PJD

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
ElectricZombie-

I sent you a PM (Private Message), concerning where you can get an E2e Satin Gray for $56

GregR

Drjones

Enlightened
A few thoughts:

- Unless you have a regular need for it, you are going to find that 99% of the time you need a flashlight, you only need it for short to medium-range work.

- Most of the time you need a flashlight, something very small and not ultra-bright will do the job just fine. Something like a keychain light like an Arc AAA. Of course, owning only one or two flashlights isn't very much fun, now is it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Most of the time when you need a flashlight, you are going to find a more flood-like beam (the best are given by LEDs) far more useful than the tighter beam of an incandescent.

I'd recommend either the Inova X5, Arc LS, or Surefire L4.

Just my two cents...

ElectricZombie

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Drjones said:
I'd recommend either the Inova X5, Arc LS, or Surefire L4.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have been considering the L4 also. I did a search and they seem to be highly regarded here on CPF. Does anyone know how far an L4 will throw?

Drjones

Enlightened
They are very highly regarded indeed.

I've read that they are good out to about 25 yards, maybe more.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a good page of beamshots comparing many lights. It is in the Reviews forum also.

From personal experience the L4 can throw well over 100 feet, but at that distance the beam is very spread out. The whiteness of the Luxeon plays a big part here because of the way it illuminates the area it seems to leave less shadows giving you a better picture of what you are looking at.

Incandescent lamps of the same power will throw farther, particularly in conditions where there is still some ambient light. But for me the L4 is the perfect blend of bright white flood light and decent throw. Plus I have to give a big /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif to the ruler flat regulation and the clickie tailswitch.