so how durable are the alum EDC lights?

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
Anyone unlucky enough drop one yet, and how did it fair?

I understand titanium is nice but some say it limiits performance due to retaining more heat or something along those lines. I went for aluminum on my tri EDC but would love to hear how durable the EDC series of macs lights are.

Someone has to have dropped one so lets hear about it. :)

Connor

Enlightened
Aluminum, even high grade aircraft aluminum is a relatively soft metal that will scratch and dent rather easily. Good thing about scratches is that you can brush them out quickly and give the light a like-new "brushed metal" appearance, if you do it right.

Last edited:

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
Well yes even on my surefires i have dings on the bezels which doesnt bother me now. Like my Ra tactical i know it can take a beating and was designed around that idea so i am looking to see how a mac edc light does.

Nobody using these lights and dropped one? Are u guys all closet shelf queen light buyers?:nana:

I take care of my things but i have dropped my lights at some point. Right now my Ra is still virgin but its time will come some day to hit the floor.

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has help up pretty well,no drops,but I did polish it last week to remove surface scratches,it looks like new.I carry it in pocket, I tried a nylon holster bur it was scatching it up even more than pocket carry.
I used Iosso metal polish/claener.

bodhran

Enlightened
I use Renaissance Wax on my Aluminum SST50. A quality wax used by many museum's to protect metals. I have used this on my high carbon steel sword for a couple of years now and even though it has been out in the rain, the blade is beatiful, and has never seen a drop of oil. I applied 3 coatings, the same as with the sword, and after a couple months of use, is still as nice as the day I recieved it. I keep mine in a holster and see no scatches.

Last edited:

Tessaiga

Enlightened
A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator
I use Renaissance Wax on my Aluminum SST50. A quality wax used by many museum's to protect metals. I have used this on my high carbon steel sword for a couple of years now and even though it has been out in the rain, the blade is beatiful, and has never seen a drop of oil. I applied 3 coatings, the same as with the sword, and after a couple months of use, is still as nice as the day I recieved it. I keep mine in a holster and see no scatches.

Hey, I have that wax too, but I havent really figured how to apply that to metals... what do you actually do with the wax on the light??

KenAnderson

Enlightened
I use my alum and Ti lights on a daily basis to search for and study antiques, paintings, instruments, etc...and have dropped my lights both alum and Ti on wood, carpet, earth and concrete floors. I would say no more than 5 feet drop at any one time but for my beater lights, they get used heavily. When I used to carry the old battery crusher lights that don't have springs holding the batteries, a drop was instant death to the battery. But since I only carry battery friendly lights now, I've never seen a failure. My beater lights actually look pretty good. A few scratches and finish dings, but they would polish out fine if I cared. I just care that they work well and all the time.